Audeze LCD-X
Feb 3, 2021 at 2:02 PM Post #11,881 of 12,748
Not LCD-X, but here is nine years old LCD2 Rev 2. Still live and kicking healthily.

2020_1103_05251900.jpg

While it's true that you read some Audeze headphones have defect problem, generally they still low in percentage compare to unit sold out there. At least that's what happen here in south east asia market.

I think most of people who own (exact same unit) headphones for more than 10 years won't think to sell their collection unless desperately need money.

That looks truly gorgeus.

Feb 5, 2021 at 2:12 AM Post #11,885 of 12,748
Hello there to all Audeze LCD owners out there!! I am thinking about purchasing an LCD model in the near future, but of course, I am doing the home work first. I have done quite some homework already, but there is still plenty to do. it is part of the journey, it is free, and saves money on the long run.

My question is if is there people out there with 5 year old LCD headphones, or even 10 year old Audeze LCD headphones, to check a bit how they age, reliability etc... These headphones are quite expensive, which is not a problem on itself, problem is if they do not last as much as they cost. I have seen really old sennheiser hd600 out there, and those are 200€. I have the hd6xx, great thing for the price. Now I was thinking LCD-2C, then I thought better jump to LCD-X, since it comes already with leather pads, maybe sound a bit more accurate... But I have read in the LCD-2c forum people needing to do drivers replacement one month after warranty, I saw a local guy selling his lcd-2c with the drivers just replaced under warranty...

All in all, I do not mind spending money on expensive stuff, if quality is good and they last long. Adam speakers give 5 year warranty, Schiit audio gives 5 years warranty too... Maybe Audeze is actually more reliable than what I think? The other planar competition, not very good really... Sundara also give problems, also Abyss... Fostex TR50, 60, are lower quality planars I guess...

Let me know your thoughts about Audeze reliability please. Also, show your old cans, if anyone here with 5 or 10 year old LCD's...

I'm the second- possibly third- owner of my 2016 LCD3's and they were pretty beat up when I got them. New earpads, carbon fiber suspension headband and all smiles. If its only 2 years old you should be fine.

Feb 5, 2021 at 4:24 AM Post #11,886 of 12,748
I am an RME user, and it is an excellent combination
20210124_082910928_iOS.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2021 at 2:45 PM Post #11,890 of 12,748
Feb 10, 2021 at 11:52 PM Post #11,891 of 12,748
Just got back from support that my headphone is really fresh from factory, manufacturing date of 1/23/2021. This puts my mind at ease as far as being concerned about getting the absolute latest driver revision, and potentially corrected driver issues from before *crosses fingers. I also got the frequency graph for my unit, not sure how different it is from earlier versions as this is my first time to own an LCD-X. Very quick turnaround btw from the Audeze support team which is a good sign.

Attachments

• LCD-X.png
    LCD-X.png
    33.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 11, 2021 at 2:55 AM Post #11,892 of 12,748
Just read this in a new LCD-X review:

"The 2020 variant does have revised earpad stuffing for optimal comfort and sound. Measurements have revealed that the earpad width is integral to maintaining a solid bass response on the LCD-X so this is a very well-considered change that users will appreciate. Of course, compared to the very first revisions, we can also observe a new headband design that is far more comfortable over long listening sessions. Audeze have mentioned changes to the internal wiring as well though this could simply be for long term reliability."

Feb 15, 2021 at 6:16 PM Post #11,894 of 12,748
Just got back from support that my headphone is really fresh from factory, manufacturing date of 1/23/2021. This puts my mind at ease as far as being concerned about getting the absolute latest driver revision, and potentially corrected driver issues from before *crosses fingers. I also got the frequency graph for my unit, not sure how different it is from earlier versions as this is my first time to own an LCD-X. Very quick turnaround btw from the Audeze support team which is a good sign.

Interesting, seems like there is still some significant unit variance in the upper mids even between the 2020 revisions... Here's my FR for referenceLCD-X.png

Feb 19, 2021 at 9:52 PM Post #11,895 of 12,748
Well, after reading ~100pgs and skimming the next 100 or so I pulled the trigger yesterday and ordered an LCD-X. Can't wait to get it in hand. Unfortunately although I apparently live less than 10mi from their warehouse it will take 4 days for FedEx to get them to me lol. Gonna be a loooong weekend.

In the meantime, I've read everything from "these are super easy to drive" to "they scale well with better amps". Currently have Modi 3/Magni Heresy...am I right to assume these would be the bare min to drive these until I get something else? Was looking at Jotunheim but need to read up more on differences between 1 and 2 before committing. Should I expect to fast-track that? I'll give the current setup a listen of course but want to know what I'm getting into while I way this agonizingly long 4 days :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back