AUDEZE LCD XC
Jul 24, 2017 at 1:47 PM Post #2,792 of 4,137
Indeed.
Please, no flame wars between it and the Fostex TH900.

Honest impressions are the name of the game.

I'm happy to say I've actually heard both! Different set ups but the same track, the TH 900 sounds... exactly how people describe it, bright up top, BIG POWERFUL well controlled bass, and a little thin in the mids... I wasn't a fan of how it imaged in stock form... but the tonality was on par with how people talk about it. Really enjoyed it out of a RSA SR 71B and my HM901 [Vintage filter]

but I've got the XC on demo for a month or so, a big thank you at a friend for allowing me to demo them, non the less I'm impressed so far enjoying the Planar bass, I can say that at the very least the LCD XC has better depth over the TH 900, other than that I've got no thoughts

I will how ever be comparing the LCD XC to my ZMF Eikon!

In that regard, having just a first listen [volume matched] the XC is quite shouty in comparison to the Eikon... it has a more solid bass! YAY Planar bass, but it lacks the mid rage tactility of the Eikon... I'm listening to Mile's Davis "So What" and I'm missing how each of the individual paino notes hit you on the Eikon, granted the XC is a bit more DYNAMIC with the horns, but again the Eikon's just a touch fuller with better tactility, I'm using a WireWorld Red Cable for the XC and I'm running out of the iCan Micro SE

Now I run my Eikon out of the Ember II at 35R, when I switch into the LCD XC at .1R on the Ember II [Volume matched]... I get some better tactility in the mid range but it's hit or miss on the Piano, the Horns aren't as shouty any more! But the bass is a little bit looser and the overall image starts to suffer :/ I loose some depth,

My Project Ember II doesn't have the power for such a low impedance planar, it'll do 2.4w into 64ohms and some how less into 32, closer to a watt, on the other side the iCan does 4w into 16ohms, and I assume as you increase impedance you decrease total output

that said I'll be trying out my NFB10ES2 later today, as when I do I have to change out the Cable on the XC

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2017 at 2:52 PM Post #2,793 of 4,137
I've posted in this thread about how harsh and grainy my XC's were until I switched to a cardas cable. I recently bought a new DAC/AMP combo. (Yulong DA9) I tried the stock XLR cable and no harshness. I guess my Burson Conductor Virtuoso was just a bad match for the XC. The XC still have no shortage of treble but harshness is no longer an issue for me. The XLR connection really seems to boost the dynamics and sound stage as well. My XC's are really singing now. Very happy I held on to them.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2017 at 5:41 PM Post #2,794 of 4,137
I've posted in this thread about how harsh and grainy my XC's were until I switched to a canare cable. I recently bought a new DAC/AMP combo. (Yulong DA9) I tried the stock XLR cable and no harshness. I guess my Burson Conductor Virtuoso was just a bad match for the XC. The XC still have no shortage of treble but harshness is no longer an issue for me. The XLR connection really seems to boost the dynamics and sound stage as well. My XC's are really singing now. Very happy I held on to them.
They sound great out of the Ampsandsound Leeloo as well. No treble issues there either.

Aug 7, 2017 at 2:42 AM Post #2,795 of 4,137
From audeze:
Here's some information on some of the changes our 2016 driver revision has brought to the table:

-Reduced diaphragm thickness: Reduces driving mass for greater diaphragm response.
-Higher compliance: Lowers resonance for improved low frequency extension and bass definition.
-Optimized magnetic circuit: Creates more uniform magnetic flux distribution for a more uniform driving force, smooths frequency response, lowers distortion, with greater resolution and improved imaging.
-Improved diaphragm tensioning: A new system delivers better performance and improved consistency for less variation between units.
-Improved internal damping: Better, more controlled bass and a smoother overall frequency response.
-New voicing: Smooths the midrange response

Now the xc is super smooth?. I don't like the smooth headphones :/. I like more the trasparency

Hi guys ,anyone can comments on the new upgraded XC n the older version XC? I m considering whether to pay $500 to upgrade it. :p but I m cautious about it. So please do let me know more information. Thks.

Aug 10, 2017 at 11:36 AM Post #2,796 of 4,137
Hi guys ,anyone can comments on the new upgraded XC n the older version XC? I m considering whether to pay $500 to upgrade it. :p but I m cautious about it. So please do let me know more information. Thks.
If you look at my profile, you can be sure, that the new XC is more than enough transparent. I'm really enjoying listening to them.
I have a question: I would like to buy a short cable for my Audeze - for Onkyo DP X1a - balanced 2.5 mm. Does anyone have a suggestion? I'm from Europe.

audeze.jpg

Aug 11, 2017 at 12:18 AM Post #2,797 of 4,137
I upgraded to the 2016 version after my drivers failed. To me they are a whole new headphone. The biggest improvement was smoothing of the 1-3 KHz peak that was grating to my ears. Also the 200-300 Hz thump was eliminated. Now I'm turning them up and getting more extended lows and highs. Only problem is, they sound better than my LCD-3 which has been sitting in my closet. If you are not satisfied with the existing sound of your LCD-XC, the upgrade will certainly fix that. If you're OK with the sound right now, why mess with that.

As for cable, TTVJ has Cardas Clear on sale right now, I am picking up a set for my LCD-XC.

Aug 11, 2017 at 8:50 AM Post #2,798 of 4,137
I am in that camp that already love my 2015 XC and would be very uncomfortable of upgrading its drivers to the latest specs without listening to it first...

Aug 20, 2017 at 5:51 PM Post #2,799 of 4,137
I upgraded to the 2016 version after my drivers failed. To me they are a whole new headphone. The biggest improvement was smoothing of the 1-3 KHz peak that was grating to my ears. Also the 200-300 Hz thump was eliminated. Now I'm turning them up and getting more extended lows and highs. Only problem is, they sound better than my LCD-3 which has been sitting in my closet. If you are not satisfied with the existing sound of your LCD-XC, the upgrade will certainly fix that. If you're OK with the sound right now, why mess with that.

As for cable, TTVJ has Cardas Clear on sale right now, I am picking up a set for my LCD-XC.
I have 2 * Audeze LCD-XC (one at home and one at the office; in addition to the LCD-4 200 ohm edition), both from 2014. I now have the possibility to upgrade to 2016 edition without any cost (for both). Based on your statement, this is something you recommend :)

I have been happy with the sound from LCD-XC, but compared to LCD-4 (200 ohm edition) they are "crap" :) I hope the 2016-edition will make them a bit more closer (I don't expect them to sound like the LCD-4 of course).

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2017 at 11:48 PM Post #2,800 of 4,137
I have 2 * Audeze LCD-XC (one at home and one at the office; in addition to the LCD-4 200 ohm edition), both from 2014. I now have the possibility to upgrade to 2016 edition without any cost (for both). Based on your statement, this is something you recommend :)

I have been happy with the sound from LCD-XC, but compared to LCD-4 (200 ohm edition) they are "crap" :) I hope the 2016-edition will make them a bit more closer (I don't expect them to sound like the LCD-4 of course).
I really think the 2016 edition of LCD-XC is a big improvement in many areas. I feel the pre-2016 versions were inherently flawed because they just stuck the same LCD-X driver into a sealed headphone. I believe it really needed some tuning to match the enclosure and boy did Audeze come through.

I was surprised that I preferred them over the LCD-3. But since I only have one pair, the LCD-XC are now at the office and the LCD-3 are on my head (playing LMR) until I get my own LCD-4!

Aug 21, 2017 at 12:04 PM Post #2,801 of 4,137
Just handed in my two LCD-XCs for upgrade; borrowed a set of Sony MDR-Z1R while I wait for the upgrade (from my local dealer). On my setup, the LCD-XC (2014 version) is _SO_ much better in all aspects. The Z1R sounds more "synthetic"/flat; harsh tops; and less punch in lower frequencies (the Z1R does not lack punch; but it sounds more fake - also missing the microdetails; the room in the recordings are gone.... what remains are very 2D). They sound less natural, and slightly "filtered" compared to Audeze LCD-XC. So I can't wait to get them back again :)

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2017 at 12:40 PM Post #2,802 of 4,137
I had both the XC (pre 2016) and the Z1R. I sold the Z1R. The XC was just so much detailed and transparent. The Z1R was more comfortable to wear (lighter), but also caused me ear ache because I suspect of the bass coming out of the 70mm drivers. The XC is still my go to headphone for closed.....although curious about the 2016 drivers,,,,how did you end up getting a free upgrade?

Aug 21, 2017 at 1:29 PM Post #2,803 of 4,137
I had both the XC (pre 2016) and the Z1R. I sold the Z1R. The XC was just so much detailed and transparent. The Z1R was more comfortable to wear (lighter), but also caused me ear ache because I suspect of the bass coming out of the 70mm drivers. The XC is still my go to headphone for closed.....although curious about the 2016 drivers,,,,how did you end up getting a free upgrade?
No clue; asked for price for upgrade and the Nordic importer said they would fix it for free. Maybe I've spent to much money?

Aug 21, 2017 at 3:35 PM Post #2,805 of 4,137
If you look at my profile, you can be sure, that the new XC is more than enough transparent. I'm really enjoying listening to them.
I have a question: I would like to buy a short cable for my Audeze - for Onkyo DP X1a - balanced 2.5 mm. Does anyone have a suggestion? I'm from Europe.

Frank at Toxic will help you out - I have a 2.5mm balanced cable for my XCs (Silver Widow 22 OCC) and it is out of this world. Frank will do any length - I got 4ft, although 3 or 3.5ft would probably have done.

https://www.toxic-cables.co.uk/product-category/headphone-cables/

Toxic have a thread on Head-fi and you can message Frank direct with any questions. He is always very busy and cables take about 4 months to appear, but it's worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back