Audeze LCD-X
Feb 16, 2024 at 5:50 AM Post #12,721 of 12,748
I initially didn't like my LCD-X. I thought the bass was weak and the top end harsh. I switched from the stock balanced cable to the Moon Audio Black Dragon. It wasn't much better. Then I went to the Cardas Clear Light and again, no real change. Then a year ago I decided to try my AXIOS Cu and BAM, it brought more bass to the party and tamed the top end. But I still wanted more. So my end game cable for the LCD-X is the DHC Complement C. Being an OCC copper cable the bass is now full and deep with great details. As for the top end it's now smooth and clean with zero harshness.I also did try my DHC Prion4 but when it's paired with my Sony NW-WM1Z it's too much. The soundstage is amazing but the there is too much details and is overwhelming and fatiguing. So the Prion4 stays with my MDR-Z1R where it's a perfect match.

So because the LCD-X is so analytical, cable rolling is required to find the best match for your source and musical tastes.
But do you know if LCD-2, 3 or 4 are equally "intense" in this way? It's like I enjoy them so much but after 20-30 minutes they become almost painful. The bass is so deep and coming off strong the rumble makes my ear uncomfortable and the treble makes it pretty hot.

It's a love-hate relationship right now.

Feb 16, 2024 at 1:04 PM Post #12,723 of 12,748
But do you know if LCD-2, 3 or 4 are equally "intense" in this way? It's like I enjoy them so much but after 20-30 minutes they become almost painful. The bass is so deep and coming off strong the rumble makes my ear uncomfortable and the treble makes it pretty hot.

It's a love-hate relationship right now.
LCD3 is hands down my favorite Audeze. Great mids that sounds like a dynamic driver but still has that planar speed. It's also definitely not as intense as the LCDX

Feb 16, 2024 at 1:19 PM Post #12,725 of 12,748
Feb 16, 2024 at 2:28 PM Post #12,728 of 12,748
I have the Audeze LCD-X 2018/19 version. They are on a pretty good state. Since I've got the zmf caldera I haven't used them at all. Convince me to keep them 😔
They have been my first real headphones and I enjoyed many moments with them.
But now, in the route of the audiorabbitholephile, I am in need to find founds for a new amp.
To keep or not to keep. That's the question 🤔☺️

Feb 16, 2024 at 2:43 PM Post #12,729 of 12,748
I have the Audeze LCD-X 2018/19 version. They are on a pretty good state. Since I've got the zmf caldera I haven't used them at all. Convince me to keep them 😔
They have been my first real headphones and I enjoyed many moments with them.
But now, in the route of the audiorabbitholephile, I am in need to find founds for a new amp.
To keep or not to keep. That's the question 🤔☺️
If you use EQ, try it.
Listen to them exclusively for a few days.
I have tried Caldera only in Canjam so for a very few moments - from what I remember, pretty exceptional. I would wonder how they compare to LCD-X when it comes to electronic / pop music as that is where (eq-ed) LCD-X can shine. Maybe you will find some stuff where LCD-X is more enjoyable but Caldera will be better in the vast majority of listening experiences, on balance. Question is if you would bother with swapping (for example, I swap headphones as I like variety). Also, even if you find LCD-X better on some songs / albums, is that worth the money you will re-coup if you sell it. Those are some considerations in my own dilemma of keeping vs letting go given the multiple headphones I own.

Feb 17, 2024 at 4:10 AM Post #12,730 of 12,748
So I'm 5 days in and - any sort of discomfort was gone. Might be a mental fear of treble, or I dunno. Brain-burn I guess.

I'm in heaven.

I have found my ultimate metal / EDM headphone, orchestral is also great. For jazz and relaxed music, my HD600 and K712 are perfectly sufficient in showing all the details in those cleaner tracks.

I previously thought the timbre is off - I think it's not, these reveal when the instrument track timbre is off :wink: Many Devin Townsend's guitar tracks are unfortunately from older amp modelers and that gives off that plasticky digital sound cause it's not a real amp.

Playing without EQ, the soundstage sounds massive (sounds smaller than K712 but deeper, denser and fuller with detail).

Listening to Nightwish, Dimmu Borgir, Devin Townsend - these don't break the sweat in showing microdetail in the densest of recordings. I am finally satisfied with the amount of detail in a headphone.

I'm blown away.

I can't wait to complement them with a closed-back LCD-XC, Shure SRH1840 to pair with my SRH1540 and I'm done.

Comparison with the D7200:

D7200 is my second favorite headphone. D7200 is bassier, but the kind of fuller, warm type of bass. The bass might bleed into mids, but not intrusively/uncomfortably. The treble is very toned down but I like that. I like dark headphones, everything else is pain.

It's not "uncohesively dark", it's not "unclear". Unless you're someone who is used to "neutral to bright".

While D7200 reveals like 80% the detail of the LCD-X (if you can hear it and don't find them lacking in treble, I don't), the "laser / scalpel like accuracy" of the LCD-X tonality and imaging shapes its details in a merciless "in-your-face" fashion. Sounds feel "real" on the LCD-X, while on the D7200 sounds feel "tastefully veiled" or "served with butter".

Overall, I'm still blown away with the microdetail and I feel I'm getting more than what I paid for. I can literally hear when the reverb effects end on almost any track, even in symphonic metal. I didn't know that would be possible.

Audeze made me a fan. :)

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2024 at 4:14 AM Post #12,731 of 12,748
Favorite tracks for now:

1708161277308.png

Feb 17, 2024 at 10:55 AM Post #12,732 of 12,748
So I'm 5 days in and - any sort of discomfort was gone. Might be a mental fear of treble, or I dunno. Brain-burn I guess.

I'm in heaven.

I have found my ultimate metal / EDM headphone, orchestral is also great. For jazz and relaxed music, my HD600 and K712 are perfectly sufficient in showing all the details in those cleaner tracks.

I previously thought the timbre is off - I think it's not, these reveal when the instrument track timbre is off :wink: Many Devin Townsend's guitar tracks are unfortunately from older amp modelers and that gives off that plasticky digital sound cause it's not a real amp.

Playing without EQ, the soundstage sounds massive (sounds smaller than K712 but deeper, denser and fuller with detail).

Listening to Nightwish, Dimmu Borgir, Devin Townsend - these don't break the sweat in showing microdetail in the densest of recordings. I am finally satisfied with the amount of detail in a headphone.

I'm blown away.

I can't wait to complement them with a closed-back LCD-XC, Shure SRH1840 to pair with my SRH1540 and I'm done.

Comparison with the D7200:

D7200 is my second favorite headphone. D7200 is bassier, but the kind of fuller, warm type of bass. The bass might bleed into mids, but not intrusively/uncomfortably. The treble is very toned down but I like that. I like dark headphones, everything else is pain.

It's not "uncohesively dark", it's not "unclear". Unless you're someone who is used to "neutral to bright".

While D7200 reveals like 80% the detail of the LCD-X (if you can hear it and don't find them lacking in treble, I don't), the "laser / scalpel like accuracy" of the LCD-X tonality and imaging shapes its details in a merciless "in-your-face" fashion. Sounds feel "real" on the LCD-X, while on the D7200 sounds feel "tastefully veiled" or "served with butter".

Overall, I'm still blown away with the microdetail and I feel I'm getting more than what I paid for. I can literally hear when the reverb effects end on almost any track, even in symphonic metal. I didn't know that would be possible.

Audeze made me a fan. :)
Have you heard denon ah-d9200? If yes
How they compares to lcd x

Feb 17, 2024 at 11:18 AM Post #12,733 of 12,748
Have you heard denon ah-d9200? If yes
How they compares to lcd x
I had them, D9200 was much more bright compared, way more treble and amount I couldn't handle, had to return them.
The bass was a bit less full, soundstage was very narrow compared to LCD-X.

I couldn't judge resolution because my perception was so affected by the hot treble.

When I would EQ them to some level of tolerance, I found them very airy and, moderately bassy.
The mids were slightly recessed like the D5200 was but overall present.

The build quality was the best of the three Denons. D7200 build is like a cheaply made D9200.

Feb 17, 2024 at 11:49 AM Post #12,734 of 12,748
I had them, D9200 was much more bright compared, way more treble and amount I couldn't handle, had to return them.
The bass was a bit less full, soundstage was very narrow compared to LCD-X.

I couldn't judge resolution because my perception was so affected by the hot treble.

When I would EQ them to some level of tolerance, I found them very airy and, moderately bassy.
The mids were slightly recessed like the D5200 was but overall present.

The build quality was the best of the three Denons. D7200 build is like a cheaply made D9200.
How these aspects Of d9200 compared to d7200?

Feb 17, 2024 at 11:54 AM Post #12,735 of 12,748
D7200 is on the opposite side of the D9200. While D9200 is very bright and has narrower soundstage, D7200 is pretty dark (the mids and treble sound like the HD650 level for me), but the bass is a basshead level bass.

The bass sounds like the most natural basshead presentation. Still great for classical, chamber music, jazz and progressive rock, and still great for modern genres. Has punch, depth, modern magic and old school magic. Rock sounds great with these.

The soundstage sounds very large to me, largest of the open-backs I've heard. D5200 and D9200 seem equally narrow, while for some reason the D7200 seems huge compared to them. The imaging is fantastic too.

D7200 is like an expanded, more resolving, and more mellow version of the D5200.
D9200 is like an equally staged, more resolving and a bright version of the D5200.
D5200 has the most balanced tonality. It should cost more than it does imho.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back