Audeze LCD-X
Feb 27, 2015 at 6:45 PM Post #5,986 of 12,748

I tied the BHA-1 with my LCD-X's and I thought it wasn't the best match--some grain and harshness in the upper midrange. Not terrible, but there are many better choices for the LCD-X.

Since I like the tube amp sound, I don't know if I should find a tube amp instead, but I heard X sounds better with SS amps. The problem is there's not much places for me to try most of the high end amps.

Feb 27, 2015 at 7:16 PM Post #5,987 of 12,748
  Since I like the tube amp sound, I don't know if I should find a tube amp instead, but I heard X sounds better with SS amps. The problem is there's not much places for me to try most of the high end amps.

I think that if you like tube amp sound then you should keep an eye out for tube amps. Just don't use high impedance OTL designs that aren't meant to be used with LCD-X. I could imagine a tube amp sounding awesome with the LCD-X. 

Feb 27, 2015 at 8:54 PM Post #5,989 of 12,748
If you are referring to the NFB-6, the answer is fantastic. The soundstage I get from my LCD-X is as wide as my T1! 

I can't wait to hook it up to my NFB 1.32 using a balanced ACSS cable. 

I tried it so far with SA 1.32 with Black Cat Lectraline silver RCAs. Sounds awesome. 

If I use copper cables I get some nice warmth but I lose a tiny tiny bit of detail. The details are there but not as noticeable as with the silver. I decided to stick to silver. 

Feb 27, 2015 at 9:07 PM Post #5,990 of 12,748
  If you are referring to the NFB-6, the answer is fantastic. The soundstage I get from my LCD-X is as wide as my T1! 

I can't wait to hook it up to my NFB 1.32 using a balanced ACSS cable. 

I tried it so far with SA 1.32 with Black Cat Lectraline silver RCAs. Sounds awesome. 

If I use copper cables I get some nice warmth but I lose a tiny tiny bit of detail. The details are there but not as noticeable as with the silver. I decided to stick to silver. 

It looks like a killer at that price. I may pick one up some day. I am not a cable believer, yet, so I will wait until I find my favorite amp. 

Feb 27, 2015 at 9:14 PM Post #5,991 of 12,748
I find that cables are for fine tuning and are arguably not worth the price you pay for the 1-2% increase in "performance". 

However, I tend not to believe other people's theories. Just try for yourself when you have the chance. 

To actually tell the difference in cables, it's easier when you have decent gear. 

Having said that I could tell the difference between Monster cables and cheap RCAs with ease even as a beginner using Schiit Modi. I thought it was my mind playing tricks on me so I did an A-B test on a song I knew and sure enough. Clear as day. 

Nowadays that Monster cable is stowed away collecting dust as I've moved on to much better stuff. However, I recommend finding cables of good value and not going all out. At least not until curiosity gets the better of you or you've maxed out your system. 

The best value RCAs I've had were Neotech NEI 3003/3004 (purchased half price), Wireworld Oasis 6 (purchased at half price) and to a lesser extend Audioquest Big Sur (also purchased at half price). All are OCC copper. 

Feb 27, 2015 at 9:26 PM Post #5,992 of 12,748
  I find that cables are for fine tuning and are arguably not worth the price you pay for the 1-2% increase in "performance". 

However, I tend not to believe other people's theories. Just try for yourself when you have the chance. 

To actually tell the difference in cables, it's easier when you have decent gear. 

Having said that I could tell the difference between Monster cables and cheap RCAs with ease even as a beginner using Schiit Modi. I thought it was my mind playing tricks on me so I did an A-B test on a song I knew and sure enough. Clear as day. 

Nowadays that Monster cable is stowed away collecting dust as I've moved on to much better stuff. However, I recommend finding cables of good value and not going all out. At least not until curiosity gets the better of you or you've maxed out your system. 

The best value RCAs I've had were Neotech NEI 3003/3004 (purchased half price), Wireworld Oasis 6 (purchased at half price) and to a lesser extend Audioquest Big Sur (also purchased at half price). All are OCC copper. 

Thanks for the information! I really think the lcd-x is a fantastic headphone and what to drive its potential but don't want to turn my hobby into collecting gears. I think Head-Fiers should spend more time talking about the music and the enjoyment our phone brought us instead of being people like me asking upgrade questions. Just some thought.

Feb 27, 2015 at 9:39 PM Post #5,993 of 12,748
  Thanks for the information! I really think the lcd-x is a fantastic headphone and what to drive its potential but don't want to turn my hobby into collecting gears. I think Head-Fiers should spend more time talking about the music and the enjoyment our phone brought us instead of being people like me asking upgrade questions. Just some thought.

Focusing on the music is fantastic advice as many of us get way too caught up in the gear. 

However in the words of Darth Vader: "It is... too late for me... son"     
darthsmile.gif

Feb 27, 2015 at 10:41 PM Post #5,994 of 12,748

I've listened to the LCD-X on a lot of tube and solid state amps and I wouldn't say one type of amp is better. Have you set a budget?

Feb 28, 2015 at 5:19 PM Post #5,996 of 12,748
Just found out Audeze was robbed last night, 250000$ of products were stolen:frown: I hope the authorities catch these thieves.

Feb 28, 2015 at 5:23 PM Post #5,997 of 12,748
$250,000?! Holy cow, that's like 1000 LCD-2s being stolen. That must be absolutely devastating to a smaller boutique headphone maker like Audeze. Surely they must have some kind of surveillance equipment to help local authorities catch whoever did this

Feb 28, 2015 at 5:42 PM Post #5,998 of 12,748
$250,000?! Holy cow, that's like 1000 LCD-2s being stolen. That must be absolutely devastating to a smaller boutique headphone maker like Audeze. Surely they must have some kind of surveillance equipment to help local authorities catch whoever did this

Hi everyone, here's the announcement:

Last night, Februrary 28th, there was a break-in and robbery at Audeze. About $250,000 of headphones were stolen. We're a relatively small company and this is a real blow. Audeze asks everyone to let us know if offered LCD headphones at a deal that’s too good to be true. You should be highly suspicious if anyone other than an Authorized Audeze dealer offers you our headphones for sale at a reduced price. We don't allow our dealers to sell via Amazon, eBay, Craigslist etc., so deals on these sites should be carefully researched before purchase. You should also be very concerned if their headphones do not have a serial number, or the seller refuses to give you the serial number before purchase. All Audeze headphones have a serial number on the inside of the adjusting block. We'll soon publish a list of all stolen products’ serial numbers. In addition, Audeze is offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the thieves. If you have any information or questions, please write to: support@audeze.com. While it does not appear any EL-8s were stolen (they were in a different area of our warehouse), due to the police investigation and general disruption, you should expect a few days’ delay in EL-8 shipments.
Thanks, The Audeze Team

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Feb 28, 2015 at 5:53 PM Post #5,999 of 12,748
  Hi everyone, here's the announcement:

Last night, Februrary 28th, there was a break-in and robbery at Audeze. About $250,000 of headphones were stolen. We're a relatively small company and this is a real blow. Audeze asks everyone to let us know if offered LCD headphones at a deal that’s too good to be true. You should be highly suspicious if anyone other than an Authorized Audeze dealer offers you our headphones for sale at a reduced price. We don't allow our dealers to sell via Amazon, eBay, Craigslist etc., so deals on these sites should be carefully researched before purchase. You should also be very concerned if their headphones do not have a serial number, or the seller refuses to give you the serial number before purchase. All Audeze headphones have a serial number on the inside of the adjusting block. We'll soon publish a list of all stolen products’ serial numbers. In addition, Audeze is offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the thieves. If you have any information or questions, please write to: support@audeze.com. While it does not appear any EL-8s were stolen (they were in a different area of our warehouse), due to the police investigation and general disruption, you should expect a few days’ delay in EL-8 shipments.
Thanks, The Audeze Team

Damn, so sorry to hear that.  Hopefully, the proper authorities will be able to catch these crooks.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back