AUDEZE LCD XC
Feb 13, 2014 at 9:43 PM Post #856 of 4,165
Thanks for the link. The link earlier was for one sample graph.

I do not understand how one could confuse headphone burn-in as result in different measurements between two different headphones....

Oh you think the two LCD XC measurements are two different LCD XCs? That seems like a big difference between two headphones that should measure the same.

Any way, I'm sorry for causing you so much difficulty. Good luck with your aspergers.

Feb 13, 2014 at 9:45 PM Post #857 of 4,165

Oh you think the two LCD XC measurements are two different LCD XCs? That seems like a big difference between two headphones that should measure the same.

Any way, I'm sorry for causing you so much difficulty. Good luck with your aspergers.

Just something to consider when comparing measurements too:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/expert-tests-innerfidelitys-headphone-measurement-repeatability-and-reproducibility

Feb 13, 2014 at 9:51 PM Post #858 of 4,165
  I just found one of my old Cmoy's, and am listening thru the iPod's line out. It seems to be driving the XC's very well. The sound is quite balanced, clear, and punchy.

Yes Audeze's website claims that they were designed to be very amplifier friendly and easy to drive.

Now that they have opened up, my smart phone drives them very well with just three volume bars (about 20% of the total volume!). This is a little smartphone (with a Wolfson DAC). Even with just one volume bar (like 5% of total volume) they deliver good bass, treble and mids as background music. I view such ability as a sign of an outstanding headphone, i.e. a good headphone should not have to be turned up to enjoy the music.

After a day of use, they now sound like I remembered at the store originally. Not sure what happened those first few hours, whether it was my imagination or something else but any way now I got the headphones I had originally wanted.

Feb 13, 2014 at 11:59 PM Post #859 of 4,165

Yes Audeze's website claims that they were designed to be very amplifier friendly and easy to drive.

Now that they have opened up, my smart phone drives them very well with just three volume bars (about 20% of the total volume!). This is a little smartphone (with a Wolfson DAC). Even with just one volume bar (like 5% of total volume) they deliver good bass, treble and mids as background music. I view such ability as a sign of an outstanding headphone, i.e. a good headphone should not have to be turned up to enjoy the music.

After a day of use, they now sound like I remembered at the store originally. Not sure what happened those first few hours, whether it was my imagination or something else but any way now I got the headphones I had originally wanted.

AG,

my XCs exhibited the same behavior. I was initially disappointed, puzzled and downright angry for buying them. But I gave it a week and let me tell you, TO MY EARS, the difference was stark. From muffled to astounding clarity. And since my neck is strong as Clark Kent's 
biggrin.gif
, I am able to listen up to 3 hours with the XCs without discomfort.
Disclaimer: I have not listened to these things through my iPhone/ipad since I opted to go balanced right from day one.

Feb 14, 2014 at 11:15 AM Post #860 of 4,165
600ohm headphones are often far easier to drive than current-hungry orthos. There's no MP3 player on the market that'll drive the XC to its full potential. I doubt whether you're even hearing a fraction of what they can do. You need a half-decent desktop setup or at the very least a very good portable amp to get the best out of these. Even a budget amp like the Schiit Asgard 2 would improve the sound drastically.

Being compatible with portable devices doesn't mean they'll sound good out of them. Mine sound awful out of my MP3 player or laptop.

My 13V output from the C4 DAP did a good job... but additional amp still made a detectable difference.

Feb 15, 2014 at 9:01 PM Post #865 of 4,165
It's gone very quiet....everyone enjoying their xc's now? :wink:

MY HD800s came yesterday so I've been listening to them mostly, doing comparisons with the LCD XC on specific songs, ultimately concluding that one's not better than the other except with respect to sound signature. Good open back / closed back combo. One very odd thing is that, although in the first few hours I listened to them I thought my LCD XC didn't have enough treble, and didn't have the treble I remembered when trying them out in the store, now I think it has more treble than even the HD800. The LCD XC pumps out a ton of treble when the song requires it. Not sure if my ears are able to pick it out better via conditioning or if it was burn-in.

In addition, due to the comfort of the HD800s, I'm debating whether the beauty of the LCD XC with its fine wood, metal case and rich leatheris worth its weight. The XC is not heavy on my head and I can easily wear it for hours, but the HD800 feels like a feather.

Feb 15, 2014 at 9:30 PM Post #867 of 4,165
  MY HD800s came yesterday so I've been listening to them mostly, doing comparisons with the LCD XC on specific songs, ultimately concluding that one's not better than the other except with respect to sound signature. Good open back / closed back combo. One very odd thing is that, although in the first few hours I listened to them I thought my LCD XC didn't have enough treble, and didn't have the treble I remembered when trying them out in the store, now I think it has more treble than even the HD800. The LCD XC pumps out a ton of treble when the song requires it. Not sure if my ears are able to pick it out better via conditioning or if it was burn-in.

In addition, due to the comfort of the HD800s, I'm debating whether the beauty of the LCD XC with its fine wood, metal case and rich leatheris worth its weight. The XC is not heavy on my head and I can easily wear it for hours, but the HD800 feels like a feather.

Yes...it indeed has more treble energy than the HD800.

Feb 16, 2014 at 3:30 AM Post #868 of 4,165
I got the DHC Complement 2 cable yesterday and spent three hours with the XC non-stop. Nothing more needs to be said.:wink:

I received an email from Peter saying my order for the DHC Complement 2 ( 4 pin XLR ) is on it's way, so I should have it sometime next week.
Aswell as the Complement 2 cable, I also ordered the Ultrashort 4 pin XLR adapter which will enable me to use my LCD-XC with the Complement 2 cable, with my Pico Slim.
I'll be very happy if this cable gives me a similar improvement to my LCD-XC, that I've got from using the Psvane EL34PH tubes with my BHSE driving the SR-009's.

Feb 16, 2014 at 3:44 AM Post #869 of 4,165
I received an email from Peter saying my order for the DHC Complement 2 ( 4 pin XLR ) is on it's way, so I should have it sometime next week.
Aswell as the Complement 2 cable, I also ordered the Ultrashort 4 pin XLR adapter which will enable me to use my LCD-XC with the Complement 2 cable, with my Pico Slim.
I'll be very happy if this cable gives me a similar improvement to my LCD-XC, that I've got from using the Psvane EL34PH tubes with my BHSE driving the SR-009's.

David:

you'll love the DHC for what it can do to the Audez'e HPs. My LCD-3 has taken a subtle turn for the better (at least to my ears) in terms of just a bit more detail and instrument separation. On a different note, I see the SR-009s in your avatar. Have the 007 MK1 now; 009 is a 2015 project
wink_face.gif
 (sorry to go off-topic)

Feb 16, 2014 at 6:42 AM Post #870 of 4,165
David:

you'll love the DHC for what it can do to the Audez'e HPs. My LCD-3 has taken a subtle turn for the better (at least to my ears) in terms of just a bit more detail and instrument separation. On a different note, I see the SR-009s in your avatar. Have the 007 MK1 now; 009 is a 2015 project:wink_face:  (sorry to go off-topic)

Hopefully I'll hear an improvement from my LCD-XC while using the DHC Complement 2 kothganesh, because since using the Psvane EL34PH tubes with my BHSE, I'm only listening to my LCD-XC while waiting for the BHSE warms up.
It'll be quick and easy for me to hear the difference between the LCD-XC / GS-Xmk2 ( using the Complement 2 ) and 009 / BHSE because I can change over from listening to one combo to the other within a few seconds via my source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back