Audeze LCD-X
Mar 23, 2017 at 12:31 AM Post #9,197 of 12,748
Sonarworks works miracles with both my LCD X (custom)  and Hd 800 (Off the shelf, bass flat).

Mar 23, 2017 at 12:35 AM Post #9,198 of 12,748
Speaking personally, I don't want vinyl seats in my Mercedes.  Personally, I think that anything with an LCD in it's name ought to be offered with one option: A carbon fibre headband.  If that makes them expensive,  well....

Mar 24, 2017 at 7:28 AM Post #9,200 of 12,748
Still don't know how to get the sonarworks setup for the Xs

Things should be getting much easier to install Sonarworks now. They just updated the software so it works system wide. I use the plugin now, but I plan on trying the updated version soon so I can use it with Tidal.

Check out their site for details.

Mar 24, 2017 at 11:53 AM Post #9,201 of 12,748
My apologies, I have the Eikon, not the Ori, so I won't be able to make a fair comparison.

I'll just say that the LCD-X has delicious bloomy bass layering, lush mids and vocals in a nice open soundstage. It has the most treble energy among the LCDs, but still has a thick, warm tilt. My Eikon in comparison has a more closed-in feel but gives a more focused sound, like in a studio, while the X has a concert-like feel. Is it worth $1700? For me yes.

Can you describe any other comparisons between the LCD-x and the eikon?

Mar 24, 2017 at 7:57 PM Post #9,202 of 12,748
Can you describe any other comparisons between the LCD-x and the eikon?

The first time I tried the Eikon, I thought it was pretty terrible. It had bloomy bass that was not well composed. The treble was quite hot with sibilance and was fatigue inducing. Not good at all. This listening session was through a Sony PHA-3.

Then a buddy of mine bought it. I was confused, because he has good ears. I have subsequently tried the Eikon several times with different gear and have found that it requires a better than average amp and DAC. The amp must have plenty of power; anything under around 3000 mW need not apply.

With a good amp and DAC, the Eikon will reward you with really good sound reproduction. It does tilt towards having higher upper mids and treble energy. It is well controlled with a good DAC, but be prepared for a bit of brighter presentation. Otherwise, the bass and mids are good.

If you have or are willing to get a good amp and DAC, then the Eikon is good.

Mar 24, 2017 at 8:02 PM Post #9,203 of 12,748
Having just listened to "The Jesus and Mary Chain - Damage and Joy" then "Steve Hackett - The Night Siren" with these headphones. I must say they are superb indeed

Mar 24, 2017 at 8:55 PM Post #9,204 of 12,748
recommending everyone with a mac to check out Sonarworks systemwide app and their calibration for the X.  night and day. will make you wonder how you ever listened to them without it and is about the cheapest upgrade you could make for the difference in sound.

Mar 25, 2017 at 5:01 PM Post #9,206 of 12,748

Sonarworks works miracles with both my LCD X (custom)  and Hd 800 (Off the shelf, bass flat).

I find the whole thing extremely irritating!  I received my 5-day trial email, download the SW SW (systemwide software).  I try to register with my code, and they say you have to get another code and do backflips etc.  Oh!  They also have a visual capcha.  One would think an audio program would have a sound capcha; they're not selling videogames which I'd have no use for.  I realllly HATE capchas; they're everywhere.
I couldn't get the pluggin to work for the original 21-day trial, either.  So, you're not the only one having trouble with @Rude Wolf's fine software.

Mar 25, 2017 at 10:21 PM Post #9,207 of 12,748
Unless I'm missing something big time in program setup and use, Sonarworks for my LCD-X on my Mac Mini running Audirvana 3 outputting AOIP via Dante client to UnDaes-0 outputting via AES to Schiit Yggy to Schiit Rag to LCD-X sounds decidedly INFERIOR to not using it at all. Plus it was a pain in the ass to get it running in the first place. Comments?

Mar 26, 2017 at 1:49 PM Post #9,208 of 12,748
Unless I'm missing something big time in program setup and use, Sonarworks for my LCD-X on my Mac Mini running Audirvana 3 outputting AOIP via Dante client to UnDaes-0 outputting via AES to Schiit Yggy to Schiit Rag to LCD-X sounds decidedly INFERIOR to not using it at all. Plus it was a pain in the ass to get it running in the first place. Comments?

I'd chalk it up to either the pretty significant frequency response variations from pair to pair (meaning your pair is actually pretty different than the "average" correction curve in use) or you just prefer the sound of the LCD-X as is. I wish I did - it would save me the trouble ha. But I prefer mine with sonarworks no question.

Mar 26, 2017 at 8:15 PM Post #9,209 of 12,748

Can't tell you about the sound because it's a pain to get running.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back