AUDEZE LCD XC
Feb 11, 2014 at 8:06 AM Post #811 of 4,151
Why, when you love the T5p for classical and that's your thing. .. Do you go to 2 Other phones at home? Just intrigued. ..

I don't like the other two to take out of the home...they are not really portable.  With my main rig, they sound amazing with classical music, though.  The T5ps are wonderful as well, but at home when I like isolation, I prefer the TH-900 and XC because I think they a bit better (not much better).  When I don't need isolation because the wife and kids are sleeping, I alternate between the HD800, LCD-X, and T1 among others.  It just depends on my mood...I like variety.

Feb 11, 2014 at 8:56 AM Post #812 of 4,151
  No need to fight guys.

I think the About.com measurements are uncompensated, unlike the HeadRoom ones.

The reason the XCs sound mid-forward is because they have a dip in the mid/upper bass, unlike the other Audeze headphones. To me, they sound something like a very dark pair of Audio Technicas (which tend to be very mid-forward). Depending what you are used to (eg: TH900s) that may not be such a good thing.

Here is a graph from Headphone.com which I've modified to match up the FR in the bass, rather than at 1kHz, which is their default. This to me matches what I feel I am hearing when I listen with them.

Amos, actually I find the XCs brighter overall...likely due to what's happening 4-5kHz. The dip in the lower treble is fairly typical of Audeze headphones (to account for the close proximity of the drivers to one's ears...thus their very natural sound). One can adjust them up or down simply by changing the volume dial and it really depends where one settles in. Where I settle the volume in has them a bit more bassy than the LCD-X / LCD-3s and a bit more treble energy than either.

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=4233&graphID[]=3431&graphID[]=4243&scale=30

Could I ask you why the hp50 is so special?

It's all pretty much right here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/672743/comparisons-13-of-the-top-closed-portable-headphones-around

Please note the above thread is really intended for closed on-the-go headphones only.

Feb 11, 2014 at 10:43 AM Post #813 of 4,151
I've read that a lot of people have described the XC as 'shouty.'  That makes sense to me because it looks like the XC has a lot of energy around the 2khz region-- maybe too much of it.  It'll be a couple months before I get to try these out.

Feb 11, 2014 at 2:08 PM Post #814 of 4,151

Quote:
  I've read that a lot of people have described the XC as 'shouty.'  That makes sense to me because it looks like the XC has a lot of energy around the 2khz region-- maybe too much of it.  It'll be a couple months before I get to try these out.

They kinda are "shouty". Might be too much 2k for some people. They focus A LOT on the mids (especially 1k-4k), more than any headphone I´ve ever heard. They are not bass heavy at all. Similar amount of bass like T1 and HD 800, but different quality, very nice. Tight and deep. They do drop a lot after 4k to 10k which makes it sound well like "cut from that area" lack of a better term which also makes the focus on the mids even more "apparent" and then it comes back after 10k to give it some "air".

So not bassy headphones. Not transparent or natural in anyway. Very very colored. Not the "Audeze house sound". Something complitely new, but nice nonetheless.

p.s. Can´t wait to hear Tyll´s review on these headphones!

Feb 11, 2014 at 5:55 PM Post #816 of 4,151
I don't like the other two to take out of the home...they are not really portable.  With my main rig, they sound amazing with classical music, though.  The T5ps are wonderful as well, but at home when I like isolation, I prefer the TH-900 and XC because I think they a bit better (not much better).  When I don't need isolation because the wife and kids are sleeping, I alternate between the HD800, LCD-X, and T1 among others.  It just depends on my mood...I like variety.

An envious bookshelf of headphones! Just as well there are folk like yourself to do the comparisons for the mere mortals. ...:wink:

Feb 11, 2014 at 8:26 PM Post #818 of 4,151
Went and spent more time with the xcs. I appreciate what they did but they hurt my ears a little and my neck. Also my ears touched the fazors. Sound wise they almost did what I wanted them to do. I waned the more up front presentation of the lcd3 but But with the tonality of the he6 which they did that too but they seemed harsh to me. More so than the t1s. They just aren't for me. Then I tried them through a triode brand tube amp and the piercing just about went away. It was a better experience but my ears and neck had already been hurting and they just weren't that musical to me so I gave up on them... But not before getting a good pic for you guys

Feb 12, 2014 at 11:51 AM Post #820 of 4,151
Went and spent more time with the xcs. I appreciate what they did but they hurt my ears a little and my neck. Also my ears touched the fazors. Sound wise they almost did what I wanted them to do. I waned the more up front presentation of the lcd3 but But with the tonality of the he6 which they did that too but they seemed harsh to me. More so than the t1s. They just aren't for me. Then I tried them through a triode brand tube amp and the piercing just about went away. It was a better experience but my ears and neck had already been hurting and they just weren't that musical to me so I gave up on them... But not before getting a good pic for you guys

You suggest an alternative closed back of this quality though?

Feb 12, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #821 of 4,151
Haven't heard many closed headphones but I plan on trying to find a way to audition the fostex and audio technica models soon

Feb 12, 2014 at 1:14 PM Post #825 of 4,151
Did you think about the effects of using Copper cable and possible valve amp at home to smooth any treble harshness?

I tried them with the Burson Conductor and the Metrum Octave MKII/EF-6 combo and they sounded like completely different headphones. Figaro is spot on when he says that a warm source and amp tempers the treble, but I don't think it's harsh to the extent that it needs smoothing out. I ended up preferring the Conductor for its PRaT and bass emphasis. I can perfectly understand why Figaro as a classical music listener would prefer the EF-6 though. I listen to a lot of rock and indie and like a little grit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back