Audeze LCD-X
Mar 29, 2021 at 4:56 PM Post #11,987 of 12,748
I had this issue with lcdx from 2018 with stock cable. It's probably ground loop.
It stopped to happen with balanced cable.
It never appeared since I changed amp and used a xlr cable.
If it does it unplugged, somehow you are statically charged and the low impedance of the magnet may be transporting it? Is this even phisically posible? I don't know.

Anyway, try other cable and if you can, go balanced.

Apr 1, 2021 at 2:48 AM Post #11,990 of 12,748
I was wondering i have the 2019 version, does anyone know if I can get my lcd x tuned to match the 2021 version and if so, how much do they charge, and how do I go about doing that???
Contact Audeze. The changes are very minor though, I am not sure if it is audible between the 2019 and the 2020 (the latest) revisions. As far as I know the biggest change is the stuffing in the earpads, and also the covering material on the outside grill.
IMG_20210117_090232772.jpgIMG_20210117_090320477.jpg

Apr 1, 2021 at 10:57 AM Post #11,991 of 12,748
Contact Audeze. The changes are very minor though, I am not sure if it is audible between the 2019 and the 2020 (the latest) revisions. As far as I know the biggest change is the stuffing in the earpads, and also the covering material on the outside grill.
IMG_20210117_090232772.jpgIMG_20210117_090320477.jpg

There seems to be a much more substantive revision in the works for 2021 X and XC models. More info below. I ended up unknowingly buying the newest revision of the XC and it has an entirely different magnet array than it did before. 6 fazor/magnet bars instead of 8. Different pads and a weight reduction too.From my own experience with the XC, I suspect that this will be a major change to the X as well. Resolve will soon post a review video explaining the changes, so I'd look for that. Exciting times. The 2021 XC is phenomenal, hopefully the new X will be too.

Audeze_LCD-X_ImageOnDark-1_2000x.jpg

Audeze LCD-X and XC

Ever since the LCD-X and XC were introduced, we’ve continually refined them over the
years, striving to develop the best headphones for both the studio professional and the
audiophile. Some recent examples of these refinements are the headbands and ear
cups. Even more importantly, the critical thin film we use for our diaphragms has been
revised and improved. From the original thicker film we started with, to the much thinner
film we started using a few years ago - even the chemical composition has morphed
over time.

Far ahead of the entire planar magnetic industry, Audeze moved very early on from
chemical etching to laser etching – we even hold several patents for this process. The
latest versions of the Editor’s Choice - and record producer’s reference – LCD-X and
XC have improvements for more consistent performance, with newly optimized
magnetic circuits that offer the sonic excellence our users have known for many years.
We also modified the LCD earpad material to get a better seal around the ears on
differently shaped heads for a more consistent sonic experience. All of this is with an
eye towards continually improving our products so that you have the best possible
listening experience. All LCD-Xs produced from November 23, 2020 and all LCD-XCs
produced since November 9, 2020 have these improvements.

Additionally, we’re including our new economy carry case at no additional charge in the
LCD-X and LCD-XC Creator packages. And for the Premium LCD-X/XC packages, we
now include the 4 pin balanced XLR cable and a 6.3mm to 3.5mm adapter cable (in
addition to the standard 6.3mm cable).

Audeze-LCD-XC-3-Quarters-White-Background-Cropped_2000x.jpg

About Us

If you're curious to know more about our headphones for
making and mixing music from Film Soundtracks to Grammy Winners,
check out the video below or our Audeze Artists page which includes the likes of
Tony Visconti, Ron Saint Germain, Susan Rogers, Bill Frisell, Juro 'Mez' Davis
and many other musicians, producers, engineers, and filmmakers.

Full Video

Apr 1, 2021 at 11:03 AM Post #11,992 of 12,748
There seems to be a much more substantive revision in the works for 2021 X and XC models. More info below. I ended up unknowingly buying the newest revision of the XC and it has an entirely different magnet array than it did before. 6 fazor/magnet bars instead of 8. Different pads and a weight reduction too.From my own experience with the XC, I suspect that this will be a major change to the X as well. Resolve will soon post a review video explaining the changes, so I'd look for that. Exciting times. The 2021 XC is phenomenal, hopefully the new X will be too.
Interesting. I look forward to hearing more info regarding potential sound change and weight reduction.

Apr 1, 2021 at 1:40 PM Post #11,993 of 12,748

Glad finally audeze explain in detail about their "facelift". Sound wise, the latest LCD-X indeed sublime and definitely better than older version

Apr 1, 2021 at 8:35 PM Post #11,994 of 12,748
For anyone wondering about the weight. I have the one that came with the new case. Scale says 608 grams with no cable.

EDIT: My SN confirms that mine is the new revision. So yeah 608 grams.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2021 at 6:10 AM Post #11,995 of 12,748
For anyone wondering about the weight. I have the one that came with the new case. Scale says 608 grams with no cable.

EDIT: My SN confirms that mine is the new revision. So yeah 608 grams.
I wonder if the 6 fazor wave guards instead of the 8 on the older version means a smaller transducer? Or a different magnet structure? If the difference in weight is indeed 100g, that must mean smaller magnets, and that for sure has influence on the sound.
I wish Audeze would clarify this further.

Apr 2, 2021 at 2:10 PM Post #11,997 of 12,748
How do you know from the SN it is the new revision?
As per Audeze’s info they provided recently:

For those who may be curious, here are the start dates and serials for the new configuration:

11/23/20 LCD-X Leather-Free 7527615

11/9/20 LCD-XC Leather 8523700

11/23/20 LCD-X Leather 7527600

11/23/20 LCD-XC Leather-Free 8523710

Apr 2, 2021 at 2:21 PM Post #11,998 of 12,748
I wonder if the 6 fazor wave guards instead of the 8 on the older version means a smaller transducer? Or a different magnet structure? If the difference in weight is indeed 100g, that must mean smaller magnets, and that for sure has influence on the sound.
The transducer is still 106mm

Also.....the grill/stuffing change you noted above was done well before the latest revision. They changed that back in late 2019

There is a user who just recently wrote a review in the thread Audeze started to outline the new revisions. He has an early 2020 LCD-X and he just installed the revised earpads to replace the older memory foam version they previously had. He feels the new pads are largely responsible for the change in FR and sound on the 2021 versions. His impressions start here:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/lcd-x-and-xc-update.956949/post-16274608

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2021 at 2:35 PM Post #11,999 of 12,748
I was wondering i have the 2019 version, does anyone know if I can get my lcd x tuned to match the 2021 version and if so, how much do they charge, and how do I go about doing that???
$580 is what another user mentioned to have it updated. It involves replacing the drivers and earpads. Contact Audeze and arrange to send them back

At that price it’s probably more cost effective to sell the old pair and simply buy new. Or just change the pads to the new version as the user review I posted above feels is largely responsible for the sound change of the 2021 revision

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2021 at 2:41 PM Post #12,000 of 12,748
$580 is what another user mentioned to have it updated. It involves replacing the drivers and earpads.

At that price it’s probably more cost effective to sell the old pair and simply buy new
They (Audeze) say that this update/better FR is a result of both, new driver structure and pads. I would still start with just pads and see what it does. From my experience. Pads do matter quite a bit. So perhaps that’s where most of the improvement comes from....? $600 to upgrade is not worth it IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back