AUDEZE LCD XC
Feb 10, 2014 at 8:36 PM Post #796 of 4,158
I'm amazed that people are even comparing the XC to the T5p. I'd have thought the Audeze was in another league altogether.

I think it's simple for me, the reason I will consider beyerdynamic t5p over xc 

1. the comfort issue
2. wider sound stage
3. ability to change ear pads without using the glued solution (2 sided adhesive tapes ? really for nearly $2k product ?)
4. cheaper, (at one point amazon was selling just under $1k).
5. angled pads design instead of angled drivers.

But only thing that I don't like about T5P is the cable, other than that I am fine.

If I can only wear Audeze for about 10 minutes then it's not worth it for me.  My LCD2.2 was just left in the storage box after I got HD800.

But this is just my opinion, no fanboyism of any.

Feb 10, 2014 at 9:35 PM Post #798 of 4,158
I'm amazed that people are even comparing the XC to the T5p. I'd have thought the Audeze was in another league altogether.

It all depends on what you want the headphone for, whether or not you can stand the weight, and whether or not your amp musters the necessary juice.  So, if you want a versatile headphone (e.g., can use it at home or on the go), you want comfort, and you have a decent (but not great) amp, then the T5p is a no-brainer.

Feb 10, 2014 at 9:36 PM Post #799 of 4,158
  It all depends on what you want the headphone for, whether or not you can stand the weight, and whether or not your amp musters the necessary juice.  So, if you want a versatile headphone (e.g., can use it at home or on the go), you want comfort, and you have a decent (but not great) amp, then the T5p is a no-brainer.

I find the T5ps too big / bulky for on the go...I'd recommend several others for "on the go" instead.

Feb 10, 2014 at 9:41 PM Post #800 of 4,158

I think it's simple for me, the reason I will consider beyerdynamic t5p over xc

1. the comfort issue
2. wider sound stage
3. ability to change ear pads without using the glued solution (2 sided adhesive tapes ? really for nearly $2k product ?)
4. cheaper, (at one point amazon was selling just under $1k).
5. angled pads design instead of angled drivers.

But only thing that I don't like about T5P is the cable, other than that I am fine.

If I can only wear Audeze for about 10 minutes then it's not worth it for me.  My LCD2.2 was just left in the storage box after I got HD800.

But this is just my opinion, no fanboyism of any.

I'm able to listen to the XCs for 2+ hours with no problem...they are pretty comfortable for me considering the heavy weight.

Feb 10, 2014 at 9:44 PM Post #801 of 4,158
  I find the T5ps too big / bulky for on the go...I'd recommend several others for "on the go" instead.

Not if you want great performance on the go, meaning that you will not miss your home rig.  Yeah, you can get the Beyer DT1350 or IEMs, or even the ED 8s (which are definitely less bulky, but don't sound as good and are way more expensive), but with regards to amazing sound, the T5p trumps them all, at least for this Classical Music lover.

Feb 10, 2014 at 9:46 PM Post #802 of 4,158
  Not if you want great performance on the go, meaning that you will not miss your home rig.  Yeah, you can get the Beyer DT1350 or IEMs, or even the ED 8s (which are definitely less bulky, but don't sound as good and are way more expensive), but with regards to amazing sound, the T5p trumps them all, at least for this Classical Music lover.

Have you heard the B&O H6s or NAD HP50s? I'd suggest you give them a try.

For closed cans at home, my go to cans are the LCD-XCs.

Feb 10, 2014 at 9:53 PM Post #803 of 4,158
  I'm able to listen to the XCs for 2+ hours with no problem...they are pretty comfortable for me considering the heavy weight.

I have them on almost all day, every day I am in the office. No worse than my Thunderpants (which are a few ounces lighter). I get interesting comments while on video conference
o2smile.gif

I would love to compare side by side with the Fostex if I get a chance, but the isolation on those appears to be marginal (and the XC is already in the 'mediocre' class).

I won't really know how the XC really sounds until I have decent amplification. My Asgard doesn't cut it, and the issues I hear with it are the same as I heard using it with my Thunderpants, (and are also what I hear as some of the complaints against the XC which I believe may actually be a 'phone/amp mis-match). One of the disadvantages of Audeze (and all planars) is that they are EXTREMELY sensitive to amplification. Having owned lower priced Beyers, I feel that Beyers would be much less critical in this regard. I don't have a good technical explanation for the amplification 'issue', it is just an observation I and several others have made.

Feb 10, 2014 at 9:53 PM Post #804 of 4,158
  Have you heard the B&O H6s or NAD HP50s? I'd suggest you give them a try.

For closed cans at home, my go to cans are the LCD-XCs.

"For closed cans at home, my go to cans are the LCD-XCs" - I am in complete agreement with you, bro.  I don't listen to the T5ps at home...I listen to the LCD-XCs (if not, to the TH-900s).  With regard to the two cans you mention, never heard them.

Feb 10, 2014 at 10:15 PM Post #805 of 4,158
  "For closed cans at home, my go to cans are the LCD-XCs" - I am in complete agreement with you, bro.  I don't listen to the T5ps at home...I listen to the LCD-XCs (if not, to the TH-900s).  With regard to the two cans you mention, never heard them.

Haha, when do you have time to listen to others ?

HD800, T1, HE-6 and PS-1000 ? 

Feb 11, 2014 at 4:03 AM Post #806 of 4,158
I searched and couldn't find an exact answer, but hopefully this doesn't qualify as one of the dumbest/weirdest questions ever asked on this thread.....but....has anyone tried unscrewing the wooden cover of the XC and screwing on the metal grille + fabric of the LCDX/LCD3/LCD2? If so, does it just sound identical to the LCDX? In short, if I buy an LCD XC, am I basically getting a headphone I can interchange between an open, reference grade LCDX (I think they have the same internals?) and a semi-portable closed back LCD XC? 

Feb 11, 2014 at 5:24 AM Post #807 of 4,158
I think the About.com measurements are uncompensated, unlike the HeadRoom ones.

The reason the XCs sound mid-forward is because they have a dip in the mid/upper bass, unlike the other Audeze headphones. To me, they sound something like a very dark pair of Audio Technicas (which tend to be very mid-forward). Depending what you are used to (eg: TH900s) that may not be such a good thing.

Here is a graph from Headphone.com which I've modified to match up the FR in the bass, rather than at 1kHz, which is their default. This to me matches what I feel I am hearing when I listen with them.

Feb 11, 2014 at 7:48 AM Post #810 of 4,158

Why, when you love the T5p for classical and that's your thing. .. Do you go to 2 Other phones at home? Just intrigued. ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back