Audeze LCD-X
Nov 21, 2013 at 3:59 PM Post #1,366 of 12,748
Great review leesure. Like you, the LCD-2 also have a special place in my mind - but the evolution has taken place with the LCD-X (which is the real LCD-3 for me). 

L3000.gif

Nov 21, 2013 at 4:12 PM Post #1,367 of 12,748
  Great review leesure. Like you, the LCD-2 also have a special place in my mind - but the evolution has taken place with the LCD-X (which is the real LCD-3 for me). 

L3000.gif

Thanks!

I'm curious, by the way, to hear your impressions of the XC's.  I'm going to begun critical listening with those over the next week and would be interested if you're hearing what I've heard over my preliminary casual listening sessions.

Nov 21, 2013 at 4:52 PM Post #1,369 of 12,748
Outstanding review Leesure.

I've been into this audio hobby since the mid '70s and have read more than my share of the Absolute Sound, Stereophile, Hi Fi News and Record Review, etc., etc. I am truly impressed by the reviewing AND writing skills of head-fiers like yourself. Without the pressure of advertisers on ones' back, we can likely get more objective information to boot. Well done. 

I hope to be auditioning a pair of the LCDX in the coming weeks. The XC would be more ideal in my open living space with my wife, but from everything I've read so far, the X is the way to go if one can live with an open headphone. Will be interesting to see how your XC review reads.

Nov 21, 2013 at 5:04 PM Post #1,371 of 12,748
I agree, which is why it's so frustrating that the guys at Audeze don't offer the brown leather as an option on the new cans. The classy option is denied, especially since Brown leather is much harder with wood than Black.

I would pay a bit extra for the brown leather, it is a more expensive leather.

Don't the LCD-3's come with the brown leather?

Nov 21, 2013 at 5:25 PM Post #1,373 of 12,748
I'm considering purchasing these, was just curious if you guys think a Peachtree Audio NovaPre would drive them sufficiently or would a seperate headphone amp be necessary. I've read that they are easier to drive than the LCD-3's which would make better sense financially since I could save some money on the headphones and then also on an amp if my NovaPre would be up to the task. Thanks!

Nov 21, 2013 at 5:45 PM Post #1,375 of 12,748
I'm considering purchasing these, was just curious if you guys think a Peachtree Audio NovaPre would drive them sufficiently or would a seperate headphone amp be necessary. I've read that they are easier to drive than the LCD-3's which would make better sense financially since I could save some money on the headphones and then also on an amp if my NovaPre would be up to the task. Thanks!

I can't find specs on the HP output from the NovaPre to give you any guidance. Sorry.

Nov 21, 2013 at 8:16 PM Post #1,378 of 12,748
  Audez’e LCD-X review

Packaging:

The LCD-X’s arrived well packed in an outer cardboard shipping box around their rugged transport case.  Inside the case, the LCD-X were well protected in custom cutout foam. Also in the case were a Single Ended Cable, a Balanced Cable & a 1/4 to 1/8 Adaptor.  I love the rugged case.  It features a nice handle for transporting your headphones.  While no one will mistake these for typical portable headphones, it’s nice to be able to take them from home to office or from meet to meet with the confidence that this case inspires.  That said, I do wish the ‘phones would fit in the case with cable of your choosing still attached.  The LCD-X mini-XLR solution for attaching the cables to the headphones is by far the best I’ve seen, but I still don’t love the idea of taking those on and off over and over.  This is a minor quibble as I don’t expect to be taking these out of the house all that often.....

Great write up! Really hit the nail on the head with these fantastic headphones!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back