Audeze LCD-X
Oct 27, 2016 at 5:21 PM Post #8,552 of 12,748

... I was thinking of the platinum, but I auditioned a beautiful sounding cable with an incredably reasonable price, and quite different from my Wywires...

Ok, I'll take the bait...What is this beautiful sounding, reasonably priced cable?

I'm not sure how to answer that without causing trouble for the cable maker.  But, it's called the silver-gold.  The unnamed personage allowed me to compare a box of cables.  I started with my Wywires red, and tried it against a moon silver dragon.  I couldn't hear a perceivable difference, which tells me that Alex can do amazing things with copper.
I was then supposed to try the red, blue and silver-gold from this manufacturer.  I kinda skipped over the red and blue, because I prefer analitical to warm sound.  What I heard, convinced me, on my own, to purchase his sample and send back the others, so other people can hear them.
I don't bother about doctrinaire posts that say things like 'you can't hear a difference, because I can't see a difference on this piece of paper.'   I have to trust my ears as I use them for a marginal living.
If you can figure out the manufacturer from my obvious inferences, get hold of him and see if you can arrange an audition as I did.

Oct 27, 2016 at 5:40 PM Post #8,553 of 12,748
  Not sure if you re-faring to me , but i can tell that i don't need  numbers to tell me if i hear a deference or not ,,

i bought wywire red cable  for my LCD-X , and there was real improvement  , not only me heard it but also my family and my friends , maybe we all imagine things , dont know :)

also i bought a silver dragon cable for my TH-900 ,, it ****ed up the sound stage ,, and the bass was over the top and the headphone was unusable,  thankfully i could return it with no charge ,,

so my friend as you can see measurement dosent mean everything ,, only trust your ears ..

that's so funny my friend haha..

Oct 27, 2016 at 6:39 PM Post #8,554 of 12,748
I don't bother about doctrinaire posts that say things like 'you can't hear a difference, because I can't see a difference on this piece of paper.'   I have to trust my ears as I use them for a marginal living.

"I can't see a difference on a piece of paper" is not the same as "I see no difference on a piece of paper". One single repeatable measurement is all most of us look for, especially in the world of four to five figure cable prices. If there's a sound difference, surely there's a measurement in some way shape or form that reflects this.

Cables CAN make a difference - they can degrade sound quality. Check out the Monster Cable patch cord for bass guitars.

Oct 27, 2016 at 6:42 PM Post #8,555 of 12,748
whoops, double post

Oct 27, 2016 at 9:21 PM Post #8,556 of 12,748
I don't want to perpetuate the cable discussion, but I can't help it, because I don't want heaphone noobs to think they DON'T make a difference.  I can A-B the blue cable that came with the LCD-4s all day long with the Norne Draug2.  The former is very dynamic (almost edgy) and the latter is much smoother.  This coming from a person that leans strongly towards empirical data.  So, if you're 95% in love with your setup, don't hesitate to explore cables for that last little bit (though you may like them less than the originals),

I noticed that Audeze was providing a capacitance spec on their cables which I thought was interesting.  We're clearly not measuring the right data as I've heard differences in each of the cables I've tried - some more subtle than others.

For those of you that haven't tried different cables and are convinced based on data that there aren't sound differences between cables, I encourage you to try for yourself first.

For the LCD-X specifically, I found my 2015 X's peak around 10khz to be fatiguing.  While the Draug2 didn't reduce the volume of this peak, it smoothed it out for me.

Good luck!!

Oct 28, 2016 at 11:18 AM Post #8,557 of 12,748

"I can't see a difference on a piece of paper" is not the same as "I see no difference on a piece of paper". One single repeatable measurement is all most of us look for, especially in the world of four to five figure cable prices. If there's a sound difference, surely there's a measurement in some way shape or form that reflects this.

Cables CAN make a difference - they can degrade sound quality. Check out the Monster Cable patch cord for bass guitars.

Well, they do make a dif with my guitar.  And yes, if cables can degrade sound, you just probed the point.

Oct 28, 2016 at 11:34 AM Post #8,558 of 12,748

Well, they do make a dif with my guitar.  And yes, if cables can degrade sound, you just probed the point.

Right, where you run 35' cables carrying a signal created by passive magnetism. High frequencies are the first to go. Cables can have a large negative impact as you send a weak analog signal through increasingly long lengths. On/off signals are another story.

All folks are looking for are measurements. That's it. What we do see are measurements suggesting the opposite.

Oct 31, 2016 at 3:00 PM Post #8,559 of 12,748

This post is so silly I feel compelled to reply. 

Any scientific measurement will tell you and everyone who cares to listen that the only real consideration in choosing something like a speaker cable( besides insuring that the connections are good and sturdy) is having a cable of sufficiently low resistance to avoid insertion loss.  Insertion loss causes signal level to fall by a uniform amount across the frequency range, because a cable's resistance affects all frequencies equally.  So the highs don't go first.  Everything is diminished equally.  You can counteract this effect by turning up your volume level, or by using a lower gauge wire.  11 gauge speaker wire will go out to 100 feet with no insertion loss at all, and it's not that expensive if you're buying something like Canare 4s11.

Read the audioholics article.

http://www.audioholics.com/audio-video-cables/speaker-cable-gauge

And then there's the Archimago article

http://archimago.blogspot.com/2015/06/measurements-speaker-cables-wires.html

There are others, but anyone who wants to view the data objectively, will find these two compelling and definitive.  As for the others...

Oct 31, 2016 at 3:28 PM Post #8,560 of 12,748

This post is so silly I feel compelled to reply. 

Any scientific measurement will tell you and everyone who cares to listen that the only real consideration in choosing something like a speaker cable( besides insuring that the connections are good and sturdy) is having a cable of sufficiently low resistance to avoid insertion loss.  Insertion loss causes signal level to fall by a uniform amount across the frequency range, because a cable's resistance affects all frequencies equally.  So the highs don't go first.  Everything is diminished equally.  You can counteract this effect by turning up your volume level, or by using a lower gauge wire.  11 gauge speaker wire will go out to 100 feet with no insertion loss at all, and it's not that expensive if you're buying something like Canare 4s11.

Read the audioholics article.

http://www.audioholics.com/audio-video-cables/speaker-cable-gauge

And then there's the Archimago article

There are others, but anyone who wants to view the data objectively, will find these two compelling and definitive.  As for the others...

Great reads. Indeed, another study I read noted that the impedance difference between a $9 cable and a $160 cable is going from 2 ohms to 0.3 ohms. But capacitance can absolutely diminish highs in a guitar signal, as stated. A little. After a good 20 feet.

http://sfguitarworks.com/the-great-cable-myth/

Oct 31, 2016 at 7:57 PM Post #8,561 of 12,748
The Guitarworks article seems to reinforce many of my claims.

As for capacitance, how much is this a problem? How long a length, how much capacitance per ft? And to what degree are inexpensive cables more prone to have issues with this.

I kinda think that for most normal runs, using normal solid state amps this is not an issue in hi fi audio.

http://www.audioholics.com/audio-video-cables/speaker-cable-length-differences-do-they-

Nov 1, 2016 at 6:47 AM Post #8,562 of 12,748
In the last few days, I received my CF headband and my balanced Norne Draug 2 and balanced Wywires Platinum (with adapter links for my Utopia).  The headband and the cables are nice upgrades that make this headphone even better.  With the stock headband, I couldn't listen more than about 20 minutes before I felt uncomfortable.  No comfort issues now with the CF headband and it looks great too.  I'm glad that I didn't sell my X because I'm really liking this headphone now.

Nov 1, 2016 at 9:37 AM Post #8,563 of 12,748
The Guitarworks article seems to reinforce many of my claims.

As for capacitance, how much is this a problem? How long a length, how much capacitance per ft? And to what degree are inexpensive cables more prone to have issues with this.

I kinda think that for most normal runs, using normal solid state amps this is not an issue in hi fi audio.

http://www.audioholics.com/audio-video-cables/speaker-cable-length-differences-do-they-

Indeed, my whole point was "if cables can really degrade sound, it's usually with guitars (whose signal comes from passive magnets), and even then at exceptional lengths".

With the stock headband, I couldn't listen more than about 20 minutes before I felt uncomfortable.  No comfort issues now with the CF headband and it looks great too.  I'm glad that I didn't sell my X because I'm really liking this headphone now.

That good, huh? I'm debating getting a pair for my X and XC but just can't justify the price. But I'm one of these guys that just comes up with ideas and does nothing about them - hey Massdrop, why not make inexpensive aluminum Audeze suspension headbands?? :p

Nov 1, 2016 at 1:48 PM Post #8,564 of 12,748
Improper shielding can def affect the sound.  In my opinion the most important aspect of a 'good' cable is it's shielding.  What is interesting to note is almost none of the high priced after market cables have any sort of shielding.

Nov 1, 2016 at 2:32 PM Post #8,565 of 12,748
Speaking about cables, there is something that I could never understand about cable market, I would be grateful if someone can explain this to me.

The best cable is no cable (they degrade sound quality, the best cable is the one which passes more information of the signal), or at least that is what I understand.
Now, if the material with best electricity conductor known is silver, why aren't all cables silver, I mean, how can a +300usd headphone cable be made with copper?
I know, geometry, capacitance, inductance are all important, but having all those solved (as it should for a cable at that price), why not pure silver? 

Even Nordost Odin 2 is silver plated copper...I don't understand.

EDIT: Please, don't answer with: copper sounds warmer than silver, that's bs, a cable is not a tone controller.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back