Audeze LCD-X
Aug 28, 2020 at 10:17 PM Post #11,491 of 12,748
That's hilarious man, I had a full class A car stereo setup too lol. Check out the HeadAmp stuff! Might be right up your alley.
That's awesome!!! Definitely will, I'm moving too Hawaii soon so it'll definitely be a year or two down the road before I make that jump.

Aug 29, 2020 at 1:45 AM Post #11,492 of 12,748
That's hilarious man, I had a full class A car stereo setup too lol. Check out the HeadAmp stuff! Might be right up your alley.
Btw if you want a taste of that system with mid fi amps give Nighthawks a try....so smooth and nice to listen with but still have detail when you wouldn't expect it.

Aug 30, 2020 at 3:49 PM Post #11,493 of 12,748
I don't want to get into the age-old cable debate - I have followed that debate for the last 50 years. I am in the "cables can/do make a difference camp".

My question is only aimed at people who believe cables make a difference.....

I tried the silverdragon cable on a pair of Elears and was disappointed - I felt they made the sound too thin to be enjoyable in my set up, using a Burson soloist for power. I’m still too new to the lcd-x to start cable-swapping. I’m in love with them the way they are, but based upon my experience with the Elears, I would not think the silver dragon is a good match for the lcd-x. Everything is amp/system dependent of course.

BTW, like you, I’ve been at this game for almost 50 years and I am squarely in the camp of cables DO make a difference. Too many people get confused between the objective question of whether cable differences exist (they clearly do) and the subjective question of whether they are worth the price of admission (that depends...).

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2020 at 4:07 PM Post #11,494 of 12,748
I’m using stock cable. If I need different length or termination, I would DIY. I’ve bought into this cable upgrade path towards improvement 20 years ago. Today, I think of it as poor mans EQ that is questionable at best. Want to add color or certain characteristic that fit your preferences? Play with tubes, component matching or something really cheap like Schiit Loki analogue EQ. Far better return on your investment.

Aug 30, 2020 at 4:08 PM Post #11,495 of 12,748
On a separate issue, I have a question that maybe some more experienced lcd owners can answer. I’ve noticed that the thin ring of pleather that attaches the earpads to the actual earcups rubs against the yoke and is starting to wear away. It would seem to be a minor design flaw. Is this common or am I just unlucky? I apologize if this is an old guy question. I searched and couldn’t find an answer.

Aug 31, 2020 at 2:16 PM Post #11,496 of 12,748
Why is the LCD-X one of my favourite and perhaps the best value for money headphones for my taste?

It all boils down to personal taste fellows. Don't believe any comments, any reviews, in the end it is all personal taste. You have to try it yourself to know what you like.

I often found my personal taste is not in line with the actual mainstream reviewers. I simply have to try it myself and trust my judgement. Wallet is the next major defying factor. What is the maximum amount you relatively easily spend on a great pair? £200? £1000? £3000? It is all so relative.

I love bass and I love a spacious and natural sound. Closed back headphones are usually bass kings (TH-900) but they lack the spaciousness and naturalness of open back headphones. Open back headphones however are unable to produce great bass by design. Great bass to me is ultimate extension (flat to 20Hz) clarity, balance, separation, punch, slam and dynamics. When it comes to open back design, only planars do can get close to my 'perfect bass' definition. All dynamic driver design lack something: extension, slam, balance, separation. On the other hand, no closed back design can compete with even a mid-fi open back headphone when it comes to natural and spacious sound.

The LCD-X offers awesome bass which is flat to 20Hz. There is bass cleanliness, separation and dynamics with slam. With its eloquent bass performance the LCD-X puts to shame many famous closed back opponents. At the same time you have the airy spaciousness and naturalness of open back design which can't be matched by any closed back competitor.

The fact that the LCD-X can easily be found under 1K these days makes them an absolutely outstanding candidate if your preference is similar to mine.

Forget about chasing one holy grail, you buy headphones to match your personal taste, usage scenario and budget. There are several holy grails out there based on personal preference.

At the same time not one headphone is 100% perfect.
I love the bass presentation of the LCD-X (which I think is better than some 2-3K flagships) the LCD-X is also not without fault. I would love to have slightly warmer and slightly sweeter vocals. Bass is pretty much perfect, treble is also not much more to wish for: clean and clear. 10% more treble energy would be too much for me (Focal Clear) the LCD-X is just on the higher-end of treble intensity that I still find pleasant (and clear enough).
Mids could be a bit 'closer to the soul', but it is a very minor grip especially with my music I like which is 80% electronic psychedelic ambient like CBL.

For bass quality and openness I am not sure if anything can beat the LCD-X. Definitely not under 1K or not even under 2K.

Sep 2, 2020 at 1:13 AM Post #11,497 of 12,748
I’ve enjoyed my LCD-X cans oh-so-very much. I was going to write a bit of an impression but I can’t add much to what @betula said. So, let me just redundantly assert that LCD-Xs are a great value, have a great soundstage, excel at detail and spacing, and are really, really neutral. I trust them so much they are my go-to reference cans for whenever I try something (new tubes, new amp, new dac, whatever). If this is what Mobius sounds like these days, damn, the times they are a-changin’.

The LCD-Xs don’t work for me as casual-listening cans. Too much information. The magnets are heavy and while the design has done its best to make sure our heads don’t sag, they are still a large heavy thing to listen to for more than 2 hours. So no, I could not get through the Rings cycle with them in one sitting. But I can listen to a couple of records in my favorite chair and be happy.

I don’t need to put the rest of the LCD siblings down to lift these guys up. They are all good at various things and the 2s belong in the Smythsonian. But these guys do stand out, and I prefer them for what they are good at: getting out of the way between you and your tunes for focused listening.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2020 at 8:55 AM Post #11,498 of 12,748
I’ve enjoyed my LCD-X cans oh-so-very much. I was going to write a bit of an impression but I can’t add much to what @betula said. So, let me just redundantly assert that LCD-Xs are a great value, have a great soundstage, excel at detail and spacing, and are really, really neutral. I trust them so much they are my go-to reference cans for whenever I try something (new tubes, new amp, new dac, whatever). If this is what Mobius sounds like these days, damn, the times they are a-changin’.

The LCD-Xs don’t work for me as casual-listening cans. Too much information. The magnets are heavy and while the design has done its best to make sure our heads don’t sag, they are still a large heavy thing to listen to for more than 2 hours. So no, I could not get through the Rings cycle with them in one sitting. But I can listen to a couple of records in my favorite chair and be happy.

I don’t need to put the rest of the LCD siblings down to lift these guys up. They are all good at various things and the 2s belong in the Smythsonian. But these guys do stand out, and I prefer them for what they are good at: getting out of the way between you and your tunes for focused listening.

I agree with everything you say, except that I don’t find them all that uncomfortable. No, they’re not like wearing a pair of Sennheisers, but the headband is wide and well padded enough, and I find the ear pads extremely luxurious. Maybe I’m just a big galoot at 6’1”, 250lbs., but the weight doesn’t bother me, even for long sessions.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2020 at 6:37 PM Post #11,499 of 12,748
Even after 5 years of owning the LCD-X Fazor version I still enjoy them everyday. I hit upgraditis when I sold HD800 in 2014 and bought the LCD-X. I wish the headband could be cheaper as I still have the original headband and it's little uncomfortable after few hours. If these break for some reason I will buy another pair.

Sep 2, 2020 at 8:29 PM Post #11,500 of 12,748
Even after 5 years of owning the LCD-X Fazor version I still enjoy them everyday. I hit upgraditis when I sold HD800 in 2014 and bought the LCD-X. I wish the headband could be cheaper as I still have the original headband and it's little uncomfortable after few hours. If these break for some reason I will buy another pair.

Just for clarification, according to Audeze, all lcd-x should be Fazor.

https://audeze.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360004057851-How-to-tell-if-your-headphones-have-Fazors

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2020 at 6:03 PM Post #11,502 of 12,748
I’m listening to the new John Scofirld trio on fresh ecm vinyl on my SME 10/IV tt with Kleos cartridge through a Cotter xfmr and a plinius phono section, a Burson soloist amp and my lcd-X headphones, and I must say, it just doesn’t get much better than this.

Indulging in a moment of pure hedonism during the pandemic, and proud of it. I (we) deserve it. After all, if that’s not what this stuff is for, then what IS it?

Enjoy!

Neil

Sep 5, 2020 at 10:44 PM Post #11,504 of 12,748
Hey.
I have had my LCD-Xs for a while now and they are still by far my favourite pair of cans. But I still have the pre-2016 drivers.
Contemplating upgrading but, apart from the money, I'm not sure I want to sound to change in any manner so I'm pretty cautious.
Can someone tell me if there is a sizeable difference between the pre and post-updated driver?

Sep 6, 2020 at 6:38 PM Post #11,505 of 12,748
Hey.
I have had my LCD-Xs for a while now and they are still by far my favourite pair of cans. But I still have the pre-2016 drivers.
Contemplating upgrading but, apart from the money, I'm not sure I want to sound to change in any manner so I'm pretty cautious.
Can someone tell me if there is a sizeable difference between the pre and post-updated driver?

Mine are 2014 and I remain totally infatuated with them. I have no intention of changing drivers until they need it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back