AUDEZE LCD XC
Jan 20, 2016 at 8:10 PM Post #2,296 of 4,165
That rig sounds great. I've always been interested in the speaker emulation that the Phonitor can provide. Do you use the crosstalk or any other controls or just use it as an amp? And did you notice a big difference between running the headphones balanced/unbalanced? I thought the Phonitor only had a TRS output. 

Hi again,

1. Yes, I do use the crosstalk control, the balance control and the meter calibration switch. The crosstalk control is interesting and does work as advertised. I read some reviews and copied one reviewers setting suggestions. Now I just leave it in that position. I do not think I am missing much in terms of soundstage width with the circuit switched in, I like it. Also, I do forget that I am listening to headphones sometimes. Some have knocked the soundstage of the LCD-XC that it is in some way constricted. I believe that compared to the LCD-X it may be a little narrower but it is not a game stopping weakness. I really like the balance control too. I have found that different studios and engineers have a differing "idea" of where the middle is. I thought it was just age.

2. The owners manual from SPL does present the ability to use the two 3-pin XLR outputs on the back to drive headphones in a balanced configuration. Ted from HPL made great cable for me to use with the XC's. At first it sounded not as good as I wanted, then one evening the sound literally made a belch (I kid you not!) and suddenly all was right. I was skeptical about break-in for electronics and cables but I am a believer now. I prefer the smoothness and liquidity of the balanced configuration by a wide margin over single ended.

3. The Hilo and the SPL mate real well. Really low noise floor, great definition, and some of the most well know studios use SPL and Lynx equipment; I think they are a good match.

The system sounds real good to me from streaming Tidal to DSD files (I have one).

Anyhow, thanks for asking.

Jan 25, 2016 at 2:07 PM Post #2,297 of 4,165
Hey all, just wanted to share the results of my attempt to make a simple suspension strap for my LCD-X at home. I first discovered that the headstrap from my AKG K240 (available from Full Compass) could be fit perfectly onto the stock LCD headband, then used it as a template to cut a leather version. Here are a few pics:

The result is a significant improvement in comfort, and completely resolves the pressure hot spot at the top of my head caused by the stock headband. I no longer find myself "needing" the new carbon fiber headband and for me it's $200 better spent on a cable or amp upgrade. I hope some else finds this helpful.

Happy listening!

Jan 25, 2016 at 6:57 PM Post #2,298 of 4,165

So far I haven't seen the LCD4 carbon fiber headband for sale, am I missing something?

In other news, I solved the problem of excessive upper midrange in my XC. I use it at work with my Burson Conductor SL. I replaced the Sabre ESS9018 with a Burr Brown PCM1793. I know it's considered a downgrade, but this warmer, laid-back DAC seems to go perfectly with the XC. The bass is way better and I can play it loud without wincing. I thought I would miss the extreme resolution of the Sabre but now the XC is just about right.

So if anybody is shopping for a DAC that is a good match with the XC, you may want to try a Burr Brown, I hear the Wolfson DACs  are also warmish.

Jan 26, 2016 at 4:42 AM Post #2,299 of 4,165

So far I haven't seen the LCD4 carbon fiber headband for sale, am I missing something?

They are apparently redesigning it because the suspension part didn't work on the first version due to the strap being too long. :)

Jan 29, 2016 at 3:55 PM Post #2,300 of 4,165
Hi All - so i literally just received my second hand LCD-Xc's - and oh my goodness do they sound great!  

I do have a few questions though now that I have them in my hands (and on my ears!). 

1. They really don't seal very well, is that normally how these fit?  I feel like they're about to fall off, I know part of that is just the weight of these and I'm probably not used to it.  It seems more pronounced on the left side, I feel like the bottom part of the pad doesn't really touch my head and I can slide a finger under the bottom - hope I'm explaining it right.  Just feels like it could use more clamp.

2. Cup rotation - should the cups be able to rotate all the way around and lay flat if I set them on a table?  I had only tried out one other pair at a shop and I thought they sort of locked in place and didn't rotate, but I could be wrong...

Thanks - loving these so far!

Jan 29, 2016 at 6:41 PM Post #2,301 of 4,165
Strange you find the clamping force too loose, I thot it was perfect and I've got an average sized head. Did you adjust the length of the headband by moving up/down the notches on the metal rod at the earcups? I don't think the earcups are rotatable to the point that they can lay flat on a surface.

Jan 30, 2016 at 3:06 AM Post #2,303 of 4,165

I do have a few questions though now that I have them in my hands (and on my ears!). 

1. They really don't seal very well, is that normally how these fit?  I feel like they're about to fall off, I know part of that is just the weight of these and I'm probably not used to it.  It seems more pronounced on the left side, I feel like the bottom part of the pad doesn't really touch my head and I can slide a finger under the bottom - hope I'm explaining it right.  Just feels like it could use more clamp.

See my posts below. I had the exact same issue. I ended up having to bend the little tabs that the yokes feed through in order to get a proper fit. Mod at your own risk of course (it caused the black powder coat to chip on mine, just on the tabs though).

I have a perfect seal/fit with the EL-8 but the XC feels like it's just flopped on my head (the headband design doesn't help the bottom of the cups to push/seal against your head, I can easily fit a finger or two in the gap left).

Actually I discovered a couple issues that, after "fixing" them, has made the fit much better (isolation has improved but is still less than the EL-8).

First, this tab was bent on one cup letting it tilt further away from my head than it should. I bent it back to a straight orientation (as it should be).

Second, I increased the angle of the tabs that the yoke rods attach to. This increased the pressure the headband puts on the cups, making a much better seal (and eliminating a gap I had at the bottom of the cups between the earpad and my head).

(crappy MS Paint rendition of the change in angle lol)
So far it's had a positive effect on the overall sound (and helped isolation a bit). 
beerchug.gif

After a bit more flexing/bending the headband sits flat on my head (as it should) and the cups fully seal around my ears properly. Isolation still isn't perfect (there's no way to make this headband design clamp down more on the earpads) but the modifications have helped my first impressions greatly (from a bit frustrated to just a tad uncomfortable due to the thin headband padding). For anyone with fit issues I wouldn't be afraid of bending the little tabs that the yoke rods attach to. The paint may chip off of them a bit but the metal seems to be able to take the bending with little fuss. 
beerchug.gif

Jan 31, 2016 at 10:31 AM Post #2,304 of 4,165
Really like these headphones. Using with Astell & Kern AK120II as source, connected via the Crystal Cable PEF12 balanced cable/adapter into a Violectric V281 amp. Replaced original cable with the Moon Audio Black Dragon, with a single 4-pin Neutrik XLR connector on the amp end. Analytical and powerful at the same time with most of my music library (mostly metal and classical).

Feb 3, 2016 at 8:53 AM Post #2,305 of 4,165
I just got my LCD-XC and I tried it with my Chord Mojo and also with Cypher Labs Theorem 720,,, but still I know that this headphone can do better...
I found lcd-xc with mojo to be a bad combo.... theorem 720 was better,, I don't know what I should do, I asked a friend to verify it and i'm still waiting...
Anyone got this combination? plz do comment...
Source is windows > foobar 2000 "WASAPI event" > chord mojo > lcd-xc

I'm thinking about an external amp (I love portable rigs) and using chord mojo as a DAC only?

Feb 3, 2016 at 9:38 AM Post #2,306 of 4,165
I just got my LCD-XC and I tried it with my Chord Mojo and also with Cypher Labs Theorem 720,,, but still I know that this headphone can do better...
I found lcd-xc with mojo to be a bad combo.... theorem 720 was better,, I don't know what I should do, I asked a friend to verify it and i'm still waiting...
Anyone got this combination? plz do comment...
Source is windows > foobar 2000 "WASAPI event" > chord mojo > lcd-xc

I'm thinking about an external amp (I love portable rigs) and using chord mojo as a DAC only?

Oh no so you think the mojo and the LCDXC are a bad combo? I have a mojo but I just order the LCDXC and LCD4's.

I also have the m9xx and O2+ODAC. I was going to test these up against those headphones. I was getting ready to put down some money on the King Amp made by Audeze to see how it performed to

Users who are viewing this thread

Back