Audeze LCD-X
May 27, 2016 at 1:51 AM Post #7,936 of 12,748
I feel like I should add this before the Solid State gang comes after me. I'm definitely a tube guy, but I've heard some SS headphone amps that put my WA22 in check. Questyle's CMA800R monoblock amps and dac stack had me floored through LCD-3Fs at CanJam. They weren't euphonically tube warm but a clean creamy kind of warm and just as wide and 3D sounding as some of the best tubes I've heard. No other amp I heard that day brought that quality out of the 3Fs as noticeably. Wells Audio's Headtrip amp rocked my world too. Best imaging I've ever heard through my LCD-Xs..like scary good. That Headamp GSX mk2 is pretty rad also. I tried and tried both days but the Cavalli amps didn't do it for me. I think they nail delicacy, openness, and subtle details but for trying to rock out to my music it was a no go. To each their own though. I can't wait for T.H.E. Show Newport next weekend. The head-fi area there always has the newest wallet burning goodies to test out.

May 27, 2016 at 3:54 PM Post #7,937 of 12,748
Ok, all this talk of amps has me curious.

I'm very happy with my Ember 2 amp. For the price, the value is really good.

But I'm curious if anyone has heard it and can compare it with the WA22 with the LCD-X.

Really curious if there is much difference sound wise.

May 27, 2016 at 6:14 PM Post #7,938 of 12,748
For the price of a WA22 and tubes you can get a V281 and that is suppose to sound stellar with the LCD-X.

May 29, 2016 at 8:25 PM Post #7,939 of 12,748

I'm the Dark Lord.
biggrin.gif
I think that is a compliment. I'm going to take it that way.
wink.gif

I'm getting everything with this tube arrangement. Detail, warmth, ungodly power from 4 power tubes and big bloody bass. It suits the LCD-X so well. I'm a happy chappie. 

by chance you want to sell me that amp of yours or trade for my WA7+tp?

May 29, 2016 at 8:50 PM Post #7,940 of 12,748

by chance you want to sell me that amp of yours or trade for my WA7+tp?

biggrin.gif
Over my dead body and before you think of knocking me off I'm 6 foot 3 and fairly strong.
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif

The sound is too friggin good.
wink.gif

May 31, 2016 at 1:39 PM Post #7,942 of 12,748
I received the carbon fiber headphone today, and so far I haven't had any comfort issues or hotspot issues. Ordered directly from Audeze.

Looks a lot better than my old solution too! I say its well worth the $200 if you want it to look good and still be comfortable.

However, if you don't care about style and just want something comfortable. I was using a wool knitted cover for the stock headband. You can find these for $9.44 on amazon here. These are extremely comfortable but don't look at nice. Especially from the back since there are buttons.

Another option is getting the AKG 2058Z0902 headband pad here. I personally haven't tried this yet, but its a $20 solution.

I have the same keyboard, even have the purple background most of the time. Sorry off topic, just thought it was cool.

May 31, 2016 at 2:55 PM Post #7,943 of 12,748
The $20 AKG headband replacement works well for me, much better than the Lohb.

May 31, 2016 at 5:38 PM Post #7,944 of 12,748
A little off topic, but does anyone have any experience with storing any of the LCD line headphones in a Pelican Case? I'm looking to order a custom made case for the headphones, DAC, and Amp, but I'm not sure not to get the cutout for the foam measurements perfect.

Something like this.

Jun 1, 2016 at 2:10 PM Post #7,946 of 12,748
Has anyone discussed how to tell the 2016 updated LCD-X apart from older models? I just received a new pair (direct from Audeze) this morning and would like to confirm.

There was some discussion earlier in this thread. IIRC, the cable connection area on both cups is now black instead of the shiny silver finish on the older ones.

There were some other areas of change discussed too. Just look back a few pages.

Jun 1, 2016 at 2:10 PM Post #7,947 of 12,748
Has anyone discussed how to tell the 2016 updated LCD-X apart from older models? I just received a new pair (direct from Audeze) this morning and would like to confirm.

In the box you will find am inspection date.. considering you bought them directly from Audeze, new... you should be pretty confident that they are the 2016 edition

Jun 1, 2016 at 2:11 PM Post #7,948 of 12,748

If you were purchasing directly from Audeze you most probably got new 2016 version. To be sure check if your serial starts with "752" also you can request frequency graph from them directly (via support section on their site) and there's a date when measurement was taken. BTW i'm so in love with new version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back