Audeze LCD-X
Nov 3, 2017 at 12:05 AM Post #9,692 of 12,748
I've been listening to the Gumby / Sangaku set up for a day now, and my initial impressions are as follows.
The Combo is quite neutral to my ears, and the clarity and separation is outstanding. Like CCXR594 mentioned, there is a bit more reverb than normal, but I love it. This combo blows the magni 2 and modi 2 completely out of the water, instruments sound exactly like they're being played live, something the magni 2 failed to recreate. I'll update in a couple of weeks when the Gumby is more broken in. Oh, and vocals give me literal chills.
Cheers!

Nov 3, 2017 at 12:57 PM Post #9,693 of 12,748
Okay, the reveal application is out. Tried to download a vst plug-in for FB2K. Found Foo_VST-SRC.zip. Unrecognized file-type. Does someone have an active link to version 0309 of the proper glugin? Thanks.

Nov 3, 2017 at 1:10 PM Post #9,694 of 12,748
I've been listening to the Gumby / Sangaku set up for a day now, and my initial impressions are as follows.
The Combo is quite neutral to my ears, and the clarity and separation is outstanding. Like CCXR594 mentioned, there is a bit more reverb than normal, but I love it. This combo blows the magni 2 and modi 2 completely out of the water, instruments sound exactly like they're being played live, something the magni 2 failed to recreate. I'll update in a couple of weeks when the Gumby is more broken in. Oh, and vocals give me literal chills.
Cheers!
Nice to hear your impressions are similar to mine. Vocals definitely shine on the Sangaku, especially sultry female jazz. Highly recommend listening to Strange Fruit by Nina Simone or Black Coffee by Ella Fitzgerald; those tracks completely blew me away.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2017 at 1:55 PM Post #9,695 of 12,748
Okay, the reveal application is out. Tried to download a vst plug-in for FB2K. Found Foo_VST-SRC.zip. Unrecognized file-type. Does someone have an active link to version 0309 of the proper glugin? Thanks.
You could test http://www.yohng.com/software/foobarvst.html
if the VST adapter 2.4 isn't working out. I've used both, and haven't had any problems.

Nov 3, 2017 at 3:00 PM Post #9,696 of 12,748
You could test http://www.yohng.com/software/foobarvst.html
if the VST adapter 2.4 isn't working out. I've used both, and haven't had any problems.
Thanks. Got version the VST installed. I installed the Audeze app, selecting vst32bit choice. I'm trying to add the plug-in to the VST, but can't figure out where it's installed. Will keep plugging. If anyone chooses to try it with FB2K, I'd appreciate your input. I'm not saying I have to use it, as someone gave me a pretty nice EQ file. But I'm just curious.

Nov 3, 2017 at 3:54 PM Post #9,697 of 12,748
Thanks. Got version the VST installed. I installed the Audeze app, selecting vst32bit choice. I'm trying to add the plug-in to the VST, but can't figure out where it's installed. Will keep plugging. If anyone chooses to try it with FB2K, I'd appreciate your input. I'm not saying I have to use it, as someone gave me a pretty nice EQ file. But I'm just curious.
By default on a 64bit windoze the Audeze installer "installs" = unpacks the 32-bit plugin to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steinberg\VstPlugins, (and on 32bit windoze to C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VstPlugins).
You just need to configure the VST wrapper/adapter to search/scan the correct folder for it to appear to be enabled/selectable in fb2k.

Nov 3, 2017 at 4:28 PM Post #9,698 of 12,748
By default on a 64bit windoze the Audeze installer "installs" = unpacks the 32-bit plugin to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steinberg\VstPlugins, (and on 32bit windoze to C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VstPlugins).
You just need to configure the VST wrapper/adapter to search/scan the correct folder for it to appear to be enabled/selectable in fb2k.
Thanks again. I did find the steinburg entry in the PF86 folder. Wasn't sure if it was the right one. That's great.

Nov 3, 2017 at 11:50 PM Post #9,699 of 12,748
Nice to hear your impressions are similar to mine. Vocals definitely shine on the Sangaku, especially sultry female jazz. Highly recommend listening to Strange Fruit by Nina Simone or Black Coffee by Ella Fitzgerald; those tracks completely blew me away.
Bless your soul man I have no regrets buying this stack.

Nov 4, 2017 at 6:35 AM Post #9,703 of 12,748
That's all right. As a blind guy, I prefer verbosity. Thanks. I'll try it today.
Oh crap, my apologies. The VST wrapper/adapter needs to "know" where the plugin is located, that's all, to be able to be "selectable" = activated, to function.

I just tested Reveal for an hour or two whilst working, wasn't exactly to my liking tbh, but it's YMMV anyways. Unable to verify what actually happens, I get the idea between dry and a wet mix, tested it with different materials, ranging from bright to thick and grungy releases, wasn't to my liking from what I was "expecting" :p It's funny how I actually enjoy some bright releases with bright headphones, even though generally I'm not a fan of brightness due to some treble sensitivity issues - what a wonderful hobby this is :p

Nov 4, 2017 at 7:31 AM Post #9,704 of 12,748
Oh crap, my apologies. The VST wrapper/adapter needs to "know" where the plugin is located, that's all, to be able to be "selectable" = activated, to function.

I just tested Reveal for an hour or two whilst working, wasn't exactly to my liking tbh, but it's YMMV anyways. Unable to verify what actually happens, I get the idea between dry and a wet mix, tested it with different materials, ranging from bright to thick and grungy releases, wasn't to my liking from what I was "expecting" :p It's funny how I actually enjoy some bright releases with bright headphones, even though generally I'm not a fan of brightness due to some treble sensitivity issues - what a wonderful hobby this is :p
Appology unnecessary. You explain well. And thanks for taking the time. I'll post my opinions when I get it running.

Nov 8, 2017 at 4:23 PM Post #9,705 of 12,748
Finally got my LCD-X back after having them repaired, the yoke broke as soon as I picked them up out of the case, whoops! After receiving the repair kit and fixing them up, I've finally gotten a chance to listen to them for a few hours today.

They did replace the pads and headband (no upgrade to the carbon fiber one unfortunately) and upgraded the drivers from 2014 to the most recent ones, which are the 2016 ones I believe. As far as differences go, I noticed that they seemed a tad brighter/harsher than I remember them being, and that the soundstage shrinked slightly (although that's probably just bad memory). I'll need more burn in time to fully become accustomed to them, but right now I'm just relieved I can finally listen to them again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back