Audeze LCD-X
Feb 26, 2017 at 5:03 AM Post #9,091 of 12,748
The Audio-GD products are completely balanced, so a balanced Amp/DAC means that it has a discrete DAC section for each half of the amp.

The 29 has very similar internal architecture as the 28, just without a balanced headphone out.

(edit) should add that all of AGD's amps use a current-based topology rather than a voltage based one. This is especially well suited for planars like LCD-X due to their impedance curve and basic operating principles.

Ah I see. Thanks for clearing the confusion.

Feb 28, 2017 at 8:25 PM Post #9,093 of 12,748

How often do you guys clean and condition the leather with close to daily usage on the lcd-x?

I wipe them down with a microfibre cloth every few days. Typically I'll condition the leather once a month, or whenever I notice the pads showing signs of use. 

I've not been aware about conditioning leather.  How is that done?

Feb 28, 2017 at 11:17 PM Post #9,094 of 12,748
  I've not been aware about conditioning leather.  How is that done?

I'm sure there are plenty of products out there that could do the trick, but I actually use Audeze's leather conditioner. It keeps the ear pads and headband clean and may help protect the leather over time. 

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1072801-REG/audeze_lcd_lcare_custom_leather_care_kit.html

Mar 1, 2017 at 3:16 PM Post #9,095 of 12,748
So, a pair of LCD-X's and a Schiit Jotunheim are currently en route to my home.  This is my very first step into high-end audio so I'm wondering - Is there anything else I should purchase to start out that I might not otherwise think of?

I'm going to find and order a decibel-meter so that I can make sure I'm not destroying my hearing, but besides that I don't have any other purchases planned for my new set-up.  If you guys think the LCD-X's need anything else to shine I'd love to hear about it. 

Mar 1, 2017 at 3:33 PM Post #9,096 of 12,748
  So, a pair of LCD-X's and a Schiit Jotunheim are currently en route to my home.  This is my very first step into high-end audio so I'm wondering - Is there anything else I should purchase to start out that I might not otherwise think of?

I'm going to find and order a decibel-meter so that I can make sure I'm not destroying my hearing, but besides that I don't have any other purchases planned for my new set-up.  If you guys think the LCD-X's need anything else to shine I'd love to hear about it. 

Do you get a balanced cable with it? If not, get one, just so that you get more power.

Mar 1, 2017 at 5:01 PM Post #9,099 of 12,748

I use that pairing - love it. Keep the gain low, as it gets a little shouty set to high gain.

Mar 1, 2017 at 5:25 PM Post #9,100 of 12,748

You're at a good starting place. Get a good feel for what your new system sounds like and then, if you haven't already done do, go to local meets and compare your system with others. That'll expand your knowledge and help you make tweaks to your system.

Mar 1, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #9,101 of 12,748

That's what I use and I really like the pairing. Not sure I am looking at upgrading anything at the moment. I feed my system through an Esoteric DAC.  

Mar 1, 2017 at 10:38 PM Post #9,104 of 12,748
Liquid carbon V2 came in today and I'm not sure if it's just me but I think mojo straight to my LCD X sounds better. Lol

Could be that your ears are conditioned to the Mojo and you're not used to a new sound. Have you tried listening to a variety of music with the LC v2? You may find that you prefer it on certain recordings. And who knows, if you keep listening maybe it'll improve with some burn-in.

Mar 2, 2017 at 10:25 AM Post #9,105 of 12,748
When I move the cups out and against my ears I can hear a pop noise due the pressure created by the air inside, moving the diaphragms (or other thing). If it's the diaphragm, I understand the driver failures that the LCD series has... It should have another scape for the air, like the joint between the ear cups and the aluminum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back