AUDEZE LCD XC
Jan 12, 2014 at 3:53 PM Post #526 of 4,144
I liked the bubinga wood best so I chose that

Jan 12, 2014 at 5:56 PM Post #527 of 4,144
  Come on, give them a break.
They are a very young company and they are figuring things out as they go.
They know how to make a top sounding product, the aspect that's been lacking up unitl now is the build quality of those said products.
But they are trying to solve these.
Look at their newly announced products the HE-400i and HE-560, both having a very different design and significantly lighter weight, their upcoming Jade II electrostat sharing that design.
Their new headphones will weight around 350g, that's almost 1/2 of what the newest Audez'e cans weight and this reduction should bring a significant increase in comfort, along with their redesigned headband.
I am not saying their products are great build quality wise, but they've been marginally improving over time, while the sound quality of those has matched and surpassed other audiophile brands in a very short time.

Okay, I'll give them a break, jejejeh!  Sound-wise, not complaints, though!

Jan 12, 2014 at 5:59 PM Post #528 of 4,144
Glad you're liking them. I agree that a warm front end benefits the XC's a lot. They sound better on the Lyr than the Mjolnir or Woo WA22, which is exactly the opposite with the X's.

Enjoy!

BTW, which wood did you choose?

I'm in total agreement...the XC and X are total opposites...and yet they are, in my opinion, two of the best five headphones currently in production.  These Audeze guys certainly know what they are doing.  It looks like Fang at Hifiman has his work cut out for him.

Jan 13, 2014 at 3:08 PM Post #531 of 4,144
Putting my LCD-2s on Ebay tonight as I now have LCD - XC and I hate to do it since they are different enough to keep both but I just do not have enough quiet house time to use the open back design, when my wife kicks me to my own apartment because I buy too much audio and computer gear I will be able to listen to open back headphones any time I want to and on that day I will console myself with some LCD 3s or LCD-X :heart_eyes:

Jan 15, 2014 at 4:38 PM Post #532 of 4,144
Ordering my XCs in a few days
Anyone have a chance to compare vegan vs leather, in sound and isolation qualities?

Jan 16, 2014 at 2:58 AM Post #533 of 4,144
  Ordering my XCs in a few days
Anyone have a chance to compare vegan vs leather, in sound and isolation qualities?

Leather for looks! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 17, 2014 at 7:00 AM Post #535 of 4,144
  Leather for looks! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Me too, I prefer the leather but IMO (just me) leather gives me smaller sound stage.
I might wait for LCD4 or something with the feature that you can easily remove the ear pads.

Right now once you glue the pads you can't reused them, kind of bad design I guess.

Jan 17, 2014 at 1:58 PM Post #536 of 4,144
Audeze pads are attached with double sided tape, not glued on. The pads are easily removed, replaceable and are reusable as well. I've had my leather and microsuede pads swapped several times on my LCD-3s.

Jan 17, 2014 at 2:04 PM Post #537 of 4,144
Audeze pads are attached with double sided tape, not glued on. The pads are easily removed, replaceable and are reusable as well. I've had my leather and microsuede pads swapped several times on my LCD-3s.

As someone who has tried both, what do you feel the differences are in practice?

Jan 17, 2014 at 2:15 PM Post #538 of 4,144
As someone who has tried both, what do you feel the differences are in practice?

SQ differences? I have not tried them on LCD-X when I had those, or LCD-XCs, only on my current LCD-3s. On my LCD-3s in comparison to the stock leather pads, the microsuede pads had more air and tilted the tonal balance *slightly* to the high frequencies. What I most noticed and missed was the subterranean and well integrated bass that LCD-3 is known for. That was the deal breaker for me and my LCD-3 s with the microsuede pads.

BTW, the microsuede headband is SO much more comfortable than the stock leather. For me, that's a keeper.

Jan 17, 2014 at 2:36 PM Post #539 of 4,144

Yape, I swap my original leather pads to vegan pads and my leather pads are all ripped, I followed the "how to replace guide from Audeze site" with exacto knife etc, etc It will get ripped.

You can't never remove the adhesive from the pads. I prefer locking mechanism than glue solution. :)

Waiting for the next LCD with this problem solved. ^^.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back