Audeze LCD-X
Sep 27, 2015 at 11:51 PM Post #6,961 of 12,748
I have had the x for a few weeks now and absolutely love them. However now that the pads are starting to break in my left ear is touching the fazors and is extremely uncomfortable. Any fixes?

Edit: feeling around in the pads seems like simply stuffing some cotton between the pads and driver should be just fine but just wondering about any other potential mods.

Sep 28, 2015 at 3:07 AM Post #6,962 of 12,748
I have had the x for a few weeks now and absolutely love them. However now that the pads are starting to break in my left ear is touching the fazors and is extremely uncomfortable. Any fixes?

Edit: feeling around in the pads seems like simply stuffing some cotton between the pads and driver should be just fine but just wondering about any other potential mods.

This may help
http://www.head-fi.org/t/704800/audeze-lcd-x-ear-pads-improvements/15#post_10300028

Sep 28, 2015 at 8:19 AM Post #6,964 of 12,748
  I've had my X's since Thursday and am loving them.  My HP amp is the SPL Phonitor 2 and presently I'm listening to the X's through the 1/4 inch front HP jack.  I'd like to run the X's balanced but the Phonitor requires some special cable termination (dual 3-pin FEMALE XLR plugs).  Before investing bug bucks for these cables I'd like to hear from the X's fan crowd about their favorite balanced cable (and the sonic improvements they make).

Can't tell you about balanced, but you could ask Alex at Wywires to make you such a cable.  I use one SE, and I noticed a direct improvement unveiling the sound.  You could just google Wywires and talk to him.

Sep 28, 2015 at 2:26 PM Post #6,965 of 12,748
Before investing bug bucks for these cables I'd like to hear from the X's fan crowd about their favorite balanced cable (and the sonic improvements they make).

-I've found the stock balanced cable to be perfectly transparent, offering an excellent soundstage, lush midrange and sweet treble and all the other stuff associated with excellent cables.

My one gripe with them is that the sheath is somewhat noisy when you move about (what some call, incorrectly IMHO, microphonics.). I solved that problem by pulling a length of wowen cable wrap over it, securing it with heat shrink tubing at either end. (Total cost: approx. the equivalent of USD7)

Sep 28, 2015 at 3:17 PM Post #6,966 of 12,748

-I've found the stock balanced cable to be perfectly transparent, offering an excellent soundstage, lush midrange and sweet treble and all the other stuff associated with excellent cables.

My one gripe with them is that the sheath is somewhat noisy when you move about (what some call, incorrectly IMHO, microphonics.). I solved that problem by pulling a length of wowen cable wrap over it, securing it with heat shrink tubing at either end. (Total cost: approx. the equivalent of USD7)

I'm one for the stock cable also. I got the X with a custom AOL cable. I didn't like it. Too stiff and rigid. I switched back to the stock cable and didn't hear any sonic differences. However it is nice and flexible.

Nice trick with the cable wrap OddE.

Sep 28, 2015 at 3:51 PM Post #6,967 of 12,748
If I could use the stock cable I sure would but my HP amp (SPL Phonitor 2) requires dual female XLR plugs to run my X's balanced.  I'm a firm believer in balanced cable.  My Senn HD 800's and 650's improved a LOT with balanced cables and I just want that same experience with my X's.

Sep 28, 2015 at 4:01 PM Post #6,968 of 12,748
  If I could use the stock cable I sure would but my HP amp (SPL Phonitor 2) requires dual female XLR plugs to run my X's balanced.  I'm a firm believer in balanced cable.  My Senn HD 800's and 650's improved a LOT with balanced cables and I just want that same experience with my X's.

Could you use this with the stock cable?

https://www.audeze.com/products/accessories/4-pin-dual-3-pin-adaptor-cable

On a few amps you get a power gain from balanced. Other than that I haven't heard a quality gain over single ended. I use 4 pin balanced tho.

Sep 28, 2015 at 4:15 PM Post #6,970 of 12,748
  No, couldn't use this adaptor because I need dual Female plugs.  But thanks for looking into it.

Oh! I just looked up your amp. Interesting design.

Sep 28, 2015 at 4:19 PM Post #6,971 of 12,748

If you already have a good balanced cable with dual 3-pin XLR for your HD800. You can ask the maker of your cable (or somebody else) to make you an adapter on the headphone end of the cable, so you can connect 2-3 different headphones to the same cable.

Something like this (there are other companies that are cheaper):

http://www.doublehelixcables.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products_id=37

Sep 28, 2015 at 4:27 PM Post #6,972 of 12,748

If you already have a good balanced cable with dual 3-pin XLR for your HD800. You can ask the maker of your cable (or somebody else) to make you an adapter on the headphone end of the cable, so you can connect 2-3 different headphones to the same cable.

Something like this (there are other companies that are cheaper):

http://www.doublehelixcables.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products_id=37

Will there be any advantage in me using this product?

With my amp?

I don't have a balanced source or DAC.

So it will be a waste of time don't you think?

At the moment I use 4 pin XLR.

Sep 28, 2015 at 4:50 PM Post #6,973 of 12,748

Will there be any advantage in me using this product?

With my amp?

I don't have a balanced source or DAC.

So it will be a waste of time don't you think?

At the moment I use 4 pin XLR.

If I put it like this; I wouldn’t buy a dual 3-pin XLR -> 4 pin XLR adapter if I was you. I would use a 4 pin XLR cable or get a cable that is dual all the way.

Am no expert on this, but to me it looks like the little improvement you may have by using dual 3-pin XLR out from the amp will diminish then put the wires together again and not to mention the extra connections the signal will need to pass thru. 

Sep 28, 2015 at 5:07 PM Post #6,974 of 12,748

If I put it like this; I wouldn’t buy a dual 3-pin XLR -> 4 pin XLR adapter if I was you. I would use a 4 pin XLR cable or get a cable that is dual all the way.

Am no expert on this, but to me it looks like the little improvement you may have by using dual 3-pin XLR out from the amp will dimension then put the wires together again and not to mention the extra connections the signal will need to pass thru. 

Yeah, You are likely right. It is also what I figured. The reason I have never used them.

I only use XLR as it has a tighter connection over single end. I've never heard a sound quality difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back