AUDEZE LCD XC
Feb 16, 2014 at 7:12 PM Post #873 of 4,151
LCD-XC has more upper mids / "lower treble" / 1k - 4k than HD 800. This is the region human hearing is the most sensitive to. But they are scooped around the 4k- 10k "higher treble" area, which is kinda good thing, because without that scoop it just would be too much treble for the ears to handle.

HD 800 is fairly flat. No boost around the upper mids, but they have more upper treble presence (4k - 10k), meaning no scoop in that area.

So totally different sound signatures. Other one very colored and roller coaster like. Other one flat. But since the LCD-XC has much more upper mids energy, one could totally feel they have more treble overall.

If you ask me, Audeze have never gotten the upper mids just right. LCD-2 and LCD-3 are too scooped from that area, which makes them very warm sounding headphones, which many people do like. And now LCD-XC has just too much upper mids boost, but I do like them, because of that. It´s like a magnifying glass into that area, but it kinda takes away from the other areas. Maybe Audeze got sick of people saying how their headphones lack upper mids and went little overboard. :)

But then again I haven´t heard LCD-X yet! So far I´ve read from the impressions that these are maybe the most "balanced" of all the Audeze headphones. Meaning the most flat and natural, which is kinda funny to say, since all Audeze headphones I´ve heard are always been far far away from flat and natural.

Feb 16, 2014 at 7:27 PM Post #874 of 4,151
  LCD-XC has more upper mids / "lower treble" / 1k - 4k than HD 800. This is the region human hearing is the most sensitive to. But they are scooped around the 4k- 10k "higher treble" area, which is kinda good thing, because without that scoop it just would be too much treble for the ears to handle.

HD 800 is fairly flat. No boost around the upper mids, but they have more upper treble presence (4k - 10k), meaning no scoop in that area.

So totally different sound signatures. Other one very colored and roller coaster like. Other one flat. But since the LCD-XC has much more upper mids energy, one could totally feel they have more treble overall.

If you ask me, Audeze have never gotten the upper mids just right. LCD-2 and LCD-3 are too scooped from that area, which makes them very warm sounding headphones, which many people do like. And now LCD-XC has just too much upper mids boost, but I do like them, because of that. It´s like a magnifying glass into that area, but it kinda takes away from the other areas. Maybe Audeze got sick of people saying how their headphones lack upper mids and went little overboard. :)

But then again I haven´t heard LCD-X yet! So far I´ve read from the impressions that these are maybe the most "balanced" of all the Audeze headphones. Meaning the most flat and natural, which is kinda funny to say, since all Audeze headphones I´ve heard are always been far far away from flat and natural.

I beg to differ, the HD800 is even more scooped than the LCD2 at 1 - 4 khz.  The offending treble goes a fair way to masking this...then again I am sick and tired of manufacturers playing games with frequency response to mask weaknesses that their headphones have, tricks to give fake soundstages.  These wonky responses might fool some people all the time, but they can't fool everyone.

Feb 17, 2014 at 2:00 AM Post #875 of 4,151

Yes, the LCD-XC feels brighter than the HD800, yet the treble in the HD800 is more extended than it is in the LCD-XC.  Seems paradoxical.  By the way, you are right...even though they are both brighter-sounding headphones (unless you fiddle around with the cables and/or use warmer-sounding amps, which I am currently doing with very good results), they don't sound alike at all.  I guess you are right about humans (at least this human) being more sensitive to boosted upper mids/lower treble.  By the way, I don't find either of these headphones fatiguing at all with high-quality cooper interconnects and headphone replacement cables.  Now, use silver with either of these headphones and you've got two screeching owls on the prowl. Yikes!

Feb 17, 2014 at 2:28 AM Post #876 of 4,151
  ...............  By the way, I don't find either of these headphones fatiguing at all with high-quality cooper interconnects and headphone replacement cables.  Now, use silver with either of these headphones and you've got two screeching owls on the prowl. Yikes!

+1. I found the DHC Complement 2 to be very good with the LCD 3 and the XC in terms of a relatively more "natural" sound. Silver did boost the high end to unpleasant levels for me.

Feb 17, 2014 at 2:37 AM Post #877 of 4,151

I beg to differ, the HD800 is even more scooped than the LCD2 at 1 - 4 khz.  

This is simply not true.

LCD-2 are the most upper mids scooped headphones I´ve ever heard just like HD 650 for example. Which makes them "warm" and nice to listen to, but are FAR from accurate and flat headphones / studio monitors.

Feb 17, 2014 at 2:41 AM Post #878 of 4,151

This is simply not true.

LCD-2 are the most upper mids scooped headphones I´ve ever heard just like HD 650 for example. Which makes them "warm" and nice to listen to, but are FAR from accurate and flat headphones / studio monitors.

tongue.gif

Feb 17, 2014 at 3:33 AM Post #881 of 4,151
.... so just how much can new headphone and interconnect copper cables be had for, of sufficient quality?...as it seems they are pretty much essential.

I have spent quite a bit on cables 
mad.gif
. Anyway the DHC costs $ 499 (according to their website http://www.doublehelixcables.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=7).

Feb 17, 2014 at 6:33 AM Post #883 of 4,151
Guess I'll just be listening with standard cables then :frowning2:

Cables can be a worthy upgrade but they're probably the last link in the chain. I wouldn't bother investing in an expensive cable unless my amp and DAC were at a level capable of showing what the cable could do. If you're using budget gear, there are better and more effective ways to upgrade.

Feb 17, 2014 at 7:55 AM Post #884 of 4,151
The tracking of my DHC order tells me that it's cleared UK customs, so I should have it soon. Part of that order is the Complement 2 cable ( 4 pin XLR ) so I'll soon find out whether getting this cable was worth it or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back