Audeze LCD-X
Sep 27, 2023 at 2:09 AM Post #12,661 of 12,748
thinking about to order these for studio work, mainly producing and mixing edm. unfortunately i can't work on monitors and these would be my low end monitors. i already have the NDH-30, not sure if the LCD-X will be my main working tool.

anyone has these two or compared them? is it worth the upgrade? (LCD-X is double price of the NDH-30)

Sep 27, 2023 at 3:22 AM Post #12,662 of 12,748
thinking about to order these for studio work, mainly producing and mixing edm. unfortunately i can't work on monitors and these would be my low end monitors. i already have the NDH-30, not sure if the LCD-X will be my main working tool.

anyone has these two or compared them? is it worth the upgrade? (LCD-X is double price of the NDH-30)
I've been mixing/mastering both recreationally and professionally for over 27 years now,

I don't have the NDH-30, but I do greatly treasure the use of my LCD-X 2021 to mix and master with...they are particularly good with EDM if you EQ them right...

I mix/master with Dynaudio Monitors in conjunction with the LCD-X 2021 and I've EQed them so basically they sound the same or as close to the same as possible...Why the LCD-X 2021 MIGHT be worth double the price is because they respond so well not only to the EQing you'd be doing in your DAW but also to just about any DSP effect.

I did try and still own the DT-1990s for a while which are about half the price of the LCD-X 2021 and MAY be comparable to your NDH-30s, so from that stand point I can say that it is worth the extra money in my mind...they were designed specifically to replicate the studio monitor experience for engineering, unlike the rest of the Audeze LCD series...and though cheaper headphones like the DT-1990s say they are "studio monitors",...well, the DT-1990s do a great job for its price, but that's about it. Since I got the LCD-X 2021 almost 2 years ago, I've never used my DT-1990s for mixing/mastering purposes other than to do an occasional quick "reference" check with another device...The LCD-X 2021 is my definite GO TO.

2 cents, that's all.

Blessings,
-J

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2023 at 3:28 AM Post #12,664 of 12,748
was these phones TOTL when they were released? Thanks
If you're talking about the LCD-X 2021 the answer is yes and no.

They are not "considered" Audeze's TOTL as a recreational/audiophile headphone. Audeze's TOTL headphones are usually in the $4000 range and are not designed for studio engineering work like the LCD-X which is sort of an off shoot of the LCD line...

As I mentioned in the previous post, they are designed specifically for audio engineering work, and so from that point of view they were TOTL for this category, and in my opinion, they still are TOTL, again for the category of audio engineering headphones.

Blessings,
-J

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2023 at 4:07 AM Post #12,665 of 12,748
I've been mixing/mastering both recreationally and professionally for over 27 years now,

I don't have the NDH-30, but I do greatly treasure the use of my LCD-X 2021 to mix and master with...they are particularly

I did try the DT-1990s for a while which are about half the price of the LCD-X 2021 and MAY be comparable to your NDH-30s, so from that stand point I can say that it is worth the extra money it in my mind...
haven't heard the DT1990, bought the NDH 30 after reading the reviews, it translates well, I have better results, but I have to do car tests to set the low-end right (also I'm just a hobbyist).

anyway, I keep reading LCD-X everywhere, never heard any planar, after your answer I will give it a go.

thanks

Sep 27, 2023 at 1:58 PM Post #12,667 of 12,748
I'm thinking of buying these headphones, but I'm wondering if there is any difference in sound and comfort between genuine leather and pleather pads? or is leather free only an option for animal welfare activists?
I remember reading that some people preferred the sound of the leather. I think the pleather is for the vegans.

Sep 27, 2023 at 3:02 PM Post #12,668 of 12,748
I'm thinking of buying these headphones, but I'm wondering if there is any difference in sound and comfort between genuine leather and pleather pads? or is leather free only an option for animal welfare activists?
Someone just asked me something similar to this about the XC on Amazon...it equally applies to the X.

Here's what I said:
"I have the leather version...I bought that version because I believe Audeze engineered the LCD-XC to the leather pads (which does make a difference!) and I have no objection to leather goods. If you feel the same way, I'd recommend leather. Also, most people in the LCD-XC ownership community have leather, so for congruity's sake, you might consider that as well."

In terms of comfort, I'll add that I don't have experience with Audeze's particular make of pleather pads, but I do own other headphones with pleather pads and I find the leather more comfortable and a better seal which helps the bass...also depending on the quality of the pleather, aging issues have occurred in my other pleather headphones that just don't seem to happen with leather.

Blessings,
-J

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2023 at 5:34 AM Post #12,669 of 12,748
found one used near me, for 915 EUR, purchased in 2022. serial number says it's the 2021 version.
I see there is a warranty card. Is the card is tranferable, so the warranty will be active after I buy it until 2025?
Is there anything I should be aware of when I test them?
haven't decided yet, I don't like to buy used products, but the price is tempting (1450 in the shop)

Sep 29, 2023 at 8:44 AM Post #12,670 of 12,748
I love my LCD-X. I do think it sounds better than the HE6 when EQd. Don't know why, maybe because of the staging, that sounds grander, more envolving. But oh man, don't know if I can handle that weight. Might have to sell it. Still, incredible headphones if you can handle the weight.

Sep 29, 2023 at 3:42 PM Post #12,671 of 12,748
found one used near me, for 915 EUR, purchased in 2022. serial number says it's the 2021 version.
I see there is a warranty card. Is the card is tranferable, so the warranty will be active after I buy it until 2025?
Is there anything I should be aware of when I test them?
haven't decided yet, I don't like to buy used products, but the price is tempting (1450 in the shop)
I should think the warranty is transferable if you have the original receipt of purchase...if Audeze is listening to this chat (are you out there?), please advise!

When you test them be aware that there is this weird phenomenon that sometimes happens with planar headphones called "flexing" or something like that, in which when you take the headphones on or off, they MAY make a soft kind of "krinkle" sound...I came across this with XC which is a closed headphone (so I think it happens more) but Audeze told me that, this was completely normal and nothing was wrong with the headphone. Within a few weeks, it stopped happening all together.

Other than that, just common sense things...like, check the the screws on the cups to see if there is evidence that the headphones have been opened...and if they have, ask why and what for... That said, I've opened mine to test out a modding theory, and tooled around for a few days, closed them back up with no damage to the headphone. I'd also check that the rectangular holes in the in side of the pads line up to each other to maybe see if they've been removed at any point, and if so ask why and what for again.

Don't worry if the posts are too loose or too tight and slide too easily or don't slide easily enough, because that can be easily fixed by tightening or loosening the posts hex nut...and the LCD-X is made so that almost all the parts are replaceable...

If you have the opportunity, EQ the bass Real high and turn up the volume as loud as you can handle to a song with quantities of sub-bass to check for any distortion because as you've probably read, the LCD-X is VERY hard to make to distort within non "blood coming out of your ears levels" unless they're damaged (I've never heard my LCD-X distort and I drive the bass levels REALLY hard)...but I'm sure you've already thought of that.

They ARE going to be heavier headphones than you're used to, but as you probably have read, they are extremely well balanced, so don't be discouraged right away...you may find them too heavy in the end as few people do, but I don't at all and I wear them for hours at a time...and the huge drivers can produce a hell of a lot of sub-bass so you may never have to master your lows in your car again. I have a 12" 550 Watt SVS subwoofer in my studio that is well beyond the volume and range that I need, but I actually fine tune the levels of my lows with my LCD-X believe it or not!...those heavy metal cans, can really start physically vibrating so just don't go deaf doing it. LOL.

I can't think of anything else right now, but if you have any more questions, I'm sure someone in this thread has or has already given an answer.

Good luck! I hope you love em. I certainly do and not just for working with, they are the first cans of mine that I reach for, for recreational listening as well.

Blessings,
-J

(PS- You might want to check out the "LCD-X and XC Update" thread as this is about the X '21 and so excludes pre '21 Xs and is usually much more active. I spend a lot more time on that thread)

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2023 at 3:53 PM Post #12,672 of 12,748
I love my LCD-X. I do think it sounds better than the HE6 when EQd. Don't know why, maybe because of the staging, that sounds grander, more envolving. But oh man, don't know if I can handle that weight. Might have to sell it. Still, incredible headphones if you can handle the weight.
How long have you had them? I found them heavy at first,...not uncomfortably so, but unusually so because I'd never owned headphones nearly as heavy, BUT got used to them after a week or so do to their well balanced nature and because I am always sitting in a chair in front of a monitor so not moving around a whole lot, you know what I mean?

Maybe...maybe you'll get used to them?

Blessings,
-J

Oct 6, 2023 at 7:12 AM Post #12,674 of 12,748
Is the Hugo 2 a nice paring with the LCDX?

Oct 11, 2023 at 8:41 PM Post #12,675 of 12,748
(Copy and pasted from the other "LCD-X and XC Update" thread just in case so I could get some more answers).

Hey bros! Recently did a trade with a buddy, my Arya for his LCD X. Currently loving the LCDX. There's some brand new pads on here and I was wondering, what's the usual life expectancy with the earpads? They're quite expensive too I just wanna know if I should get an extra pair for the future or just get the next pair when I get there whenever these really need replacing. Any inputs greatly appreciated!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back