AUDEZE LCD XC
Jan 14, 2016 at 10:06 PM Post #2,281 of 4,165
Thanks for the welcome and the insight Westermac! I think your response does help - I have actually noticed the XC can sometimes have that bite you speak of with certain recordings (which I think are just too bright to begin with), but overall, I am enjoying the sound signature and it seems quite balanced across the frequency spectrum when I listen to song that I know well. I was working with them today at my work studio (which is much quieter than home) and it was still nice to have that isolation to get into the detail of certain sounds, and tweak reverbs and delays.

Having said that, as much as the isolation is important in my apartment, it's more the vibe of the music that is important, especially when in the zone of music production, and with the music up at a decent volume, perhaps I wouldn't care as much about the outside sounds (like ctql says), and then get that 'openness' that everyone speaks of. It's hard to say though without really spending time at home testing them out... I guess that's really the only way to know for sure.

I will continue to use the XC's and report back if I have any more news - and especially if I can do a more in-depth comparison with the X's, and even test a pair out at home.

Guess in an ideal world I'd have both...

Also - I think my next step is probably going to be to upgrade the cables - any recommendations/experience? I don't have heaps to spend - maybe a few hundred. Have seen a couple pop up in the thread worth looking at - the Black Dragon V2 premium @ moon, or the DHC Complement4. Any comments welcome.

Jan 15, 2016 at 12:11 AM Post #2,284 of 4,165
Cool, I'll check them out. 

@ctql, you said you have both the X and XC. When you do you listen to one over the other? Is it situational or depending on your mood?

It is situational. Night time, it is the xc on my bedroom rig lyr/bifrost. Weekends x on my basement rig audio-gd 10.33. For work/weekday, it is the gungnir/bha-1 rig using ether and hd800. I just don't like to move my headphones/rigs very much so have 3 places/setups for listening.

Jan 16, 2016 at 8:46 AM Post #2,285 of 4,165
It is situational. Night time, it is the xc on my bedroom rig lyr/bifrost. Weekends x on my basement rig audio-gd 10.33. For work/weekday, it is the gungnir/bha-1 rig using ether and hd800. I just don't like to move my headphones/rigs very much so have 3 places/setups for listening.

What do you think about pairing the XC with the HD800?

Jan 16, 2016 at 3:17 PM Post #2,287 of 4,165
  So - short of buying a pair of X's to compare and then returning the one I think is more suitable (which I'm considering but is also quite the temporary financial burden) - was wondering whether anyone here who has owned both (or a similar comparison with XC's/open-back) can give some insight, and also talk about their experience with how background noise interfered with the X's, and whether it was a problem...? Or just talk about the differences in general. I know a lot of people have bought the XC's for the other 'closed' benefit - to not disturb others around them - but I'd like to know whether anyone tried the X's first and couldn't handle the ambient noise seeping in...  Or whether the sublime sound quality trumps the occasional audio distraction... And when the music is playing, it's not as big a deal...

I wasn't sure whether this post was better here or in the X thread - maybe if someone thinks i should put it over there let me know.

Thanks for your time!

I too welcome you to the XC thread and head fi.  (Sorry about your wallet.)  After years of not being able to listen when I wanted to because of my library of open back phones, I got the XC's to quell of the complaints from my family about how loud my headphones were.  Since I have had the XC's there have been no complaints, only comments about the goofy look on my face.  I bought a new amp and DAC, and wired them up in balanced configuration.  So far I am very pleased and like what I hear, and what I don’t here.  As long as we are satisfied, right?  Oh, I may buy Ether C’s at some point but right now I cannot fathom why.

Happy listening, pS

Jan 16, 2016 at 9:11 PM Post #2,288 of 4,165

I too welcome you to the XC thread and head fi.  (Sorry about your wallet.)  After years of not being able to listen when I wanted to because of my library of open back phones, I got the XC's to quell of the complaints from my family about how loud my headphones were.  Since I have had the XC's there have been no complaints, only comments about the goofy look on my face.  I bought a new amp and DAC, and wired them up in balanced configuration.  So far I am very pleased and like what I hear, and what I don’t here.  As long as we are satisfied, right?  Oh, I may buy Ether C’s at some point but right now I cannot fathom why.

Happy listening, pS

Thanks for the welcome. Yeah the benefits of the closed back for you must be great - but as mentioned I'm more concerned about noise getting in, not really about noise getting out. Did you go from the X's or other cans? Wondering what you heard as the main differences, whether you felt you compromised on sound for the advantages of privacy/isolation...

Jan 16, 2016 at 9:34 PM Post #2,289 of 4,165
When I purchased my pair of XCs a couple of years ago I did so from Drew of Moon Audio. However, I had a little advantage in that he was kind enough to send me both the X and Xc with the understanding that I would purchase whichever pair I most liked. At least that is what I told him and that is what I followed through with. However, Drew has known me for several years and our level of trust with each other is high. 

So, I don't know if he would do anything like that again or if he is able he can charge you, in advance, for both pair and credit your credit card for the returned pair. It's worth checking if you are able to put that kind of temporary dent in your credit card. There may be other companies such as The Cable Company that may do this also but given my history with Drew I personally preferred to work with him. 

Now, why did I prefer the XC over the X? To my ears, The XCs simply sounded better by a fair margin. I have a "test" CD that I use for listening tests and includes a variety of music ranging from female vocalists, male vocalists, Bela Fleck's Flight of the Cosmic Hippo song, and Big Band (The Big Phatt Band-absolutely stunning). All pieces are beautifully recorded with some being studio demos from the likes of John Lennon and Peggy Lee, not available to the public and with no sound processing whatsoever. Anyway, I know these pieces well and the XC, to me, had more heft and clarity in the low end along with better resolution in the mids and upper mids. I felt the X was a little lifeless compared to the XC and the XC just had me tapping my foot a whole lot. 

On the other hand, I good friend who works for a very high end company, and who I feel has amazing listening skills, prefers the X. Perhaps the difference is that I have some minor hearing loss, possibly related to age, and his hearing is still completely intact. Perhaps is was just personal preference. I really don't know. 

What I do know is that if you are not able to find someone close to your area where you might get a listening session with them, then consider the loaner idea above if even available. I do know one thing, I was so glad I did compare both and easily found the best pair for me and never looked back nor regretted my decision. That was worth paying retail for me, which I usually hate to do. :)

I hope this helps a little. 

Jan 18, 2016 at 3:47 PM Post #2,290 of 4,165
Danny - thanks for your input.

Yes I do think that testing is the best way - however the extra dent although temp in the credit card is a big one which I might need to try and sort out first.

I've got a bit of time to decide on the XCs as there is a 60 day return policy on them - so hopefully within that time I can get a good audition/comparison with the X's and make up my own mind also. 

Interesting that you chose them for sound signature alone, and not to do with isolation or the benefits of closed... Also interesting that your friend preferred the X's. Goes to show how subjective headphones can be at that level and price range, and how they can sound better or worse depending on the ears!

Will let you know how I get on.

Jan 18, 2016 at 7:26 PM Post #2,291 of 4,165
Do not under-estimate the closed-back value factor when choosing headphones. I've tried both the EL-8O and LCD-2 before settling on the XC. The LCD-2 has a thicker bassier yet curtailed treble sound signature, whereas the EL-8 has good mid-bass slam but a slightly prominent treble, both of which are open-back. Does this mean they sounded more open than the closed-back XC? Amazingly, no. The sound quality characteristics differences are not night and day between these models - thicker, warmer, brighter, more sub-bass, more forward but the Audeze house-sound is there. BUT what a major difference when it comes to usage patterns. With the open-back I'm resigned to listening in a room with the door closed to avoid annoying the missus. With the XC I was free to listen while being in the hall with my wife. The fact that I could have my private audiophile music listening while commuting in public transport was a Godsend! Something I could not do with open-back. I wouldnt go for open-back even if they sounded more open or airier. What's the point if they limit my usage patterns? Of course I'm merely speaking from the viewpoint of a very mobile music listener who wants to bring my music collection with me wherever I go. Sound signature wise between the X and XC it's individual preference.

Jan 18, 2016 at 8:28 PM Post #2,292 of 4,165
I wonder how hard it would be to get Audeze to sell an extra set of grills, or wood cups so you could have an LCDX convertible. Few screws, swap grills for cups or vice versa and voila.

Or, ****, just some magnets, swap and go.

Jan 19, 2016 at 4:31 PM Post #2,294 of 4,165

Thanks for the welcome. Yeah the benefits of the closed back for you must be great - but as mentioned I'm more concerned about noise getting in, not really about noise getting out. Did you go from the X's or other cans? Wondering what you heard as the main differences, whether you felt you compromised on sound for the advantages of privacy/isolation...

Hi (theyang),

I went from Heir 8a's (IEM's) and the Stax SR-404 (when I could listen to them) to the LCD-XC.  I listened to the LCD-X at a dealer during the auditioning process and the LCD-3, and a brief visit with the Sennheiser 800.  I was so impressed by the sound of the LCD-XC and the fact that it has a closed back that the idea of spending $1800.00 was not a consideration; not a question of if I could afford them, but when.   A good amp (SPL Phonitor 2), DAC (Lynx Hilo) and silver litz balanced cable (HPL) have completed the picture.  I was listening to a Pete Escovedo live recording last night on Tidal; my wife told me I got that goofy look on my face.

The XC's have better bass, just as clear in the midrange, and a better balance overall (especially taming the top end) than the Stax.  The Stax also have some hiss on the top end where the LCD-XC are a "black background".  Best of all the resolution of the XC is really good.  To me, resolution is the ability to resolve individual instruments when played together rather than just a mish-mosh of sound. My current set-up "resolves" really well.  Similar to what I remember the Hansen Grand Master with the Tenor electronics and the DCS digital stack that I heard at CES 4 years ago.   While the Heir 8a are really good, IEM's and full size headphones are not the same.  As I said before, I really look forward to going home and listening to music again.  There is no higher praise.  

Since the time when I got the LCD-XC I have used them exclusively at home and the Heir 8a is for portable use only.  The Stax are on semi-permanent loan to a friend.  I do not know if this is end game for me or not, but right now I get to listen to music without complaint.

Jan 19, 2016 at 10:30 PM Post #2,295 of 4,165
  I went from Heir 8a's (IEM's) and the Stax SR-404 (when I could listen to them) to the LCD-XC.  I listened to the LCD-X at a dealer during the auditioning process and the LCD-3, and a brief visit with the Sennheiser 800.  I was so impressed by the sound of the LCD-XC and the fact that it has a closed back that the idea of spending $1800.00 was not a consideration; not a question of if I could afford them, but when.   A good amp (SPL Phonitor 2), DAC (Lynx Hilo) and silver litz balanced cable (HPL) have completed the picture.  I was listening to a Pete Escovedo live recording last night on Tidal; my wife told me I got that goofy look on my face.

The XC's have better bass, just as clear in the midrange, and a better balance overall (especially taming the top end) than the Stax.  The Stax also have some hiss on the top end where the LCD-XC are a "black background".  Best of all the resolution of the XC is really good.  To me, resolution is the ability to resolve individual instruments when played together rather than just a mish-mosh of sound. My current set-up "resolves" really well.  Similar to what I remember the Hansen Grand Master with the Tenor electronics and the DCS digital stack that I heard at CES 4 years ago.   While the Heir 8a are really good, IEM's and full size headphones are not the same.  As I said before, I really look forward to going home and listening to music again.  There is no higher praise.  

Since the time when I got the LCD-XC I have used them exclusively at home and the Heir 8a is for portable use only.  The Stax are on semi-permanent loan to a friend.  I do not know if this is end game for me or not, but right now I get to listen to music without complaint.

That rig sounds great. I've always been interested in the speaker emulation that the Phonitor can provide. Do you use the crosstalk or any other controls or just use it as an amp? And did you notice a big difference between running the headphones balanced/unbalanced? I thought the Phonitor only had a TRS output. 

My only experience with Lynx conversion was the Aurora 16 interface in the studio. It was a step up for me at the time, however the AVID I/O and Apogee Symphony ended up beating it out some months later. Seeing as the Aurora has 16 in/out and cost only a bit more than the Hilo - I'm sure the conversion must be top-notch. I'm looking forward to the incremental upgrades that come along in this audio quest game we are all involved in. The Dangerous is doing me well for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back