AUDEZE LCD XC
Feb 22, 2019 at 1:45 PM Post #3,256 of 4,150
I agree fully. The width is pretty unbelievable for a closed-back. I've been swapping back and forth a bit between this and other closed-backs, on orchestral recordings, and the soundstage amazes me each time.

And yeah, the comfort is a huge surprise. They really do distribute the weight in a way that doesn't fatigue me. I had them on for a total of probably 8 hours (not all at once) yesterday and while I *can* tell they're very heavy, somehow it isn't bothersome. The pads are really luxurious.

I don't know how popular these cans are relative to the rest of the high-end market, but I do hope plenty of other people have a chance to try, and finance-permitting, buy these.

You speak how I feel. :)
I am amazed at the comfort. Like you, I have had chances to immerse myself in planet high fi for a good 8 hrs straight as well with the XC's .
No issue at all and absolutely no fatigue as well .

The popularity of these headphones has probably dwindled a lot, mainly because of its age I think. Keep in mind I believe these hit the market pre fazor around 2013.
Maybe many have outgrown them or feel they are not relevant because the XC's are not new anymore and that the best of the best is found with newer models like the focal Stellia (3,000$) :frowning2:

I feel in my experience the XC's are just as competitive with any closed back headphone on the market today . I am discovering that there is no better only different in flagship headphone land.

The XC's are still so unique sounding and I think that is why they still remain Audeze's champion closed back build. :)

Enjoy the music.

I'm gonna hit up Dream theater's new album Distance Over Time with my XC's tonight . impressions to come later!
Cannot wait to hear that freaky low end shimmer . :)

Y4CDCE220.jpg

Feb 22, 2019 at 2:35 PM Post #3,257 of 4,150
They were updated around 2016 with a thinner diaphragm that smoothed them out a little. They still have some harsh top end frequencies. And they do leak out the back. It would be nice if Audeze could design a tuning pad to be inserted in the cup (easy - 4 screws) that could just take the edge off the high frequencies and provide some additional isolation. They're a very exciting, musical headphone that can become a bit wearing after an hour or two.

Feb 23, 2019 at 11:32 AM Post #3,259 of 4,150
They were updated around 2016 with a thinner diaphragm that smoothed them out a little. They still have some harsh top end frequencies. And they do leak out the back. It would be nice if Audeze could design a tuning pad to be inserted in the cup (easy - 4 screws) that could just take the edge off the high frequencies and provide some additional isolation. They're a very exciting, musical headphone that can become a bit wearing after an hour or two.

Definitely smoothed out. :)
Also the top end frequencies seem to be only slightly adjectated with poor mixed and mastered recordings I find. I, like you Monty, use a Chord DAC.
I use the Qutest and I use the red filter (high frequecy roll off -3db) with a good quality LPS and the XC's are a dream for my tastes.

Also. I noticed you have the TT2/M-Scaler combo . :)
That is amazing. I would love to hear some of your feelings about the m scaler mainly with the XC's. It must be a dream come true. :)

Lastly. You are right. The XC's do leak noise a bit. Maybe a tuning pad may work? I can't say .
Anyhow. You got a great set up . Enjoy the music .

Feb 23, 2019 at 12:32 PM Post #3,260 of 4,150
The sound isn't leaking out the pads - hold the pads together while music is playing at a decent volume and you'll hear leakage - it's coming through the ear cups - if you remove the cup there is some padding in the cup (the cup is hollow obv) but there's not gasket or seal where the cup meets the body of the phone - there's also 4 screws - and this all leads to sound leaking out - a surprising amount imo.

Do the same with ZMF Eikons and they are almost completely silent.

When I wear the XCs my wife never stops complaining - when I wear the Eikons she never complains.

Also, the sound of the TV (which my wife's watching) seems to get amplified by the XCs - we used to have volume wars...

Feb 23, 2019 at 12:50 PM Post #3,261 of 4,150
The sound isn't leaking out the pads - hold the pads together while music is playing at a decent volume and you'll hear leakage - it's coming through the ear cups - if you remove the cup there is some padding in the cup (the cup is hollow obv) but there's not gasket or seal where the cup meets the body of the phone - there's also 4 screws - and this all leads to sound leaking out - a surprising amount imo.

Do the same with ZMF Eikons and they are almost completely silent.

When I wear the XCs my wife never stops complaining - when I wear the Eikons she never complains.

Also, the sound of the TV (which my wife's watching) seems to get amplified by the XCs - we used to have volume wars...

Yeah I get ya. I have done that experiment cause my wife did say they aren't that silient and I was so upset about that, but at least she said the XC's are a huge improvement over the hd 800's .

I find compromise by doing a lot of nighttime listening. No problems there and I do find the XC's isolate very well. Don't here anything when the tv is going and all .
Overall, the XC's are massive keepers for me. They do the job well and I find their flaws incredibly minor. No headphone is perfect at any price point.
I bought the XC's to experience more warmth in my music with more guttural sub bass.
Mission accomplished .
I probably should write to Audeze to thank them for such a wonderful build in headphone quality. :)

Anyway. Enjoy that M-Scaler. :)

Feb 23, 2019 at 1:04 PM Post #3,262 of 4,150
Yeah I get ya. I have done that experiment cause my wife did say they aren't that silient and I was so upset about that, but at least she said the XC's are a huge improvement over the hd 800's .

I find compromise by doing a lot of nighttime listening. No problems there and I do find the XC's isolate very well. Don't here anything when the tv is going and all .
Overall, the XC's are massive keepers for me. They do the job well and I find their flaws incredibly minor. No headphone is perfect at any price point.
I bought the XC's to experience more warmth in my music with more guttural sub bass.
Mission accomplished .
I probably should write to Audeze to thank them for such a wonderful build in headphone quality. :)

Anyway. Enjoy that M-Scaler. :)

Also. In thinking about the design or acoustic chamber around the driver and diaphrams . I think the pad thickness and the air leakage has something to do with regards to how wide the XC sounds for closed back.

I think the leak is for a reason and it was premeditated .
Your thoughts?
More air expansion or leak from the drivers typically allows for a wider sound .

I believe that is impart to as to why the hd 800's are such freaks in the width of sound category .

Mar 6, 2019 at 2:10 PM Post #3,265 of 4,150
I’m considering buying my audeze, a used post revision 2016 xc, should I be worried about driver failure in a xc?

Well I just bought them a couple of months ago (Updated driver model) so I cannot confirm, but honestly the build quality leaves me no doubt that the XC's are gonna be in my arsenal for many years to come. They are built like tanks. Feel like a tank too! Lol.

I love them and recommend them without any hesitation . :)

Mar 6, 2019 at 3:38 PM Post #3,266 of 4,150
I’m considering buying my audeze, a used post revision 2016 xc, should I be worried about driver failure in a xc?

My LCD-XC is a pre revision XC and still going strong

Mar 7, 2019 at 11:56 AM Post #3,268 of 4,150
Audeze will change your diaphragms for a small fee

Good to know that Audeze has this service, but I’ll wait with sending them in. I don’t have a replacement at the moment

Mar 7, 2019 at 2:43 PM Post #3,269 of 4,150
Good to know that Audeze has this service, but I’ll wait with sending them in. I don’t have a replacement at the moment
It's a decent upgrade - as is the carbon fibre headband and Dekoni pads.

Mar 7, 2019 at 3:24 PM Post #3,270 of 4,150
It's a decent upgrade - as is the carbon fibre headband and Dekoni pads.

I already equiped my LCD-XC with the carbon fibre headband. That’s one of the best upgrades so far. I’ll keep the pads in mind for a further upgrade

Users who are viewing this thread

Back