AUDEZE LCD XC
Jun 15, 2019 at 5:05 PM Post #3,316 of 4,144
Hi. Yeah. It is the old adage where by with the right amp And DAC the warmth factor can set quite high with the XC’s. I know they aren’t the warmest out there but they can be pretty close.
For me. They have thundering bass.
I love them. Very soft and easy on the ears.
So how is the XC soundstage compared to your HD800’s?

Jun 15, 2019 at 5:18 PM Post #3,317 of 4,144

Very different. The HD800's are known for having an open soundstage, comparable to speakers are a live event. In my opinion, the XC's have a "closed" and intimate soundstage. You know you're listening to a pair of headphones with them but that's okay because they kill at being what they are, a closed pair of headphones.

Jun 15, 2019 at 5:43 PM Post #3,318 of 4,144
Very different. The HD800's are known for having an open soundstage, comparable to speakers are a live event. In my opinion, the XC's have a "closed" and intimate soundstage. You know you're listening to a pair of headphones with them but that's okay because they kill at being what they are, a closed pair of headphones.
Yeah I guess that’s an extreme comparison there.....some of the best soundstage HP’s compared with a really good closed design.

I was finding my X’s too dark. I know the XC are brighter, but I don’t want to totally loose the 3D soundstage of the X’s if I go for the XC’s.

Jun 15, 2019 at 6:04 PM Post #3,319 of 4,144
I know. You’d think at 20 OHMS (purely resistive) they would not be so picky with amps, but they actually are! Lol. The joys of owning a planar with 130MM drivers.
XC’s need quality. I’ve A/B’d enough to know that.
Also. I love that you got a Chord DAC with them. I’ve done the same. I use the warm filter (orange) most of the time. Sounds incredible with the XC’s.
I’ve yet to try the Focal Stellia, but for now the XC’s are my closed back kings. :)

20 Ohms and 100dB SPL/mW (at drum reference point) is indeed a very easy electrical load, but being low resistance the Current is more a factor than Voltage so some amps may not be suited for the XC like they would be for high impedance headphones. Indeed, Audeze now recommends a minimum of 100mW and preferably 250mW for the XC which is much more in line with reality than their past blanket marketing of 1-4W for all of their headphones.

I suggest that 'picky with amps' has more to do with amp design and synergy than with raw power, given how the upper mids/lower treble is somewhat accentuated on the XC.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2019 at 5:05 PM Post #3,320 of 4,144
The HD800's are known for having an open soundstage, comparable to speakers are a live event

True that, HD800 are quite remarkable on this count after all those years since their launch.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jun 22, 2019 at 5:16 PM Post #3,321 of 4,144
Hi,

Does someone have experience with Campfire Atlas and/or Solaris and how are they in comparison with LCD-XC? I use Campfire Atlas and am very fine with them, but looking for new experience. I'm considering Solaris and LCD-XC. Regarding LCD-XC I'm interested whether they are superior to mentioned IEMs? I use LPGT as a source.

Thanks in advance.

Jun 22, 2019 at 9:01 PM Post #3,322 of 4,144

Absolutely apples and oranges.
Hd 800’s are super wide and super deep.

XC’s have a more thicker and dense sound. Truly more beautiful than the 800 with the low end aspect. :)

Jun 22, 2019 at 9:05 PM Post #3,323 of 4,144
Hi,

Does someone have experience with Campfire Atlas and/or Solaris and how are they in comparison with LCD-XC? I use Campfire Atlas and am very fine with them, but looking for new experience. I'm considering Solaris and LCD-XC. Regarding LCD-XC I'm interested whether they are superior to mentioned IEMs? I use LPGT as a source.

Thanks in advance.

No. I have the campfire IO’s, so since you have the Atlas I sincerely hope you get the XC’s so I can hear your comparisons between the two.
I hear the Atlas exhibit some serious low end.
Be so interesting to hear if the XC’s surpass the Atlas in that regard for you.
Planar bass extension is pretty serious. It might be greater than your Atlas, which is my next IEM purchase. :wink:

Jun 24, 2019 at 5:10 AM Post #3,324 of 4,144
No. I have the campfire IO’s, so since you have the Atlas I sincerely hope you get the XC’s so I can hear your comparisons between the two.
I hear the Atlas exhibit some serious low end.
Be so interesting to hear if the XC’s surpass the Atlas in that regard for you.
Planar bass extension is pretty serious. It might be greater than your Atlas, which is my next IEM purchase. :wink:

Many thanks for feedback.

Unfortunately I have no ability for audition of XC yet. Yes, Atlas has very good bass. In other ranges it is also fine (colored) for my taste, keeping in mind that it is DD (I like DD IEMs and not BA; hybrid seems as some trade-off for me). I would expect from XC even more bigger sound, that is more closer to room sound system.

Jun 25, 2019 at 5:30 AM Post #3,326 of 4,144
20 Ohms and 100dB SPL/mW (at drum reference point) is indeed a very easy electrical load, but being low resistance the Current is more a factor than Voltage so some amps may not be suited for the XC like they would be for high impedance headphones. Indeed, Audeze now recommends a minimum of 100mW and preferably 250mW for the XC which is much more in line with reality than their past blanket marketing of 1-4W for all of their headphones.

I suggest that 'picky with amps' has more to do with amp design and synergy than with raw power, given how the upper mids/lower treble is somewhat accentuated on the XC.

100% agree. A wonderful post here. This is what explains why the XC’s need a more refined amp.
The notice or loss that I hear when the XC’s aren’t given their proper loads is dynamics. If not driven correctly the XC’s sound like such an ordinary headphone. Very flat sounding. Thank goodness I knew to have above average gear to compliment them appropriately. :)

Thanks for the great response here.

Jun 25, 2019 at 5:40 AM Post #3,327 of 4,144
Many thanks for feedback.

Unfortunately I have no ability for audition of XC yet. Yes, Atlas has very good bass. In other ranges it is also fine (colored) for my taste, keeping in mind that it is DD (I like DD IEMs and not BA; hybrid seems as some trade-off for me). I would expect from XC even more bigger sound, that is more closer to room sound system.

Sorry to hear that. I hope you do get to draw the comparisons between the Atlas and XC. That would be real interesting. Also, hopefully at some point I can grab the Atlas’s and report my findings here. :)

Jun 25, 2019 at 5:44 AM Post #3,328 of 4,144
Agreed, bass heavier and in general developed better.

Yeah they really do, however the HD 800’s does just about everything else better than the XC in terms of width and depth of soundstage representation. As much as I love my XC’s I don’t ever fool myself just how good the 800’s are in some areas. That is the beauty of having both !!! :)

Jun 25, 2019 at 6:37 AM Post #3,329 of 4,144
Hi, has anyone compared the XC (2016 drivers) with the LCD-MX4? I was considering to buy the MX4 to complement the XC with an HP that could provide a more wider and deeper sound stage. I already have LCD-2 Non Fazor but don't think they're fulfill that aspect I'm looking for. The Hd800s might be the answer but I like a lot the aesthetics of the MX4 and of the Audeze brand overall.

Jun 25, 2019 at 6:55 AM Post #3,330 of 4,144
100% agree. A wonderful post here. This is what explains why the XC’s need a more refined amp.
The notice or loss that I hear when the XC’s aren’t given their proper loads is dynamics. If not driven correctly the XC’s sound like such an ordinary headphone. Very flat sounding. Thank goodness I knew to have above average gear to compliment them appropriately. :)

Thanks for the great response here.

Hi, what do you mean by a "more refined amp"? What should I be looking for? I have a v280 and I believe it's a good amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back