Audeze LCD-X
Feb 22, 2017 at 11:21 PM Post #9,031 of 12,748
The dac on my motherboard is the same as this. I probably won't need a discrete one right?

The chip might be the same, but I guarantee the implementation on the NFB11 is vastly superior. Output stage and topography are almost more important than the chip.

Feb 22, 2017 at 11:23 PM Post #9,032 of 12,748
The chip might be the same, but I guarantee the implementation on the NFB11 is vastly superior. Output stage and topography are almost more important than the chip.

Interesting. Well I don't hear any noise and interference but since you said there will be a benefit I could jump for this. I found a local seller so that's great. Will need to sell off my HD650 and the amplifier to get this though.

Feb 22, 2017 at 11:38 PM Post #9,033 of 12,748

It seems that the 2016/2017 driver revisions are indeed more linear than earlier iterations according to my frequency response graph.

Feb 23, 2017 at 12:33 AM Post #9,035 of 12,748
  Initial impressions: I am finding that the treble sounds a bit attenuated? I haven't put my finger on where the roll-off begins yet.... The Bass has s glorious neutralish presence with amazing impact (pneumatic pressure is high too though which can be a bit fatiguing at higher SPL's). Mids seems to be linear and not unnaturally sibilant which is awesome! Melissa Menago's album titled "Little Crimes" (24BIT/192KHZ) can come across as unnaturally sibilant with lesser sources and headphones so it was a great experience to really enjoy my favorite tracks from said album. 

Not surprising to hear about the treble. I thought the LCD-X was the best Audeze headphone I'd heard, but there was something always odd going on with the overall treble consistency/coherency. Tyll also mentions it in his review of the LCD4

Feb 23, 2017 at 12:46 PM Post #9,037 of 12,748
So when I received my Andromeda, I said that I may sell my X: This was after a couple of months of it being broken, plus the month for it to be repaired, a good three months of not hearing it.

Well. I was wrong. So god darned wrong. Combined with the comfort of the newly applied micro suede (if you don't have them, get them), the X is once again blowing my mind.

Never going to say goodbye to that Audeze sound - Its here to stay!

Feb 23, 2017 at 1:23 PM Post #9,038 of 12,748
Just waiting on my Liquid Carbon to come in. Got the Mojo yesterday and it powered my LCD-X's just fine. Anyone here got an LC to Mojo combo? Any thoughts on how it sounds?

I have this combo. Albeit I use the Wyrd4Sound Recovery to feed the Mojo bits and the Mojo is feeding the analog signal to the LC via a DITA Audio Ven Den Hul 3.3mm interconnect. I absolutely love this system. The intimate mids stand out the most followed by the uber detailed bass, and then the treble. I am still trying to figure out how I feel about the treble but I need to get some extended listening in as I have just had a couple days with my new LCD-X's. I posted my frequency graph a few posts back too.

Feb 23, 2017 at 3:01 PM Post #9,039 of 12,748
  I tried the LCD-X pluggin for the 21-day trial, and couldn't get it to work; though I was using XP at the time.  I've since gone to W7X64-bit.  Using FB2K and installed the VST file that came with the trial version.
What I'm wondering is: was it because I was running XP that it didn't work for me?  Or did I just screw up?  Before I blow money on something that may fight me on just getting it to work, I wouldn't mind a bit of feedback.

where to get the plugin for LCD-X?

Feb 23, 2017 at 3:09 PM Post #9,040 of 12,748

I tried the LCD-X pluggin for the 21-day trial, and couldn't get it to work; though I was using XP at the time.  I've since gone to W7X64-bit.  Using FB2K and installed the VST file that came with the trial version.
What I'm wondering is: was it because I was running XP that it didn't work for me?  Or did I just screw up?  Before I blow money on something that may fight me on just getting it to work, I wouldn't mind a bit of feedback.

where to get the plugin for LCD-X?

Oh, sorry.  It was from the sonarworks website.

Feb 23, 2017 at 7:15 PM Post #9,044 of 12,748
Hi all, Head-Fi super-noob here, so I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place.  I've made extensive use of the search function over the past few days and I'm just trying to make sure my bases are covered.

I've just ordered my first pair of proper high-end cans - the LCD-X.  I don't have a DAC/Amp yet and I've been wracking my brain the last few days trying to decide which combo to get.  Unfortunately I can not demo any of them, so I was just hoping to see if anyone had any insight on which ones I should shy away from or if any of them are definitely a winner.  Here is what I'm looking at so far, in order by cost:

Schiit Jotnuheim

Oppo HA-1

Schiit Mojinir 2/Gungnir

I've had someone recommend me that Magni 2/Modi 2 stack but I'm worried that if I don't give myself the option to go balanced I'll regret it in the future.  Am I pigeonholing myself with that train of thought?  I'm open to any and all suggestions.  Obviously the lower the cost the better but I'm trying to keep it under USD2,000. Thanks for any insight!

I recommend adding the Chord Hugo and/or Hugo2 to the list...

Feb 23, 2017 at 7:22 PM Post #9,045 of 12,748
I would recommend the IFI IDSD Micro BL as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back