Audeze LCD-X
Mar 1, 2015 at 3:33 AM Post #6,018 of 12,748
I just created my very first facebook account ever a few days ago and Audeze was the first Facebook account that I gave a "Like" and this was the first message that I've read there. Not what I expected, of course! 
frown.gif

I really was shocked, especially because I have had really nice contact with the people of that company. Great service, even though I have a pre-owned LCD-X.
Really terrible that something like this happens to good people with an honest business.

Mar 1, 2015 at 4:41 AM Post #6,019 of 12,748

I think it will be difficult for them to get rid of that many audiophile headphones and that they soon will be caught.   

Mar 1, 2015 at 4:56 AM Post #6,020 of 12,748

I think it will be difficult for them to get rid of that many audiophile headphones and that they soon will be caught.   

True; every audiophile will soon know about this, and these cans aren't exactly material that you easilly can sell to young folks who otherwise would buy Beats by Dré.
And even if they would try to sell them for $50 each, people would first google the brand to see reviews of it, and they would quickly read about this theft.

Mar 1, 2015 at 7:19 AM Post #6,021 of 12,748

Unfortunately, it may not be as hard as you think. If thousands of stolen high end cars are sold overseas every year, I don't see why Audeze headphones won't sell. Some Eastern European and Asian markets exist solely to disseminate high end stolen goods. A recent study in Bulgaria found that over 60% of the Mercedes registered in that country were purchased elsewhere and had no import paperwork. I.E. Stolen.

No offense intended to the majority of folks there who are law abiding citizens, but that's the reality of high end product theft. Unfortunately, if that is the case, the LCDs will probably never show up on Amazon or Ebay. Hopefully Audeze has insurance coverage for their losses.

I hope I'm wrong and they catch the thieves and find the stolen headphones but this seems too targeted to be done by someone looking for quick cash.

Mar 1, 2015 at 8:03 AM Post #6,022 of 12,748

Ok let me put it this way. Can many hundreds of Audeze headphones be sold from the back of a truck in Eastern European, Asian or elsewhere without someone knowing of the 10 000 USD reward? I don’t think so.

Can they be sold on forum on the Internet? No I think member of Head-fi, Audeze and their insurance company will monitoring this places. 

Remember it will only take one person to contact the Police or Audeze for them to be caught and the person/vendor don’t even has to do it out of kindness and only for the reward. Money talk!

Stolen cars, it’s different, they can be modified, sold in parts, got new fake papers and there is more money involved and gained per car, much more. One vendor can sell one car and make a good profit, can the same be done for one Audeze LCD X?

Mar 1, 2015 at 8:22 AM Post #6,023 of 12,748

Ok let me put it this way. Can many hundreds of Audeze headphones be sold from the back of a truck in Eastern European, Asian or elsewhere without someone knowing of the 10 000 USD reward? I don’t think so.

Can they be sold on forum on the Internet? No I think member of Head-fi, Audeze and their insurance company will monitoring this places. 

Remember it will only take one person to contact the Police or Audeze for them to be caught and the person/vendor don’t even has to do it out of kindness and only for the reward. Money talk!

Stolen cars, it’s different, they can be modified, sold in parts, got new fake papers and there is more money involved and gained per car, much more. One vendor can sell one car and make a good profit, can the same be done for one Audeze LCD X?

lol. audeze headphones have a sticker for their serial number. super easy to just remove them or simply print out new stickers.

those headphones are long gone if the thieves aren't idiots. they obviously aren't going to sell it on head-fi where audeze has a presence.

sucks for audeze, but the reality of the situation is if someone took the time to steal $250k worth of stuff, they probably realize the severity of their crime & won't be doing something stupid. you don't accidentally walk off with $250k of stolen goods. obviously, a premeditated crime and they probably already had a buyer lined up for it. no one wastes time stealing stuff they can't convert into cash.

hope audeze recovers their stuff, but honestly, probably a lost cause.

Mar 1, 2015 at 8:53 AM Post #6,024 of 12,748

Sorry to be realistic, but as M4M describes above, there are highly organized criminal organizations that already have distribution channels set up. Just another example where 98% of the decent people suffer because of a relatively small group who break the law.

Hope these guys get caught, but this doesn't look like a couple of knuckleheads looking for quick cash.

Mar 1, 2015 at 10:02 AM Post #6,026 of 12,748

What kind of distribution channels is there to sell high dollar Audiophile headphones other than stores and hifi forums? Audeze headphones is on a super niche market with low demand and people that most probably will check everything carefully before buying.

Sure maybe I’m unrealistic and there is a big marketplace and buyer in some “obscure foreign country” for them that neither Audeze nor the insurance company can monitor, I just hope not!

Mar 1, 2015 at 11:01 AM Post #6,028 of 12,748

What kind of distribution channels is there to sell high dollar Audiophile headphones other than stores and hifi forums? Audeze headphones is on a super niche market with low demand and people that most probably will check everything carefully before buying.

Sure maybe I’m unrealistic and there is a big marketplace and buyer in some “obscure foreign country” for them that neither Audeze nor the insurance company can monitor, I just hope not!

The black market is a large and ugly place.  Both physically and on line.  Silk Road is gone, but others like it exist.  People buying stolen Audeze product from these sources aren't necessarily buying based on specific desire for an LCD3, they are buying because they know they can get a $2000 headphone for, say $500.  Human nature takes over - some because they want a status symbol, some because they actually may covet the product.

I'm not advocating these, nor have I ever purchased this way, but they do exist.  How do you think unique stolen artwork from famous artists get sold?

Anyway, enough said on that topic - I hope I'm wrong and some moron with a van gets pulled over with the stolen goods and Audeze recovers their property.

Mar 1, 2015 at 11:10 AM Post #6,029 of 12,748
but what if they'll sell those at say 1450usd for the LCD3 or 1250usd for the LCDX?
that's not too suspicious..

this is the importance of Serial Numbers..
if only Audeze could officially reveal all the serials stolen then that's the time we can be alarmed of the item sold...

Mar 1, 2015 at 11:41 AM Post #6,030 of 12,748

this is the importance of Serial Numbers..
if only Audeze could officially reveal all the serials stolen then that's the time we can be alarmed of the item sold...

This makes sense. .......There could be another angle though...the guys breaking in were hoping to get some other "high end" electronic equipment (if it was not an inside job)...imagine their mortification if they see they "only" have headphones? Naturally I could be wrong about this..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back