Audeze LCD-X
Jun 1, 2016 at 2:39 PM Post #7,951 of 12,748

If you were purchasing directly from Audeze you most probably got new 2016 version. To be sure check if your serial starts with "752" also you can request frequency graph from them directly (via support section on their site) and there's a date when measurement was taken. BTW i'm so in love with new version.

Awesome, serial number does start with "752" so looks good :)

Jun 1, 2016 at 3:41 PM Post #7,956 of 12,748
So far, I think these sound great and I found myself tapping my foot on several tracks I've heard a hundred times before. Really excited to get to know the LCD-X.

On the downside, holy hell are these uncomfortable coming from the extremely comfy HifiMAN HE-560. I can spend hours with those and forget they're even there. I am fully aware that I'm wearing the LCD-Xs, going to take some getting used to for sure.

Jun 1, 2016 at 7:44 PM Post #7,958 of 12,748
Just catching up on this thread - great discussion up above about tube amps that pair well with the LCD-X.  Very interesting stuff.

Personally, I've heard the LCD-X driven by the Ragnarok, WA5, Cavalli LAu, Mjolnir, Asgard2 and Bryston BHA-1.  IMO, the X sound decent with all these amps.

I think the bigger factor in making a good rig with the LCD-X is the DAC.  It controls the SQ of the music that you hear.  The amp just colors (a bit) the analogue signal that's sent to the HP's.  The X are so easy to drive that the amp just kinda gets in the way, IMO.  Feed a decently-decoded signal to your amp and LCD-X, and you won't be disappointed.

BTW, I think that Schiit Audio's idea to make the Mjolnir a SS/tube amp was one of their best decisions ever.  This amp allows for pure SS sound or tube rolling.  You don't have to go all the way to Woo Audio to roll tubes, although the Woo amps are certainly sublime.

This from an LCD-X owner since 2013.

FWIW,
RCB

Jun 1, 2016 at 10:59 PM Post #7,959 of 12,748
Just catching up on this thread - great discussion up above about tube amps that pair well with the LCD-X.  Very interesting stuff.

Personally, I've heard the LCD-X driven by the Ragnarok, WA5, Cavalli LAu, Mjolnir, Asgard2 and Bryston BHA-1.  IMO, the X sound decent with all these amps.

I think the bigger factor in making a good rig with the LCD-X is the DAC.  It controls the SQ of the music that you hear.  The amp just colors (a bit) the analogue signal that's sent to the HP's.  The X are so easy to drive that the amp just kinda gets in the way, IMO.  Feed a decently-decoded signal to your amp and LCD-X, and you won't be disappointed.

BTW, I think that Schiit Audio's idea to make the Mjolnir a SS/tube amp was one of their best decisions ever.  This amp allows for pure SS sound or tube rolling.  You don't have to go all the way to Woo Audio to roll tubes, although the Woo amps are certainly sublime.

FWIW,
RCB

I concur. I think it's the natural progression of understanding SQ. The headphones are obviously the most important component in achieving great SQ. Next, pretty much everyone focuses on the amp and the DAC is often an after thought, often bundled with the amp.

Recently, I have turned my focus to DACs and I'm seeing the large impact the DAC can make. I have found what's even more important is the implementation of the DAC. The same DAC chip implemented by different companies can sound completely different.

I chalk up this type of progression to DACs being relatively more complex to understand and more nuanced than headphones and amps. That's been my experience, anyway.

Jun 2, 2016 at 6:30 AM Post #7,960 of 12,748

FWIW,
RCB

Yep,

I'm a big fan off the X as it one of the Best allround and studio headohones.

As for the Dac. Totally agree, try Meridian Prime or Chord and use their Amp Section. Rocks!!

B

Jun 2, 2016 at 11:01 AM Post #7,961 of 12,748
  So far, I think these sound great and I found myself tapping my foot on several tracks I've heard a hundred times before. Really excited to get to know the LCD-X.

On the downside, holy hell are these uncomfortable coming from the extremely comfy HifiMAN HE-560. I can spend hours with those and forget they're even there. I am fully aware that I'm wearing the LCD-Xs, going to take some getting used to for sure.

You have a few options to make the headphones much more comfortable.

1. order the LDC-4 carbon fiber headband from Audeze for $200
2. order a suspension strap from Lohb for ~$40

The offical Audeze carbon fiber headband looks much nicer and the lohb headband will take you a month to receive... 

Jun 2, 2016 at 11:12 AM Post #7,962 of 12,748

You have a few options to make the headphones much more comfortable.

1. order the LDC-4 carbon fiber headband from Audeze for $200
2. order a suspension strap from Lohb for ~$40

The offical Audeze carbon fiber headband looks much nicer and the lohb headband will take you a month to receive... 

I am seriously considering adding the carbon fiber headband. Does anyone with either of these options have any input on comparisons to HiFiMAN comfort? Will these options (either the carbon fiber headband or the Lohb suspension strap) bring comfort levels on par (or even close to) with the HE-560 for example?

Jun 2, 2016 at 11:38 AM Post #7,963 of 12,748

I am seriously considering adding the carbon fiber headband. Does anyone with either of these options have any input on comparisons to HiFiMAN comfort? Will these options (either the carbon fiber headband or the Lohb suspension strap) bring comfort levels on par (or even close to) with the HE-560 for example?

I have the Lohb strap.. It does make the headphone much more comfortable... Not as pretty as the carbon fiber headband but its not to bad either. Here is a pic from just now (using them at work and can wear them all day without an issue)

Jun 2, 2016 at 11:40 AM Post #7,964 of 12,748

The carbon fiber headbands make a world of difference. With the original headbands, after about 1.5 hours, I would have to take a break. After switching to the carbon fiber ones, I can go for hours now.

As far as comparisons with Hifiman, I have the HE-400i, and assuming the HE560 is not significantly different and I don't think it is based on meet-up trials I had done with the HE560, the Hifiman's lighter weight will still make it easier to wear than the LCD-X. That said, the carbon fiber headbands do an excellent job of distributing that weight and not creating areas of pressure on the top your head.

Well worth the $200 to upgrade IMO.

Jun 2, 2016 at 11:43 AM Post #7,965 of 12,748
The carbon fiber headbands make a world of difference. With the original headbands, after about 1.5 hours, I would have to take a break. After switching to the carbon fiber ones, I can go for hours now.

As far as comparisons with Hifiman, I have the HE-400i, and assuming the HE560 is not significantly different and I don't think it is based on meet-up trials I had done with the HE560, the Hifiman's lighter weight will still make it easier to wear than the LCD-X. That said, the carbon fiber headbands do an excellent job of distributing that weight and not creating areas of pressure on the top your head.

Well worth the $200 to upgrade IMO.

That settles it, thank you. For me the weight isn't so much a killer as the pressure point on top of my head. I'll place an order for the Carbon Fiber headband :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back