Audeze LCD-X
Jan 10, 2021 at 10:11 AM Post #11,776 of 12,748
Mine are the solid non-fenestratef since I wanted to get as close to stock as possible. Audeze was out of theirs with no idea when they would get more so I got the Dekoni. They’re noticeably thicker in the back than stock but they sound great. I actually prefer the XC to the X now.

Jan 10, 2021 at 10:15 AM Post #11,777 of 12,748
Interesting. Thanks 😊

Jan 10, 2021 at 1:48 PM Post #11,778 of 12,748
If I were to buy a new pair of headphones, with more natural tonality or bigger soundstage, what should I look for? Coming from lcdx.

For me the lcdx is supreme in instrument separation, bass, but also treable.
Although I didn't like them at all when I first tried, they seemed dull and dark, now i consider the treable very "real". I never heard hihats o rides sound as good as on these...

I am rly thinking of buying a 2nd pair of lcdx's 😂 is it a crazy thing to buy a 2nd pair of the same headphones, just in case they broke? 😧 :):)
The LCD-Xs are great headphones, regardless of price range. On the top of that today they can be found for less than 1k which makes them great value for money. We often forget when talking about high-end headphones that these are mostly great products. Everyone prefers a different great product, but that doesn't mean one headphone is better than the other. It means it fits the buyer's taste better.

Similar to another member I would also suggest to try the Arya or the HE-1000SE for bigger soundstage. Hi-FiMan has a very different sound to Audeze. Much more spacious but also somewhat softer, not as dynamic and focused.

I can't tell you what your next purchase should be, a second pair of LCD-X or the HEKSE but I can share a few thoughts about my journey. I used to own a lot of different headphones and gear and auditioned as many more as I could. It took me years and I enjoyed every moment and purchase but by now I know what the market can offer from entry level to flagships. I also had a chance to discover my taste and after many curves I picked a price point that I can afford with a clean conscience. I learnt not to believe any reviews or opinions but my own ears. Good reviews are useful for offering a consistent point of view on new products but that doesn't mean my taste matches the reviewer's taste.
What I am saying is that you will have to go out and try as many headphones as you can and then decide for yourself. Wherever you might or might not go, the LCD-X is a great island in Headphonia which can't be ignored and it is loved by many.

Jan 10, 2021 at 5:44 PM Post #11,779 of 12,748
The LCD-Xs are great headphones, regardless of price range. On the top of that today they can be found for less than 1k which makes them great value for money. We often forget when talking about high-end headphones that these are mostly great products. Everyone prefers a different great product, but that doesn't mean one headphone is better than the other. It means it fits the buyer's taste better.

Similar to another member I would also suggest to try the Arya or the HE-1000SE for bigger soundstage. Hi-FiMan has a very different sound to Audeze. Much more spacious but also somewhat softer, not as dynamic and focused.

I can't tell you what your next purchase should be, a second pair of LCD-X or the HEKSE but I can share a few thoughts about my journey. I used to own a lot of different headphones and gear and auditioned as many more as I could. It took me years and I enjoyed every moment and purchase but by now I know what the market can offer from entry level to flagships. I also had a chance to discover my taste and after many curves I picked a price point that I can afford with a clean conscience. I learnt not to believe any reviews or opinions but my own ears. Good reviews are useful for offering a consistent point of view on new products but that doesn't mean my taste matches the reviewer's taste.
What I am saying is that you will have to go out and try as many headphones as you can and then decide for yourself. Wherever you might or might not go, the LCD-X is a great island in Headphonia which can't be ignored and it is loved by many.

Hey, first of all thank you for your time writing:)

It is true one need to test on his/her own. But I don't have many places to test headphones. That's why I relay so much on opinions.
I will definitely try to test the Arya and the hekse, I can't warrantee I'll buy any of these, but will try.
I have always thougt I like a wide soundstage presentation. I loved the hd800 from a friend, but they didn't have the impact i was looking for.
The lcdx however are on the intimate side but they are wide enough and the separation is great. Also the bass is very much what I like in headphones. I just feel like music is doing sex to my brain/ears with the lcdx lol 😂
I may end buying them new if the arya doesn't convince me. I could use the second hand for traveling/work and keep the new ones at home.

Jan 10, 2021 at 11:47 PM Post #11,781 of 12,748
As an alternative, take a look at the Ananda. Almost the same thing as Arya, maybe slightly inferior to it but man... $699 new and $599 open box for something so close to Arya is a steal.
The Ananda is nothing like the arya. The Ananda is pretty close to the sundara and the arya is close to the he1000se. The arya will not give you the bass slam as the audeze. However, it will give you a wide sound stage with tons of details. It's also more comfortable and weighs a lot less than the lcd-x

Jan 11, 2021 at 12:48 AM Post #11,782 of 12,748
The Ananda is nothing like the arya. The Ananda is pretty close to the sundara and the arya is close to the he1000se. The arya will not give you the bass slam as the audeze. However, it will give you a wide sound stage with tons of details. It's also more comfortable and weighs a lot less than the lcd-x

I can relate to this completely having heard all 3 headphones- Arya, Hekse and LCD-X. There’s no doubt I like Hekse the most.

My son who owns the Arya came over today and tried the Hekse with v280 and all the other amps including Mjolnir 2 and he says that the Hekse + v280 is so good he’s going to buy the Hekse.

Anyway back to the LCD-X and my initial thoughts of the various amp also applies to the LCD-X and I've posted it here.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/schiit-mjolnir-2-listening-impressions.778250/page-202#post-16097421

Jan 11, 2021 at 1:45 AM Post #11,783 of 12,748
The Ananda is nothing like the arya. The Ananda is pretty close to the sundara and the arya is close to the he1000se.
I'd say the Ananda is not that far from the Arya if we are choosing a complement to the LCD-X. At least not to the point to justify the Arya's double price. But I'm a sound engineer, not an audiophile, so I have totally different hearing accents and points of reference rather than from an audiophile perspective. In terms of technicalities and their tone I'd range them Sundara ->Ananda -> Arya -> HE1000SE. As you would see from the Crinacle's ranking, he ranges them in a similar fashion, putting the LCD-X very low in his list compared to all of the aforementioned HiFiMan's headphones. Of course, the sound of all of them is quite different to that of the LCD-X. And not a single one of them would slam like the Audeze. Again, if we consider a more affordable option and the fact that one would struggle to buy either the Arya or the HE1000SE, the Ananda is not a bad option to be a complement to the LCD-X. It has that sub rumble, resolution abilities, the agreeable natural tone, airy presentation and the stage. Let the man audition them for himself and decide whichever he likes best, regardless of what we say.

Jan 11, 2021 at 2:02 AM Post #11,784 of 12,748
I Once had LCD-X and encountered the problem that this guy had, same like him, just in different dac/amp

lcd x.jpeg

Is there any explanation, i wonder why, my other low impedance dynamic headphone i had didnot have the problem i;m still curious, if the problem is really grounding loop, then is the headphone really is to be to blamed !?

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2021 at 2:13 AM Post #11,785 of 12,748
I Once had LCD-X and encountered the problem that this guy had, same like him, just in different dac/amp

lcd x.jpegI

Is there any explanation, i wonder why, my other low impedance dynamic headphone i had didnot have the problem i;m still curious, if the problem is really grounding loop, then is the headphone really is to be to blamed !?

Nope the LCD-X is not to be blamed. I just touch the parts mentioned above in the link on my 4 months old LCD-X, with music playing and not a trace of feedback or hum / hiss. Touch the rod, silver screws and just about everything. Need to check your setup.

My setup is a simple PC > usb (nothing fancy) > Questyle CMA Twelve ( as DAC) > Schiit Mjolnir 2 > LCD-X.

Even with the phone nearby there's no feedback. Zip noise and I'm not even running a power conditioner here. I do in my main setup 300 kms away.

IMG_1689 (1).jpg

Jan 11, 2021 at 2:17 AM Post #11,786 of 12,748
Nope the LCD-X is not to be blamed. I just touch the parts mentioned above in the link on my 4 months old LCD-X, with music playing and not a trace of feedback or hum / hiss. Touch the rod, silver screws and just about everything. Need to check your setup.

My setup is a simple PC > usb (nothing fancy) > Questyle CMA Twelve ( as DAC) > Schiit Mjolnir 2 > LCD-X.

Even with the phone nearby there's no feedback. Zip noise and I'm not even running a power conditioner here. I do in my main setup 300 kms away.

IMG_1689 (1).jpg

I just recalled, also had planar in the past (PM2) - 32ohm, but it didnot show any humming sound when connected to my amp, wondering if is this related to the nature of LCD X itself (because lower impedance), or else...

Yeah, there's no issue at all (humming or else when connected to phone or dap), well thank you then, i was thought because of the headphone since it's the lowest impedance planar i've ever had, definitely bad ground loop then.

My setup is PC > USB > (SP200 as headphone amp) > LCD X

Jan 11, 2021 at 2:23 AM Post #11,787 of 12,748

lcd x.jpeg

Can't explain any of it, but if it helps, I have had my LCD-X for more than four years, and it has seen a lot of head time in many different situations. Still it has never ever made any humming noise, whichever way one touches it. It has just performed in all situations like any rock-solid bass-slamming Audeze. Okay, the earpads just look a little beat up nowadays, but that is just par for the course.

Jan 11, 2021 at 2:28 AM Post #11,788 of 12,748
My setup is PC > USB > (SP200 as headphone amp) > LCD X

Hahaha I have the same amp here also. This is a head-fi shop. :)

My Hekse is 35 ohms and like the LCD-X (20 ohms) no noise at all.

Now trying the LCD-X with SMSL SP200. Beautiful ! and no noise at all. No matter where I touch the headphone.

IMG_1690.jpg

Jan 11, 2021 at 2:44 AM Post #11,789 of 12,748
Okay, the earpads just look a little beat up nowadays, but that is just par for the course.

I reckon it's time for a little TLC for your LCD-X. Stop pampering your Susvara. :wink:

Just before Christmas I dropped my LCD-3f when the agent called on the phone. I could almost swore at her but I'll be nice after all she brought good news. The metal yoke was slightly bend. My pads were the original brown and very seasoned but like old shoes, they are so comfy. The headband is also brown.

So I brought it to Minidisc and ask them to order the yoke, steel suspension headband and new Audeze leather pads. Even paid them to replace all that because the screw on the yoke is so tight. Driver and wooden cups are perfect. Not a scratch.

Now I can't wait for it to come back to me. Then 6 months later I'll sell the LCD3-f and LCD-X for a LCD-4 or maybe I won't because as soon as I get the LCD4, there will be a LCD-5. :smiley:

Jan 11, 2021 at 2:48 AM Post #11,790 of 12,748
Hahaha I have the same amp here also. This is a head-fi shop. :)

My Hekse is 35 ohms and like the LCD-X (20 ohms) no noise at all.

Now trying the LCD-X with SMSL SP200. Beautiful ! and no noise at all. No matter where I touch the headphone.

My friend suggested i changed the amp/dac placement to the other room that time, but since i;m busy that time, i didnot do that, well now sadly i dont have lcd x anymore to try since i already sold it to someone else, and it seems he didnot have any problem like mine, but he's happy and dont seems have any issue at all, that's the mystery, until i found same comment on youtube above that share same problem, and realized i;m not alone, that's why i;m asking again to make sure since it's so weird my other cans didnot humming, conclusion still perhaps is very sensitive to the ground issue, if there's any.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back