AUDEZE LCD XC
Jan 24, 2015 at 12:51 PM Post #1,861 of 4,158
Thanks. I am assuming you are running balanced xlr with high gain? They are pretty easy to drive but at normal gain I have to crank the volume.

Jan 24, 2015 at 4:15 PM Post #1,862 of 4,158
I listen with the XC's balanced on low gain and the volume at around 9-11 o'clock. That gives me around 85db volume at the earcup depending on the music. With SE I don't need high gain but listen around 1-3 o'clock. You may be listening a bit loud, and although enjoyable be careful. The HA-1 and XC can blow your ears out.

Jan 24, 2015 at 10:32 PM Post #1,863 of 4,158
Had an interesting afternoon comparing the XC's and the 3's. Although the bass was richer and with a bit more impact with the XC's (which I own and love), I prefered the 3's overall due to richer mids. Vocals seemed more fleshed out with the 3's. Vocals with the XC's were still good, but seemed relatively thinner and brighter. The isolation offered by the closed XC's was great, however, and may be better for my somewhat loud office. Ah, wouldn't it be great to be able to have both! :)

Jan 25, 2015 at 4:36 PM Post #1,864 of 4,158
Looking to get my next headphone. And I'm deciding between the Alpha Prime and the LCD-XC.

Since I have Mad Dog Pro, I'm wondering if the LCD-XC might be a step up, or if the Alpha Prime can do everything the XC can.

Does anyone have both of these - or have heard both?

Planning on using them with the Schiit Ragnarok. Any thoughts on this as well?

Jan 25, 2015 at 6:03 PM Post #1,865 of 4,158
For a good comparison between the XC and Alpha Prime check out the comments section to Mike Mercer's excellent Alpha Prime review from www.headphone.guru where he compares the two headphones. http://headphone.guru/mr-speakers-alpha-prime-the-alpha-evolves/

Jan 25, 2015 at 6:07 PM Post #1,866 of 4,158
I haven't given the prime a huge listen, but it did have one really big difference, it isolates much better than the xc. That can be either a plus or a minus. This isn't from a noise leakage stand point, but from isolating from external noise.

I wear my xcs at work and it is actually really handy to be able to hear when someone needs to talk to you.

The AP is also noticeably lighter.

Jan 25, 2015 at 6:40 PM Post #1,867 of 4,158
For a good comparison between the XC and Alpha Prime check out the comments section to Mike Mercer's excellent Alpha Prime review from www.headphone.guru where he compares the two headphones. http://headphone.guru/mr-speakers-alpha-prime-the-alpha-evolves/

I had seen Mike's review of the Alpha Dog but had not seen this. So thanks.

In the comments below the article, Mike said this: "The Audeze LCD-XC, IMO, handles the frequency extremes better, and in a more transparent way – that is: the low-end and the highest highs are better articulated and therefore the overall musical picture is more window-like. This is where the soul of the music comes in. With the LCD-XC, when I’m deep in a listening session, everything else melts away, and it’s just me and the music. I can achieve this with the Alpha Prime, but its far more immediate with the LCD-XC. I’d say that, if the price of the LCD-XC is too far from someones budget, the Alpha Prime is a KILLER buy – and they should be very happy with it. For me, the Audeze LCD-XC still represents the very edge of the closed-back planar magnetic audio arts. The Alpha Prime gets closer than I thought it would – but the XC still grabs my attention like no other closed ortho."

That is some serious praise.

My take away is that the XC is the king, but it comes at a price. Still, it's not to bad and I can swing it.

Seems like I will have to also consider the HD800 or maybe the LCD3 for open back cans.

Anyone hear an XC through the Ragnarok? Is it a good match?

(wish I could hear these but unfortunately it is not possible where I live. For what it would cost to go to a meet somewhere, I could afford to buy these.)

Jan 25, 2015 at 7:35 PM Post #1,869 of 4,158
Do you need closed cans? Or can you listen to open cans? If you don't need the isolation, I personally would be looking at the X and the 3.

Maybe an open box X and a pair of the alpha dogs or el-8.

I can indeed use open cans. Just always had closed. 

Not much noise in my office - just air conditioner. And I have a closed pair of Mad Dog Pro's. So, I could do that. Hadn't really thought of that. 

I assume the 3 would be considerably better than the X?

Do they pair well with the Ragnarok?

How might I find open box cans?

(I will go check out the LCD-3 forum here as well.)

Jan 27, 2015 at 3:08 PM Post #1,871 of 4,158
  I can indeed use open cans. Just always had closed. 

Not much noise in my office - just air conditioner. And I have a closed pair of Mad Dog Pro's. So, I could do that. Hadn't really thought of that. 

I assume the 3 would be considerably better than the X?

Do they pair well with the Ragnarok?

How might I find open box cans?

(I will go check out the LCD-3 forum here as well.)

This is why I ended up buying the XC. No need for two cans. If I am getting, imo, 97-99% of the best of both worlds then just one set will do for me.

Jan 27, 2015 at 6:18 PM Post #1,872 of 4,158

This is why I ended up buying the XC. No need for two cans. If I am getting, imo, 97-99% of the best of both worlds then just one set will do for me.

I hear you. And it's why owning one really good closed can, I'm considering going with an open one now. Audeze is calling my name. They are so beautiful too. The XC is by far the prettiest in my opinion. But if I'm going open it will probably be the 3 or the X (so I can use it more for mixing). Still now leaning towards the 3. 

Jan 27, 2015 at 6:36 PM Post #1,873 of 4,158
Had an interesting afternoon comparing the XC's and the 3's. Although the bass was richer and with a bit more impact with the XC's (which I own and love), I prefered the 3's overall due to richer mids. Vocals seemed more fleshed out with the 3's. Vocals with the XC's were still good, but seemed relatively thinner and brighter. The isolation offered by the closed XC's was great, however, and may be better for my somewhat loud office. Ah, wouldn't it be great to be able to have both!
smily_headphones1.gif

Just a couple opinions...I own the X and XC and greatly prefer the X side-by-side.  However, the XC sound good and they're closed.  In an office environment, if there are other people around then you need the closed HP.  With more time and maybe a good amp (the 3's impedance is about 110 ohms, while the XC impedance is 20 ohms), I think you'll see more of a difference between those cans.  So just flex the wallet and pick up the 3 for home use, and the XC for the office.  You'll make a lot of new friends :).

Cheers -
RCBinTN

Jan 27, 2015 at 7:21 PM Post #1,874 of 4,158

Just a couple opinions...I own the X and XC and greatly prefer the X side-by-side.  However, the XC sound good and they're closed.  In an office environment, if there are other people around then you need the closed HP.  With more time and maybe a good amp (the 3's impedance is about 110 ohms, while the XC impedance is 20 ohms), I think you'll see more of a difference between those cans.  So just flex the wallet and pick up the 3 for home use, and the XC for the office.  You'll make a lot of new friends :).

Cheers -
RCBinTN

I may just do that. Hopefully the 3 will be in my future! 
biggrin.gif

Jan 28, 2015 at 5:01 PM Post #1,875 of 4,158
this may be a dumb question that I know the answer to already. Does anyone make a balanced 4-pin xlr extension cable? Or do just need to buy a long cable?

My headamp is 8-9 feet away from my sitting area and I don't like the cable pulling against me. So I end up either moving or just plugging them into my laptop. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back