Audeze LCD-X
Apr 13, 2020 at 2:26 AM Post #11,251 of 12,748
it s expansive drive the hd800 properly ..
Well, I'm quite happy with on how my Violectric pair drives the 800S in a balanced mode - no complains. 800S is sometimes too sterile and too wide /expansive sounding for genres like techical death metal )

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2020 at 2:45 AM Post #11,252 of 12,748
Hello,
I believe that there are owners of both LCD-X and HD800S in this thread.
What do you guys think if I keep 800S for classic music and buy the LCD-X for heavy genres and jazz. Will it work?
In general I prefer a neutral sound signature. I just need a good pair of planar-magnetic open HP which suits some genres better than the 800S. I like planar-magnetic type of bass better than a dynamic one.
Why LCD-X? From various reviews I understood that this is what I need - less coloration than LCD2,3, high resolution and PRaT.
Thank you in advance for your thoughts/feedback.

In parallel I also l consider Ether 2, Ether 1.1, Aeon 2 Open.

And if you could stretch your budget a bit, include the RAD-0 to your considerations. The RAD-0 has become my end game open headphones and it could also become your end game, and you may sell the 800s to help with the budget.

Apr 18, 2020 at 4:33 PM Post #11,254 of 12,748
chord hugo (now available for cheap) + audeze lcd x.. what else!!
ah yes, some lighter cans!

I've recently acquired a pair of Audeze LCD-X's. I've been using a Dragonfly Cobalt but looking to upgrade now. I've narrowed down my options and see I can get a new Qutest or a used Hugo2 for about the same cost. I've not listened to anything (how can we during lockdown?) Apparently, they have the same exact DAC. I don't need the portability of the Hugo2 but like the idea of amp/dac combo with battery power all-in-one. I've also head that the amp in the Hugo2 works well with the LCD-X. I have no idea of what sandalone amp to consider (there's to much choice!!!) Any suggestions or advice?

Apr 18, 2020 at 4:37 PM Post #11,255 of 12,748
Hi, after six months of intensive listening to LCD-X, I've come to the conclusion that they sound significantly better on high gain. It's not a matter of power, my Asgard 2 has quite enough power in low gain. IMO, high gain gives much more dynamics, mids become livelier, fuller, they aren't subdued at all. One more thing - here where I live temperatures are extremely high during the summer period and Asgard gets too hot, I can't leave it turned on for more than a couple of hours. Do you think that JDS Labs Atom pairs well with LCD-X? I need an amp that doesn't get too hot and that sounds nice.

Can you give me some examples of high gain amps which you've tested with the LCD-X?

Apr 18, 2020 at 4:38 PM Post #11,256 of 12,748
I've recently acquired a pair of Audeze LCD-X's. I've been using a Dragonfly Cobalt but looking to upgrade now. I've narrowed down my options and see I can get a new Qutest or a used Hugo2 for about the same cost. I've not listened to anything (how can we during lockdown?) Apparently, they have the same exact DAC. I don't need the portability of the Hugo2 but like the idea of amp/dac combo with battery power all-in-one. I've also head that the amp in the Hugo2 works well with the LCD-X. I have no idea of what sandalone amp to consider (there's to much choice!!!) Any suggestions or advice?
Qutest + Drop x Cavalli Liquid Carbon would be a very solid choice IMO. Wouldn't cost you too much more than the used Hugo2 but would give you more power and versatility in the long run.

Apr 18, 2020 at 4:42 PM Post #11,257 of 12,748
Qutest + Drop x Cavalli Liquid Carbon would be a very solid choice IMO. Wouldn't cost you too much more than the used Hugo2 but would give you more power and versatility in the long run.
What about the Schitt Mjolnir??? Anyone compare to the the Cavalli. I know the Mjolnir is much more expensive.

Apr 18, 2020 at 11:53 PM Post #11,258 of 12,748
What about the Schitt Mjolnir??? Anyone compare to the the Cavalli. I know the Mjolnir is much more expensive.
You phrased your question in a way that made it seem like your budget wouldn't stretch that far. My assumption was that the top of your budget was the Hugo2 or the Qutest+something reasonably cheap. If your budget can buy you the qutest and mjolnur that is a better choice. If you can tell us how far your budget actually goes it might help a little.

Apr 19, 2020 at 12:34 AM Post #11,259 of 12,748
Hugo2 and lcd X is a great combo
If the price is the same of just the qutest I would go for the hugo
And I think is better than the cavalli amp and the mijolnir sound to open and bright even with audezs in my opinion.

Apr 23, 2020 at 5:15 PM Post #11,262 of 12,748
New member of the crew here!

Just received mine today from another member of the forum and I'm ecstatic! The bass response is incredible and I'm hearing textures in songs that I'd never heard previously. As I suspected, the treble is a little recessed for my taste but a bit of EQing through my DAC has corrected that. I'll be using these to listen to music as well as post production sound mixing while I'm working from home. They're definitely heavy, but I think the comfort level will be ok. Can't wait to put some hours on these things!

image0.jpeg

Apr 23, 2020 at 8:41 PM Post #11,263 of 12,748
I just got mine 2 days ago! They are wonderful phones with an addictive sound signature! Try playing Thomas Dolby's Hyperactive and hear the LCDX come alive!

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2020 at 2:21 AM Post #11,264 of 12,748
oooh congrats ! Mine is in the delivery truck ! Bought second hand, not many post 2016 around here in Amsterdam.
Talking about Europe, has anyone had their drivers replaced under warranty from Europe ? How''s the Audeze service and turn around outside the USA ?

Apr 24, 2020 at 8:01 AM Post #11,265 of 12,748
Mine are second hand from the bay. Was not expecting to get blown away, but I was!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back