Audeze LCD-X
Oct 21, 2016 at 5:53 PM Post #8,536 of 12,748
My conclusion from that article is that measurement tools aren't up to snuff.  If they were, we should all buy the best measured gear and forget about listening evaluations.  This could apply to all gear, not just cables.  Do you listen to headphones that you buy or just look at frequency and waterfall plots and make your buying decisions based on measurements?
I have purchased zero headphones after listening. All of them sound unheard. Everything I own I purchased without listening. You can tell a ton from FR graphs.

Different headphones measure differently. Those graphs are the most damning thing I've ever seen. If every single headphone ever made measured the same, I'd agree.

If cables make a difference, it's not in the frequency response or impulse response.

Someone once theorized the difference is harmonic distortion, which sadly no single person had thought to measure. That, and can you really hear the difference between 0.5% THD and 0.3% THD?

The whole "the tools must not be up to snuff" angle really sounds like the logic of social justice warriors these days - "this data doesn't match my subjective opinion, so the data is wrong"

Placebo is one helluva drug.

Oct 21, 2016 at 7:44 PM Post #8,537 of 12,748

Dang, too bad Tyll tested with the HD600 and not the LCD-X:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/headphone-cable-measurements-part-one-page-2

My conclusion from that article is that measurement tools aren't up to snuff.  If they were, we should all buy the best measured gear and forget about listening evaluations.  This could apply to all gear, not just cables.  Do you listen to headphones that you buy or just look at frequency and waterfall plots and make your buying decisions based on measurements?

That's why I listen, but make up my own mind.  Some people don't believe in cables, some swear by them.  I fall into the latter catagory.  I was thinking of the platinum, but I auditioned a beautiful sounding cable with an incredably reasonable price, and quite different from my Wywires.  And, to me, Wywires blew away the stock.  TEHO

Oct 21, 2016 at 8:10 PM Post #8,538 of 12,748

... I was thinking of the platinum, but I auditioned a beautiful sounding cable with an incredably reasonable price, and quite different from my Wywires...

Ok, I'll take the bait...What is this beautiful sounding, reasonably priced cable?

Oct 22, 2016 at 10:16 AM Post #8,539 of 12,748

That's why I listen, but make up my own mind.  Some people don't believe in cables, some swear by them.  I fall into the latter catagory.  I was thinking of the platinum, but I auditioned a beautiful sounding cable with an incredably reasonable price, and quite different from my Wywires.  And, to me, Wywires blew away the stock.  TEHO

I totally believe in cables, just not for sound improvements :wink:

Oct 24, 2016 at 3:18 PM Post #8,540 of 12,748
Leaving aside the gratuitous political commentary re SJWs, I agree with you.  There are no measurable any of these cable companies or their acolytes can point to which correlates with the things they claim to be hearing. 

Given that some cables, in the loudspeaker world are coming in over $25k, it doesn't seem like too much to ask for a theory why the cable sounds better, measurable evidence the cable is better in the dimensions outlined in the theory, and valid psychoacoustic research evidencing that what they theory outlines, and the specifications measure is indeed a valid parameter that enhances the listeners ability to accurately experience the original source material.

Anything like that forthcoming from these cable companies?

Crickets.

That said, if I like the way a cable looks or the way it fells and believe it is properly designed, like virtually every stock cable is properly designed, then maybe, if it's not too expensive,  then I might in the future consider buying something--but only because I sometimes bite on audio products because of their cosmetics or features even though I know they're doing nothing to enhance the sound.

Oct 24, 2016 at 4:23 PM Post #8,541 of 12,748
Cables can indeed impact your sound - they can attenuate. From a fidelity perspective, this is not a good thing.

Oct 26, 2016 at 3:24 AM Post #8,542 of 12,748
Pardon for sounding like a broken record but cables Do make a difference especially for high definition cans like Audeze and Senny, maybe not to a degree where you want it or the price you pay for but these headphones are Amazing. They scale with better equipments as well as the right cables. Unfortunately, not every cables sound as good as  they say it  and a lot of people have been turned off by it but what if you have a chance to witness it for yourself and it finally makes sense to you, only you and not others opinion. Well, myself and a few folks here have and we are very happy. 

Cheers

Oct 26, 2016 at 6:53 AM Post #8,543 of 12,748
Cables do improve or make it worse for the headphone ,,
any one denies this fact just didn't try for him self or have hearing loss.

Oct 26, 2016 at 9:51 AM Post #8,544 of 12,748
If there was one solitary measurement supporting these claims, people like me would be happy to believe you. So far, frequency response and impulse response aren't affected by cables. "Well, I can hear the difference!" is a cop-out.

Remember when someone compared Monster Cables (considered outrageously expensive at the time) to coat hangers and nobody could tell which was which and everybody thought they both sounded great? Heck, remember when Monster Cables were considered outrageously expensive?

Why are all these companies releasing flagships that are being held back by something as simple as a cable? They should just sell headphones without cables whatsoever.

Oct 26, 2016 at 6:46 PM Post #8,549 of 12,748
  If there was one solitary measurement supporting these claims, people like me would be happy to believe you. So far, frequency response and impulse response aren't affected by cables. "Well, I can hear the difference!" is a cop-out.

Remember when someone compared Monster Cables (considered outrageously expensive at the time) to coat hangers and nobody could tell which was which and everybody thought they both sounded great? Heck, remember when Monster Cables were considered outrageously expensive?

Why are all these companies releasing flagships that are being held back by something as simple as a cable? They should just sell headphones without cables whatsoever.

Not sure if you re-faring to me , but i can tell that i don't need  numbers to tell me if i hear a deference or not ,,

i bought wywire red cable  for my LCD-X , and there was real improvement  , not only me heard it but also my family and my friends , maybe we all imagine things , dont know :)

also i bought a silver dragon cable for my TH-900 ,, it ****ed up the sound stage ,, and the bass was over the top and the headphone was unusable,  thankfully i could return it with no charge ,,

so my friend as you can see measurement dosent mean everything ,, only trust your ears ..

Oct 26, 2016 at 7:20 PM Post #8,550 of 12,748
For good measure, here's a graph which includes LCD-4 overlays from here (2015):
http://www.head-fi.org/t/782442/audeze-lcd-4/1215

And here (2016):
https://headmania.org/2016/04/04/audeze-lcd-4-review/audeze-lcd-4-grapgh/

Putting this into words (using definitions from here: http://www.teachmeaudio.com/mixing/techniques/audio-spectrum/),
Sub bass range:
The 2016 LCD-X in the sub-bass range is most similar to the 2016 LCD-3 unit
Bass range:
The 2016 LCD-X is most similar to the 2016 LCD-3 unit
Low midrange:
The 2016 LCD-X is most similar to the 2014 LCD-X
Midrange:
The 2016 LCD-X is most similar to the 2016 LCD-4
Upper midrange:
The 2016 LCD-X is most similar to the 2015 and 2016 LCD-4 models
Presence:
The 2016 LCD-X is most similar to the 2015 LCD-3
Brilliance:
The 2016 LCD-X is most similar to the 2015 and 2016 LCD-3s, with it tracking the 2015 LCD-3 in about the middle of the brilliance range. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back