Audeze LCD-X
Oct 29, 2013 at 1:49 AM Post #410 of 12,748
Oct 29, 2013 at 6:28 AM Post #412 of 12,748
Haven't listened to an HD800 in years so couldn't say. Anyhow, for me the issue with the hd800 was not so much its voicing but the excessive sibilance in the presence region which requires modding imho.

The latest LCDs are making the rock recordings I listened to not very pleasant. Not bad recordings unless you consider pink floyd remasters as bad (money). It was surprising to me as I was used to much darker/warmer voicing from Audeze (that was the company's strategy to offer an alternative to the hd800 and other 009 of the day, bringing full bodied planar sound).

Now it seems Audeze is after this exact market of "revealing" gear along the lines of JPS Labs in releasing what seems like a rather lightly damped planar phone.

As I said, those who thought the Audeze were too dark sounding are in for a treat as the new models sound more open and keep the same thunderous bass.

For me, I come from a stat rig that some consider as overly airy and thin sounding (sr009 dislikers). But from the brief listen, I feel my stat rig is more listenable for these particular recordings.

I posted other impressions in the meet thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/687836/tokyo-2013-autumn-fujiya-avic-show-impressions/0_30#post_9931741

Arnaud

Oct 29, 2013 at 8:17 AM Post #415 of 12,748
Thanks Arnaud! Very helpful. I auditioned the LCD2 a couple months ago and fell in love with their organic, natural sound signature. I have a very hard time with any treble edginess, so your take on the latest models makes me wary. Lack of comfort was what put the LCD 2 on hold for me, so your take on the Fostex prototype makes that phone sound interesting for both the sound and comfort. I'll need to keep an eye out for its release. 

Oct 29, 2013 at 10:15 AM Post #416 of 12,748

The latest LCDs are making the rock recordings I listened to not very pleasant. Not bad recordings unless you consider pink floyd remasters as bad (money). It was surprising to me as I was used to much darker/warmer voicing from Audeze (that was the company's strategy to offer an alternative to the hd800 and other 009 of the day, bringing full bodied planar sound).

Now it seems Audeze is after this exact market of "revealing" gear along the lines of JPS Labs in releasing what seems like a rather lightly damped planar phone.

As I said, those who thought the Audeze were too dark sounding are in for a treat as the new models sound more open and keep the same thunderous bass.

I posted other impressions in the meet thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/687836/tokyo-2013-autumn-fujiya-avic-show-impressions/0_30#post_9931741

Arnaud

Hi Arnaud, that is a worrying statement (see the boldface)...I was counting on the new XC being very good with rock (especially Floyd, Led Zep etc). 

Oct 29, 2013 at 10:50 AM Post #418 of 12,748
These are brief impressions from dac and amps I am unfamiliar with, I wouldn't put too much weight into them. At least, what I think I can say is that these are not rebadged lcd-2/3...

Oct 29, 2013 at 12:10 PM Post #419 of 12,748
One item I am eager to find out is how much isolation the XC's offer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back