Audeze LCD-X
May 1, 2018 at 7:24 PM Post #9,916 of 12,748
I have the Black Label and sometimes pair it with my LCD-X. While the combo is not unpleasant, it definitely does not bring out the full potential of the X. The slight warmth, slight smoothed over sound of the DAC/amp doesn't fit the big strengths of the X: detail, imaging, and texture. The X also does, IMO, need the iFi bass boost to sound full. I love the Black Label to death and you certainly wouldn't hate the X with it, but you can do better.

The Jot would be a better match-up for the amp, but the slapped on DACs I've heard it with have not impressed me.
Thank you for the reply! Have you heard the Jot with the balanced dac or the Multibit dac module? And also, do you have any suggestions for amps/Dacs in the price range I mentioned before?

May 1, 2018 at 7:42 PM Post #9,917 of 12,748
Thank you for the reply! Have you heard the Jot with the balanced dac or the Multibit dac module? And also, do you have any suggestions for amps/Dacs in the price range I mentioned before?

I realize I made omitted a word in my original post. I meant to say that the X does not need the iFi bass boost.

Anyway... The Jot I heard was with the balanced DAC. I haven't heard the multi-bit insert for the Jot, but I have heard the BiFrost multibit. While the latter was not a bad DAC, it wasn't to my taste as I felt it was a little analog and smooth sounding. I paired it with a couple of other planars (not the X though) and thought the pairing was kind of a waste of the driver speed and resolution of the planars. On the other hand, the HD650 sounded terrific with it. The balanced DAC Jot faired a bit better, IMO.

I hesitate to recommend specifics, because I am not very familiar with all the options. But, I would suggest something very clean and very detailed to best match the LCD-X. Around $500, I have been intrigued by the Topping DX7S and the Monolith THX AAA. They each have amazing specs and would be worth looking into.

For a more money, there are some outstanding options like the Questyle CMA400i, the Audio-gd 28.38, and the RME ADI-2 DAC. All of which have excellent reputations, and I can personally vouch for the 28.38/LCD-X pairing.

May 1, 2018 at 8:45 PM Post #9,919 of 12,748
Thank you guys for all the suggestions and opinions! I have actually looked at the nfb28.38 and it sounds like it is a really good amp/dac; however, I am a bit scared because of the shipping costs and when/if I need it to get fixed.

The Foster HP-A4BL also seems pretty interesting.

May 1, 2018 at 9:00 PM Post #9,920 of 12,748
Thank you guys for all the suggestions and opinions! I have actually looked at the nfb28.38 and it sounds like it is a really good amp/dac; however, I am a bit scared because of the shipping costs and when/if I need it to get fixed.

The Foster HP-A4BL also seems pretty interesting.

That is understandable. I priced out shipping it back to China before I bought one. For me, it would cost just over $100. Factoring that cost and really the very low likelihood of having to send it back for repairs, I decided the unit was still a great value. Kingwa is great about answering emails and will try to troubleshoot any issues with you before having you send it back. He's on Head-Fi too, for even more direct communication. I'm not trying to tell you it's the best option for you, but Audio-gd has been a great company to purchase from. I wouldn't worry about that.

May 1, 2018 at 9:05 PM Post #9,921 of 12,748
Tell me that's not sexy.... :wink:

20180312_165648.jpg

May 2, 2018 at 5:46 PM Post #9,923 of 12,748
Hey everyone. I bought the X two weeks ago. So far it's been an incredible journey through my favorite music. I've been on a binge of rediscovering albums I had heard tens if not hundreds of time before. I listen to a pretty wide range of music but more than 50% consists of really heavy guitar driven stuff. The bass response alone is such a step up from HD650's. I auditioned the X and 2C for an hour and even the LCD 3 for a few songs. 2C was way too dark for my taste. IMO the X was better in every aspect.

After a few hours of listening at home I started to feel pain in my right earlobe. It got a bit uncomfortable and I realized that my ear is touching the fazor. So I cut up some foam and inserted it under the thin side of the pads. It immediately improved the comfort. I even emailed Audeze about it and they were very helpful but I got the new earpads and the foam inserts they provide are useless in my case.
I like the pairing with my Jot but it's my first "real" dedicated amp/dac so I cannot make any comparisons.

The sound is just so wonderfully natural and detailed. The soundstage is also wider than the 650's one.
When I invite friends to try them, nobody wants to leave. :)

IMG_0946.JPG

Does anyone here use the Reveal plugin or something like Sonarworks Truefi with the X?

May 2, 2018 at 6:25 PM Post #9,924 of 12,748
Does anyone here use the Reveal plugin or something like Sonarworks Truefi with the X?[/QUOTE]

I use truefi with my X, and I have definitely enjoyed it. I think they have a trial.

May 2, 2018 at 6:25 PM Post #9,925 of 12,748
Has anyone here used the X with the deckard, and know whether it would be an upgrade from the iFi Micro iDSD? Found one for 325, thinking about snagging it.

May 2, 2018 at 9:49 PM Post #9,926 of 12,748
Hi guys,

I'm looking for a new amp to drive the LCD-X, would love to have a warmer and bassy sound.
Any suggestions for me to research? Since my DAC is balanced, should I go for balanced? Or it doesn't matter.

Thanks.

May 2, 2018 at 11:05 PM Post #9,929 of 12,748
Hey everyone. I bought the X two weeks ago. So far it's been an incredible journey through my favorite music. I've been on a binge of rediscovering albums I had heard tens if not hundreds of time before. I listen to a pretty wide range of music but more than 50% consists of really heavy guitar driven stuff. The bass response alone is such a step up from HD650's. I auditioned the X and 2C for an hour and even the LCD 3 for a few songs. 2C was way too dark for my taste. IMO the X was better in every aspect.

After a few hours of listening at home I started to feel pain in my right earlobe. It got a bit uncomfortable and I realized that my ear is touching the fazor. So I cut up some foam and inserted it under the thin side of the pads. It immediately improved the comfort. I even emailed Audeze about it and they were very helpful but I got the new earpads and the foam inserts they provide are useless in my case.
I like the pairing with my Jot but it's my first "real" dedicated amp/dac so I cannot make any comparisons.

The sound is just so wonderfully natural and detailed. The soundstage is also wider than the 650's one.
When I invite friends to try them, nobody wants to leave. :)

Does anyone here use the Reveal plugin or something like Sonarworks Truefi with the X?
I use truefi with my X, and I have definitely enjoyed it. I think they have a trial.[/QU

I purchased truefi after using the trial for a few days. After trying spectrum anaylizers, EQ, etc., I came across a comment about truefi, gave it a whirl, and was done. Really enjoy it as well.

May 4, 2018 at 11:41 PM Post #9,930 of 12,748
Hi guys,

I'm looking for a new amp to drive the LCD-X, would love to have a warmer and bassy sound.
Any suggestions for me to research? Since my DAC is balanced, should I go for balanced? Or it doesn't matter.

Thanks.
What budget or price range do you have in mind? That is always an essential consideration in these kinds of inquiries.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back