Audeze LCD-X
Aug 10, 2020 at 4:01 PM Post #11,446 of 12,748
Update, I ordered a V280 this morning when they went live on drop for $500 off. Will likely be awhile before I have it in hand but I’ll post my thoughts of 789 to it here. Hopefully fuller in the bass and midrange with better control, can be a touch bright in the upper treble with the 789 at times so I’m looking forward to it.
So idk if my 887 is making it bright but man there is so much information that is being shoved into my ears its fatiguing like there's a ton of treble. I gotta say my little crap hel smooths everything out nicely. I have an EL stack on its way so I'm very curious how this will interact with the X's.

Aug 10, 2020 at 10:51 PM Post #11,447 of 12,748
So idk if my 887 is making it bright but man there is so much information that is being shoved into my ears its fatiguing like there's a ton of treble. I gotta say my little crap hel smooths everything out nicely. I have an EL stack on its way so I'm very curious how this will interact with the X's.
So i've noticed with the X, the 4-8K region is a bit subdued, and the highs above that have a rise in the treble. My particular pair has a peak at 14K so I definitely hear that. Cymbol's seem quiet but air from them is loud. Maybe that's what you're hearing? I think detail on these is great so there is a little bit of overwhelming going on but I wouldn't call these headphones fatiguing at all. I think it's our amps. The THX stuff isn't forgiving and tries to be very flat.

Aug 10, 2020 at 10:57 PM Post #11,448 of 12,748
So i've noticed with the X, the 4-8K region is a bit subdued, and the highs above that have a rise in the treble. My particular pair has a peak at 14K so I definitely hear that. Cymbol's seem quiet but air from them is loud. Maybe that's what you're hearing? I think detail on these is great so there is a little bit of overwhelming going on but I wouldn't call these headphones fatiguing at all. I think it's our amps. The THX stuff isn't forgiving and tries to be very flat.
I totally agree, I used fatiguing as I've never experienced detail like that before.

Aug 11, 2020 at 6:19 AM Post #11,449 of 12,748
I think the LCD X has the usual 4K "dip" (Audeze dip) but it also has a slight rise with 6KHz that is why sometimes it is quite bright (bordering sibilant) which is where our ears are most sensitive. Comparing to Beyerdynamic T1 2nd Gen, - this sounds that it is really peaking since it has the famous peak at 8KHz which gives the impression of having more details and the LCD X sounded a little bit in your face bright probably because of the dip and rise at 6KHz. In my ears the T1 sounded more thin and fatiguing (since cymbals have more extra zing) in the long run than the LCD X which is a little bit forward and bordering sibilant and in your face, both with poorly mastered recordings.

Aug 11, 2020 at 6:39 AM Post #11,450 of 12,748
I think the LCD X has the usual 4K "dip" (Audeze dip) but it also has a slight rise with 6KHz that is why sometimes it is quite bright (bordering sibilant) which is where our ears are most sensitive. Comparing to Beyerdynamic T1 2nd Gen, - this sounds that it is really peaking since it has the famous peak at 8KHz which gives the impression of having more details and the LCD X sounded a little bit in your face bright probably because of the dip and rise at 6KHz. In my ears the T1 sounded more thin and fatiguing (since cymbals have more extra zing) in the long run than the LCD X which is a little bit forward and bordering sibilant and in your face, both with poorly mastered recordings.
Makes sense. So far it hasn't been sibilant but to be honest I've only had a few hours with them.

Aug 11, 2020 at 1:14 PM Post #11,451 of 12,748
It could also be that, you are just new to this kind of sound (as from what i have understood on your earlier post). It could be really be "too much" at first, same goes if your coming from bright headphones to a darker one it seems everything is smeared out. Let it settle first and give time to let your ears adjust.

Aug 11, 2020 at 1:46 PM Post #11,452 of 12,748

Judging by you sig photo you are coming from the 2C(?) which is known for being a "darker"-sounding headphone. The X & XC are the "brightest" phones in the Audeze lineup though compared to other phones like the Clear they are nowhere near as bright sounding. If you're coming from the 2C then I would certainly expect the X to sound bright & fatiguing to you.

If you're looking to change your front end equipment, and at the risk of sounding like a broken record, I would strongly suggest the iFi Micro BL and use the Audeze Reveal plug-in set to the X. The sound is as near to perfect as I've ever heard. You're getting a top notch MQA DAC with a sneakily powerful amp in one portable package and at a (IMHO) great price.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2020 at 2:36 PM Post #11,453 of 12,748
Judging by you sig photo you are coming from the 2C(?) which is known for being a "darker"-sounding headphone. The X & XC are the "brightest" phones in the Audeze lineup though compared to other phones like the Clear they are nowhere near as bright sounding. If you're coming from the 2C then I would certainly expect the X to sound bright & fatiguing to you.

If you're looking to change your front end equipment, and at the risk of sounding like a broken record, I would strongly suggest the iFi Micro BL and use the Audeze Reveal plug-in set to the X. The sound is as near to perfect as I've ever heard. You're getting a top notch MQA DAC with a sneakily powerful amp in one portable package and at a (IMHO) great price.
I had both the X and XC, and yes they are flat with a treble spike. I highly recommend the lcd 4s!

Aug 11, 2020 at 2:45 PM Post #11,454 of 12,748
I cannot speak for other headphones but with T1, i prefer the LCD X more for the reason it has low end that lacks in T1 also, T1 sounded thin compared to LCD X and both are really unforgiving to poorly mastered recordings but i do agree that the highs is little bit peaky.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2020 at 2:55 PM Post #11,456 of 12,748
I am sorry, i have not. It was also in my set of choices (blind buy) but i chose the LCD X for the build quality and aftersales services.

I believe that within 1000 to 2000 USD there is not much deviation from each other. Its just that they are presented differently.

Unless LCD X compared to TOTL then thats a different comparison

Aug 11, 2020 at 5:35 PM Post #11,457 of 12,748

So I’m coming from a slew of gear. HD6XX, Focal Elex (too bright for long listening sessions but I initially liked them) and lately the Aeon flow (too dark with mod bass bloom, but really liked them when I was in the mood) for me the X is essentially perfect. Can be a touch too hot for me at 14K but other than that I’m very much enjoying it. Just waiting on a better amp to bring out their fullest. The THX 789 doesn’t swing enough current to keep up in the lowest of lows with the X to my ears. From what I hear the Violetric V280 I ordered should help smooth the upper register of treble and really bring out the bass in these.

Aug 12, 2020 at 5:17 AM Post #11,458 of 12,748
Has anyone compared the tonal characteristics of the LCD-X with the Hifiman Arya? I am trying to choose between the two.
I would say Arya is a more conventional tuning that may satisfy more people. Detail level is about the same. Arya is more spacious and softer sounding. The X is more dynamic and definitely punchier with better bass slam. With modern and bassy music the X is a killer. I would probably take the Arya with relaxing jazz or acoustic music.
My personal choice is the X as I find it more exciting and that dynamic bass is to die for. (Not that the Arya doesn't have bass, it is just softer and more polite.)

Aug 12, 2020 at 6:17 AM Post #11,459 of 12,748
So I’m coming from a slew of gear. HD6XX, Focal Elex (too bright for long listening sessions but I initially liked them) and lately the Aeon flow (too dark with mod bass bloom, but really liked them when I was in the mood) for me the X is essentially perfect. Can be a touch too hot for me at 14K but other than that I’m very much enjoying it. Just waiting on a better amp to bring out their fullest. The THX 789 doesn’t swing enough current to keep up in the lowest of lows with the X to my ears. From what I hear the Violetric V280 I ordered should help smooth the upper register of treble and really bring out the bass in these.
I just picked an EL ll stack and it really has a more full sound than my 887. I really think THX has its place but with the X's you can do so much better with technically a lesser amp. You are probably going to love your upgrade.

Aug 12, 2020 at 6:55 AM Post #11,460 of 12,748
I would say Arya is a more conventional tuning that may satisfy more people. Detail level is about the same. Arya is more spacious and softer sounding. The X is more dynamic and definitely punchier with better bass slam. With modern and bassy music the X is a killer. I would probably take the Arya with relaxing jazz or acoustic music.
My personal choice is the X as I find it more exciting and that dynamic bass is to die for. (Not that the Arya doesn't have bass, it is just softer and more polite.)

How do the LCD-X and Arya compare for trebles and mids? I currently have some closed-back ZMF Eikons and I find the trebles too rolled off for my liking (ie not bright enough), altough I like the bass and mids. I tried Focal Clears and found them too bright and fatiguing, especially on less well recorded music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back