Audeze LCD-X
Feb 18, 2017 at 12:17 AM Post #8,972 of 12,748
  would not be surprised if Cavalli's Liquid Lightning is one, after seeing Gilmore's teardown

eek.gif
 I am using the Liquid Gold.

Feb 18, 2017 at 12:22 AM Post #8,973 of 12,748
Not sure if i can link it here, but on another headphone forum whose second name is Case, Kevin Gilmore has disassembled both Liquid Carbon and Liquid Lightning, and the insides are atrocious. It looked like a highschool electronics project with extremely ugly soldering.

Feb 18, 2017 at 12:35 AM Post #8,974 of 12,748
I still can't believe other sites are freaking Voldemort around here...

Feb 18, 2017 at 1:44 AM Post #8,976 of 12,748
  I was on the verge of purchasing a Carbon when I stumbled upon that. Yikes.Has anyone pointed it out in the carbon thread?

I'm sure someone has, but its likely Cavalli deleted it,as manufacturers are wont to do on here. (aside from the mess that was the Edition 6 thread lol)

Feb 18, 2017 at 2:52 PM Post #8,978 of 12,748
is there any official explanation as to why the drivers of LCD-X fail less often (or more rarely) than that of LCD-3? or to begin with, are there any statistics that refer to this difference between the two drivers? In my opinion, Audeze should address this question more openly, and share some more data on the development of its QC. 

Feb 18, 2017 at 3:29 PM Post #8,979 of 12,748
Who cares about build quality. As long as it's expensive

Feb 19, 2017 at 3:41 AM Post #8,981 of 12,748
  is there any official explanation as to why the drivers of LCD-X fail less often (or more rarely) than that of LCD-3? or to begin with, are there any statistics that refer to this difference between the two drivers? In my opinion, Audeze should address this question more openly, and share some more data on the development of its QC. 

I don't think there is any stats. Could just be a bias based on people who have the issue talking about it a lot. 

Either way, I wouldn't get a pair of Audezes without a warranty.... I've seen some pictures of the drivers disassembled. 

Feb 20, 2017 at 8:03 AM Post #8,982 of 12,748
Just got one and have a couple questions.

What's a good replacement headband? Coming from hd800's and these are uncomfortable as hell compared. The top of my head feels pinched when wearing them.

Also how much of an improvement is balanced? I've got a cambridge dac magic plus thinking of going balanced by getting an aune x7s or if not just get an audio gd nfb-11.

Cheers

Feb 20, 2017 at 10:36 AM Post #8,983 of 12,748

What's a good replacement headband? Coming from hd800's and these are uncomfortable as hell compared. The top of my head feels pinched when wearing them.

Also how much of an improvement is balanced? I've got a cambridge dac magic plus thinking of going balanced by getting an aune x7s or if not just get an audio gd nfb-11.

Cheers

The carbon fiber headphone band from audeze really is a lot more comfortable compared to stock. If you can afford it, definitely recommend getting it. It's not cheap at $200.

Feb 20, 2017 at 12:00 PM Post #8,984 of 12,748

Cheers

For better comfort, as Tekk83 has said the carbon fiber headband upgrade from Audeze makes a significant improvement.

As for single-ended or balanced, that largely depends on the amplifier you intend to use it with on whether or not there will be a sound quality improvement. Some amps do perform better in balanced mode versus single-ended.

The only other advantage of a balanced connection is common mode noise rejection, which can be beneficial in some cases where noise is being introduced to the audio signal through the wire.

Feb 20, 2017 at 12:22 PM Post #8,985 of 12,748
For better comfort, as @Tekk83 has said the carbon fiber headband upgrade from Audeze makes a significant improvement.

As for single-ended or balanced, that largely depends on the amplifier you intend to use it with on whether or not there will be a sound quality improvement. Some amps do perform better in balanced mode versus single-ended.

The only other advantage of a balanced connection is common mode noise rejection, which can be beneficial in some cases where noise is being introduced to the audio signal through the wire.

This ^

Balanced in and of itself does not equal better sound. It's all about the amplifier itself, its implementation and topography, and how well it matches with a particular set of headphones. The only real consideration often comes down to power (my Mjolnir 2 has a considerably more powerful balanced output). It does eliminate crosstalk between the channels would can result in a slightly wider soundstage, but in my experience driving the channels individually can also come at the expense of center image precision. Long story short, buy the best sounding amp, and you've got cables to support either connection type 
beerchug.gif

Ditto what the others have said about the carbon fiber headband. Pricey but totally worth the improvement in comfort IMO. If you can't justify the price get a Lohb strap (a member here makes them, also sells on eBay I believe). Not as sexy to look at but just as effective.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back