AUDEZE LCD XC
Jun 24, 2014 at 3:32 PM Post #1,471 of 4,144
  I heard the Audeze LCD-XC for the first time last Saturday with with a Ayre QB-9 + Leben integrated + Synergistic Research PowerCell 4 SE + SR Active USB cable and also XCs + BMC PureDAC in balanced mode. In both cases I was very impressed with the XCs. Fantastic resolution, perfect tonal balance imo and very confortable, at least in the short time I listened to them. I am more of a speakers person, and the XCs are the best headphones I have yet heard.

There was also a Sennheiser HD800 to compare side by side. Not only the bass was a little thinner than the XCs in quantity, I much preferred the resolution of the mids and highs in XCs. The HD800s are very very good of course, but the XCs are just better, not only in my opinion but for all others there present.

If one takes into consideration all the cables and accessories that come standard, plus the fact that is very low impedance and high sensitivity, the XCs are easy to drive and I believe (I have not tested yet) that the XCs may be a killer match to high-end DAPs such as A&K and Calyx M.

I would only cite as inconveniences (not really cons) the weight and the appearance. I think the materials are all high quality but it looks rather bulky and simple compared to the the headband mechanics and construction of the HD800 or Beyers even. But soundquality is incredible, nothing missing or in excess imho.

Hi Matias,

I agree, the XCs are the best headphones I've ever owned and are able to bring me to an even greater sense of emotional involvement than my main speaker system. First time that's ever happened in over 30 years of being an audiophile with numerous headphone purchases.

I use mine with an AK240 and they sound great together. I did upgrade the stock cables to Double Helixes to take advantage of the balanced output of the 240.

Before the XCs, I was never a huge fan of the aesthetics of the Audeze headphones feeling they had a look that was more reminiscent of a hobbyist design instead of something coming from one of the big headphone makers. I feel the same way about Grados, however, it didn't stop me from owning a pair of RS1s. With the XCs, the wood cups and metal frames really ramp up the design. There are still little detail things that I wish were different such as the yoke design, but all in all, I'm extremely happy with my purchase.

Jun 24, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #1,472 of 4,144

Thanks but I want to use my iDevice only actually . Could you recommend what's the best thing I can do with it? 

You might be able to use the camera connection kit (cck) to connect a USB DAC/Headphone amp to the iPhone 5.

Here's a thread that talks about the CCK
http://www.head-fi.org/t/682222/ios7-iphone-and-apple-cck/15

Jun 24, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #1,473 of 4,144
Have there been any comparison between the lcd xc vs fostex th900.  Since i waited for the lcd xc for so long but got the th 900 instead when it was onsell.

Jun 24, 2014 at 8:05 PM Post #1,474 of 4,144
Have there been any comparison between the lcd xc vs fostex th900.  Since i waited for the lcd xc for so long but got the th 900 instead when it was onsell.

I am aware of several short impressions of the two HPs (I own both) but I am not sure if an in-depth comparison has been made. Please check this and the 900 thread.

Jun 24, 2014 at 11:35 PM Post #1,475 of 4,144
Thanks but I want to use my iDevice only actually . Could you recommend what's the best thing I can do with it? 

Would you consider the ALO International+ ? ALO gear seems very well tuned for Audeze sound as I can attest with my Pan Am. With the International+ you can just use the lightning cable and bypass the iPhone DAC in favour of the International+ DAC. Battery life using the DAC and amp is around 8-10 hrs. Amp alone gives around 14-16 hours.

Clean simple solution. Caveat: I haven't heard the International+ yet but it's supposed to be really good.

Or if you want to try a cheap solution and have a 30 pin iDevice you can get a line out cable to the Fiio e12 I mentioned earlier. This will sound pretty good for the price.

Jun 24, 2014 at 11:37 PM Post #1,476 of 4,144
Initially, yes I had a similar experience. BUT, after listening to the XC exclusively for a while I got used to the sound and everything else I own began to sound congested like I was listening more to a recording than a performance. I find it hard going back to a less resolving, engaging, and realistic sound. My LCD-2 rev2 is now regulated to listening in my home office while working, but for enjoyment I'll reach for the XC.
The speed of the drivers is amazing! With the XC's I feel you need to have good quality (and well mastered) source files. Every single detail is shown for better or worse. I don't think the Modi would cause any issues but the XC can take advantage of a TOTL DAC. The Lyr may have too much power for the XC's efficiency, but I haven't heard Lyr with the XC so I can't say for sure. Your tubes may be a poor match also.
A lot of recordings have more detail than people realize. I've heard an artist playing an acoustic guitar session shuffling in his chair and tapping his foot to the music. I've never heard this in the track before and I literally turned around because I thought I heard someone in the room with me.
I don't have the 3 or X but I've heard them and I'd say that they are different but still in the same family. I don't know if you've read it before but here is a good write up on the XC's on Headfonia. As for the HA-1 I have nothing but praise for the synergy with the XC. The DAC implementation is great and the amp section is powerful and transparent allowing the XC to sing very naturally to me. For me the HA-1 is a highly recommended amp/DAC with the XC.

Thanks for taking the time to respond. After going back to the HD 600s, I cannot wait to get the XCs. It really does feel like your own music hall like that review said. Right before I had to take them back to the store, a lot of the harshness was gone, so I am not worried about that any more.

Luckily, the store that I'm going to get these from has a set of Telefunkens hanging around, and I am very curious to hear the XCs + Lyr w/ Telefunkens. I have a pair of Siemens in right now that I loved with the HD600s, but maybe you are right, and they aren't a good match.

Jun 25, 2014 at 5:23 AM Post #1,477 of 4,144
Thanks for taking the time to respond. After going back to the HD 600s, I cannot wait to get the XCs. It really does feel like your own music hall like that review said. Right before I had to take them back to the store, a lot of the harshness was gone, so I am not worried about that any more.

Luckily, the store that I'm going to get these from has a set of Telefunkens hanging around, and I am very curious to hear the XCs + Lyr w/ Telefunkens. I have a pair of Siemens in right now that I loved with the HD600s, but maybe you are right, and they aren't a good match.

Aren't the Siemens very detail oriented? This, paired with the XC might just be what's putting the brightness over the top.

The Telefunkens, as far as I know, are even more sparkly and 'dry' than the Siemens. Maybe you should try a slightly warmer sounding tube.

Just taking a guess here. Curious to know how it works out.

Jun 25, 2014 at 3:33 PM Post #1,478 of 4,144

Think there have been some short impressions as stated but no extensive comparison. Hope to compare XC and oppo pm1 to my TH900 in near future. There is a shop down the road from my work but been busy

Jun 26, 2014 at 1:52 PM Post #1,479 of 4,144
Would you consider the ALO International+ ? ALO gear seems very well tuned for Audeze sound as I can attest with my Pan Am. With the International+ you can just use the lightning cable and bypass the iPhone DAC in favour of the International+ DAC. Battery life using the DAC and amp is around 8-10 hrs. Amp alone gives around 14-16 hours.

Clean simple solution. Caveat: I haven't heard the International+ yet but it's supposed to be really good.

Or if you want to try a cheap solution and have a 30 pin iDevice you can get a line out cable to the Fiio e12 I mentioned earlier. This will sound pretty good for the price.

Thank you for suggestions

I'm not really looking in for a cheap solution here , I want to get the most portable option here

ALO international+ does look good but all I've read around is RX-MK3 B+ . I asked Audeze themselves and they recommend me RX Mk3 B+ , so that was my first option . I've also read on this very threat about few people commenting about great synergy with RX-MK3 B+

I've read just one single comment from someone regarding Centrance hiFim8 being able to drive Audeze XC very well with the least amount of wires, but bingo battery life. 

Hence lies my confusion will a DAC make difference 

Disclaimer Alert : 
I live in India and don't have access to any gear or meetup which can help , so I can't experiment and ever find an answer

Jun 27, 2014 at 5:33 AM Post #1,481 of 4,144
Just got my driver replaced on the XC. A great job by Audez'e as usual so thanks! Now I know what I missing the last ten days. That gorgeous midrange is back and seems better than ever. Heck, the Audez'e cans and the Mojo are truly made for each other ! I know that the GSX-mk2 fans will protest so my apologies in advance.

Jun 27, 2014 at 8:01 AM Post #1,482 of 4,144
Just got my driver replaced on the XC. A great job by Audez'e as usual so thanks! Now I know what I missing the last ten days. That gorgeous midrange is back and seems better than ever. Heck, the Audez'e cans and the Mojo are truly made for each other ! I know that the GSX-mk2 fans will protest so my apologies in advance.

Hi Ganesh, so the Mj/XC pairing is a good one? Not "bright"?

Jun 27, 2014 at 12:14 PM Post #1,483 of 4,144
Hi Ganesh, so the Mj/XC pairing is a good one? Not "bright"?

Ross buddy, how are you? I tried recordings of different quality today. For example, I have Boston which I think has been recorded great. The XC I thought near faithfully reproduced the music. You could hear everything; however the guitars were a little more forward and hence clearer. I don't call it brighter since that word implies leaner bass to me.
However on other recordings where I myself am dubious about the quality the overall sound was brighter. Don't know if this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back