Audeze LCD-X
Feb 25, 2015 at 6:58 PM Post #5,956 of 12,748
  Hi all,

I auditioned these today for around 3 hours. I've been waiting to hear them for months. 

I'll write a more in depth review soon but i just wanted to say they are spectacular and do incredibly well with ALL genres.

I had almost every headphone at my disposal (ortho's, dynamics, electrostatics) and 6 hours to play with them, and these stood out the most. They were everything I hoped they would be.

What are "these"? At least list them! :)

Feb 25, 2015 at 7:33 PM Post #5,957 of 12,748

What are "these"? At least list them! :)

Sorry I meant the x's.

The ones I listened to:

gs1000e's
ps1000e's
he 560
he 6
Stax sr 009/507
lcd 3 f
lcd 2
lcd xc
hd800

I recently owned the hd800's but they had an issue with the finish and instead of replacement I decided to get a refund as I knew I would be going to this place (hifi lounge in the uk)

I have every intention of getting the 800's again and can see them being part of my end-game for headphones for a while. The other part will be the x's - I'm just about convinced of that - I can't stop thinking about them.

Feb 25, 2015 at 8:05 PM Post #5,958 of 12,748

Will be interested to hear your contrast of the X and HD800.  I own them both, and love them both but for different reasons.
Welcome to the X club...enjoy the music!

Cheers,
RCBinTN

As said in my previous comment I owned the hd800's and plan to get them again before the year is out. Although I had them for a month I listened to them almost every day.

Quick comparison between the 800's and x's (my dream duo at the minute)

Soundstage - 800's have the width and depth and excel in this department, but the x's do a much better job than expected and don't seem to exaggerate distance and holographic image a song can produce. They are extremely satisfying.

Imaging - placement of instruments goes to 800's with the x's close behind on many but not all genres i listened to.

Instrument separation - 800's again but with x's this department scoring seemed very close at times.

treble - I preferred the x's - detailed but smooth and never ever fatiguing. the 800's of course have great treble but a little cold at times.

Bass - while the 800's have a very underrated bass, the x's bass is phenomenal. Maybe too thick for the odd song and I'm talking no more than 2 songs (not genre) but for the most part just amazing, especially with drum and bass - jesus they were a dream.

mids- rated the same for different reasons - sorry to be vague but I have a hard time articulating this.

decay/speed - both are fantastic but the x's don't miss a trick and seem to be faster than the 800's 

Comfort - This is a hard one for me. I find the 800's comfortable but after a couple of hours the headband becomes a little too present on the top of my head.
The x's surprised me. They weigh a lot as people said but the comfort was great, despite what most say (as it was with the 3's - i found them way more comfortable than what i expected given the negatives people say). The weight is distributed perfectly.
What I did notice after the long session of leaning over looking at my laptop that the weight of the x's had taken it's tole. This is by no means a deal breaker - all I had to do was sit up straight.

Genres (in short and based on my library)

Jazz - 800's do great as you all know, but enjoyment wise the x's were on par - technically, i actually preferred certain aspects such as trumpets and cymbals and the found the soundstage more than adequate on the x's

classical - and this one did shock me - i preferred the x's with violin based performances, much more, and overall i could happily listen to classical with the x's (very happily). the 800's of course do great job on a whole with classical and i don't own a high quality classical piece that the 800's don't make sublime.

rock - x's and it's not even close.

edm/drum and bass/ pop - x's and it's not even close. I dream of headphones sounding this good with drum and bass. It's like the 800's had sex with the 650's and made warrior babies and then they were adopted by Audeze.

Hip hop - x's and it's not even close

Reggae - x's and it's fairly close :)

On whole I enjoyed the x's more than the 800's with many more types of music.

I believe I will eventually own both to cover all bases, and truly believe the 800's are the king of jazz and classical, but my god do the x's just sound great with everything

Wrote this quick guys so please be kind
gs1000.gif
 it's my birthday

Feb 25, 2015 at 9:56 PM Post #5,959 of 12,748

As said in my previous comment I owned the hd800's and plan to get them again before the year is out. Although I had them for a month I listened to them almost every day.

Soundstage - 800's have the width and depth and excel in this department, but the x's do a much better job than expected and don't seem to exaggerate distance and holographic image a song can produce. They are extremely satisfying.

Imaging - placement of instruments goes to 800's with the x's close behind on many but not all genres i listened to.

Instrument separation - 800's again but with x's this department scoring seemed very close at times.

treble - I preferred the x's - detailed but smooth and never ever fatiguing. the 800's of course have great treble but a little cold at times.

Bass - while the 800's have a very underrated bass, the x's bass is phenomenal. Maybe too think for the odd song (not genre) but for the most part just amazing, especially with drum and bass - jesus they were a dream.

mids- rated the same for different reasons - sorry to be vague but I have a hard time articulating this.

decay/speed - both are fantastic but the x's don't miss a trick and seem to be faster than the 800's 

Comfort - This is a hard one for me. I find the 800's comfortable but after a couple of hours the headband becomes a little too present on the top of my head.
The x's surprised me. They weigh a lot as people said but the comfort was great, despite what most say (as it was with the 3's - i found them way more comfortable than what i expected given the negatives people say). The weight is distributed perfectly.
What I did notice after the long session of leaning over looking at my laptop that the weight of the x's had taken it's tole. This is by no means a deal breaker - all I had to do was sit up straight.

Jazz - 800's do great as you all know, but enjoyment wise the x's were on par - technically, i actually preferred certain aspects such as trumpets and cymbals and the found the soundstage more than adequate on the x's

classical - and this one did shock me - i preferred the x's with violin based performances, much more, and overall i could happily listen to classical with the x's (very happily). the 800's of course do great job on a whole with classical and i don't own a high quality classical piece that the 800's don't make sublime.

edm/drum and bass/ pop - x's and it's not even close. I dream of headphones sounding this good with drum and bass. It's like the 800's had sex with the 650's and made warrior babies and then they were adopted by Audeze.

Reggae - x's and it's not even close

I believe I will eventually own both to cover all bases, and truly believe the 800's are the king of jazz and classical, but my god do the x's just sound great with everything

gs1000.gif
 it's my birthday

Thank you for sharing your experience and knowledge with us. Happy birthday! I celebrated mine last week and bought a pair of HD800 as gift to myself.

Like you, I was stunned when classical music sounds overall "better" (or tailored to my taste) on LCD-X&XC than HD800. I knew the Audeze's have been criticized for less than ideal imaging and congested sound-stage, and HD800 is quite the reverse. So recently I thought HD800 would supplement my other headphones in these regards.

IMHO the classical music is the ONLY area HD800 excels at, but I find the 800's presentation brutally evened (if not beaten) by my two X's in both musicality and realism. The tones of instruments on XC and X are simply more natural and transparent to me. I still want to appreciate the improved definition and soundstage on HD800 very much, however I just can't - sure the HD800 easily delivers a sonorous and expansive sound signature, it feels artificial and UNRELENTING from time to time. And where's the resonance? It's often too "accurate", too fast. How about enlightening moments? No, everything sounds so clean, almost sterile, those filthy emotional sparkles would be outrageous in this scenario.

Next week I will have my HD800 returned. The main reason behind this return is the excessive treble which HURTS my ears. Tones are too metallic, also the horrifying sibilance kills most vocal tracks. I'm amazed by how good and how bad the HD800 is - marvelous resolution, yet abysmal built-in tonality.

wink_face.gif
My apologies to the kind people in this thread who are still enjoying the sound of HD800. I understand that HD800 need to work with specific tube amps to sound great while achieving better tonal balance, and when driven from a neutral system, the HD800 will fail to impress. 

Feb 25, 2015 at 11:01 PM Post #5,960 of 12,748
  Thank you for sharing your experience and knowledge with us. Happy birthday! I celebrated mine last week and bought a pair of HD800 as gift to myself.

Like you, I was stunned when classical music sounds overall "better" (or tailored to my taste) on LCD-X&XC than HD800. I knew the Audeze's have been criticized for less than ideal imaging and congested sound-stage, and HD800 is quite the reverse. So recently I thought HD800 would supplement my other headphones in these regards.

IMHO the classical music is the ONLY area HD800 excels at, but I find the 800's presentation brutally evened (if not beaten) by my two X's in both musicality and realism. The tones of instruments on XC and X are simply more natural and transparent to me. I still want to appreciate the improved definition and soundstage on HD800 very much, however I just can't - sure the HD800 easily delivers a sonorous and expansive sound signature, it feels artificial and UNRELENTING from time to time. And where's the resonance? It's often too "accurate", too fast. How about enlightening moments? No, everything sounds so clean, almost sterile, those filthy emotional sparkles would be outrageous in this scenario.

Next week I will have my HD800 returned. The main reason behind this return is the excessive treble which HURTS my ears. Tones are too metallic, also the horrifying sibilance kills most vocal tracks. I'm amazed by how good and how bad the HD800 is - marvelous resolution, yet abysmal built-in tonality.

wink_face.gif
My apologies to the kind people in this thread who are still enjoying the sound of HD800. I understand that HD800 need to work with specific tube amps to sound great while achieving better tonal balance, and when driven from a neutral system, the HD800 will fail to impress. 

I agree with a lot you said AND the way you said it. This is so difficult.

Pay day is Friday. Do I get 800's again and wait for the x's? Simply to replay binaural tracks and be amazed, or listen to a few opera songs? (I'm exaggerating a little)

I think I'll be doing myself a huge disservice If I do.

How do you find the weight? Adapted over time or do you have short listening sessions?

Feb 26, 2015 at 1:16 AM Post #5,963 of 12,748
I joined the LCD-X club yesterday and absolutely adore these phones. Best pair of headphones I've ever heard, much less owned. It's the first time that I've ever agreed with the all-too-common saying about how a set of headphones sound like an excellent high-end set of speakers.

My one concern is comfort. I have no problems with the headband causing hotspots, but instead the weight is rather straining on my neck and the clamping force is a bit high around my ears resulting in a strangely sore jaw. I know the clamping force will ease up with more use, but will my neck get used to the weight? Have other people found that they get more used to the heft of the LCD-X over time? I'm just concerned as I spend a lot of time in front of my computer with headphones on, and as I'm a taller guy, I typically find a more leaning-back position comfortable in my desk chair.

Feb 26, 2015 at 2:01 AM Post #5,965 of 12,748
I'm currently using the LCD-X's as my main headphones with the Gustard X12 DAC and H10 amp. The sound is absolutely phenomenal.

I've never liked the idea of switching out headphones for different genres (mostly because I play a playlist in foobar2000 and set it to shuffle), so I am SO GLAD that I've found LCD-X's.

These absolutely slay it with every genre that I listen to (which is primarily electronic music these days, but I legitimately listen to almost every genre).

As some of you guys have said already, listening to drum & bass on the X's can be an amazing experience. I totally agree, and I reckon you guys should check out music by the guys who use the LCD-X's themselves during production - their tracks are outstanding on the X's as well.

https://twitter.com/audeze/lists/ambassadors/members (DnB fans will see MANY familiar names)
https://www.pinterest.com/audeze/audeze-ambassadors/

Credit to the guys at Audeze for creating these masterpieces of sound
L3000.gif

I joined the LCD-X club yesterday and absolutely adore these phones. Best pair of headphones I've ever heard, much less owned. It's the first time that I've ever agreed with the all-too-common saying about how a set of headphones sound like an excellent high-end set of speakers.

My one concern is comfort. I have no problems with the headband causing hotspots, but instead the weight is rather straining on my neck and the clamping force is a bit high around my ears resulting in a strangely sore jaw. I know the clamping force will ease up with more use, but will my neck get used to the weight? Have other people found that they get more used to the heft of the LCD-X over time? I'm just concerned as I spend a lot of time in front of my computer with headphones on, and as I'm a taller guy, I typically find a more leaning-back position comfortable in my desk chair.

Comfort will improve as you use them, for sure. They're never going to be the most comfortable headphones in the world for you, but unless you're an outlier you're going to be able to wear them for a few hours at a time with no issue.

@potkettleblack How would you compare LCD-X with LCD-3F and LCD-2F?

Never heard the LCD-3's or LCD-3F's, but I own the X's and 2F's.

2F's are excellent headphones in their own right, too. They're smoother and more forgiving than the X's. They have this fantastic smooth/liquid quality in the mids that make vocals sound better. The vocals sound like they're being projected from out in front of you. The soundstage is on the smaller, more intimate side (I don't view this as necessarily a negative, just a different sized soundstage that works better for some music). Imaging is excellent - you can hear where instruments are placed precisely around the soundstage. Bass hits low and with authority. Treble is smoooooooth and unfatiguing.

I think the 2F's are more enjoyable to listen to for music that has an emphasis on vocals, or if the recording quality of the track isn't quite as good (the 2F's make these tracks enjoyable by smoothing over some flaws). The 2F's offer a different presentation of the music to the listener compared to the X's - a smoother, more forgiving, more intimate sound. This can make lesser recordings sound better, but it also means better quality recordings can't excel quite as much. This is only relative to the LCD-X's, though, the 2F's still sound brilliant on their own.

The LCD-X's offer more extended treble. It has a wider, more holographic soundstage. Vocals aren't as smooth or as emphasised (although if the vocals in the track are recorded well, they will still sound amazing on the X's). Bass has a little bit more presence. Imaging is improved - it's much easier to hear where all the elements in the song are placed, also because the soundstage is bigger. There is more air between sounds. These qualities make electronic music (and many other recordings) sound significantly better on the X's than on the 2F's. These qualities also make the X's sound "immediately" better - I had a few friends switch between the LCD-2's and LCD-X's and everyone immediately said they preferred the wider/more holographic sound of the X's. The strengths of the 2F's come through with more extended listening, though.

X's are definitely better headphones. They offer you a truer representation of what's on the record. Sometimes a smoother, more intimate presentation sounds better, though. If I had never heard the LCD-X's, I would still be VERY happy with the 2F's :).

Feb 26, 2015 at 3:29 AM Post #5,966 of 12,748
Comparing the Sennheiser to the Audez'e, I have found those differences (of course, they are all subjective and that's how I/my ears perceive both headphones):

The LCD-X does still sound quite good with bad and old recordings whethe HD800 is way less forgiving.
While Sennheiser has a very wide soundstage, the LCD-X's is much smaller but has got more depth and overall a better 3-dimensional presentation.
Instrument placement, separation and layering is definitely better on the HD800.
The Sennheiser does an awesome job when it is about to presenting empty space between instruments - if there an instrument on the far left, one in the center and five at the righthand side, the empty space between the instrument on the far left and the one in the center is reproduced. The Audez'e struggles at this point.
The LCD-X is slightly better in revealing micro details which really surprised me due to the fact that bad recordings don't sound like crap - that's what I love about the LCD-X (being a very high resolving headphone that does not want to be analytical and unforgiving).

Feb 26, 2015 at 6:07 AM Post #5,967 of 12,748
@Arnotts Thank you so much! That's exactly why I'm holding onto LCD-2f. For its smooth vocal/mids and intimate soundstage.

I'm hoping LCD-X and LCD-3f have better imaging and a subtle wider soundstage. For LCD-3f to retain if not improve its smooth vocal/mids.

Many have said LCD-X deviates from Audeze's lush signature, what do you think?

Feb 26, 2015 at 7:54 AM Post #5,968 of 12,748
  @Arnotts Thank you so much! That's exactly why I'm holding onto LCD-2f. For its smooth vocal/mids and intimate soundstage.

I'm hoping LCD-X and LCD-3f have better imaging and a subtle wider soundstage. For LCD-3f to retain if not improve its smooth vocal/mids.

Many have said LCD-X deviates from Audeze's lush signature, what do you think?

I definitely wouldn't call either headphones "bright" - especially from the Gustard H10 amp. The LCD-2F's have a smoother, less extended treble compared to the LCD-X's, though. But I still wouldn't call the 2F's warm. I'm not too sure what lush means, but I'm guessing it's similar to warm/smooth? The X's aren't quite as smooth as the 2F's (but they're still smooth relative to other headphones like Q701's, DT880's) in the mids/treble. The X's are more resolving, but they're still great to listen to for pretty much EVERY genre that I've tried with it.

The X's are better headphones imo. They sound better for MORE genres compared to the 2F's. The 2F's sound better for some genres/tracks because they have that intimate/smooth sound. Vocals tend to sound more enticing/beautiful/appealing because of that smoothness and those mids. That seems to be the headphones adding in their own bit of coloration to the sound, though.

I think the X's beat out the 2F's in more ways than the 2F's beat out the X's. It makes the X's work for a much wider variety of music, as well as making them better for mixing/mastering/producing (which is what I got them for).

So to ultimately answer your question (even though I've never heard the older Audeze revisions, which are said to truly have the "lush" sound), I would consider the 2F's as slightly more "lush" than the X's. The X's are a bigger departure away from that original LCD-2.1 sound signature compared to the 2F's.

Feb 26, 2015 at 11:51 AM Post #5,969 of 12,748
  @potkettleblack How would you compare LCD-X with LCD-3F and LCD-2F?

I see a lot of your questions are being answered.

For what it's worth the 3's and X's clearly trump the 2f's to my ears.

Between the 3's and X's is a tough one - I when I say tough I mean which is a ''better headphone''. They sound very different to me but on a whole I would pick the X's every time. 

What kind of music do you like?

Feb 26, 2015 at 6:48 PM Post #5,970 of 12,748

Bass - while the 800's have a very underrated bass, the x's bass is phenomenal. Maybe too thick for the odd song and I'm talking no more than 2 songs (not genre) but for the most part just amazing, especially with drum and bass - jesus they were a dream.

Hip hop - x's and it's not even close

Reggae - x's and it's fairly close :)

gs1000.gif
 it's my birthday

Thanks for your comparison of the LCD-X and HD800.  I agree with all your points.  Both high-end HP's and have their special talents.

I just finished a week listening to only the HD800 on classical / piano / acoustic / jazz.  The sound is great - very detailed and with decent bass / low mid response.  I hear things in the music with the HD800 that I've never heard before (both good, and bad).

Then I switched today back to the LCD-X and my rock / blues music.  Well, that sounds great!  The X welcome you back with exceptional bass and a warm sound compared to the HD800.  I know people refer to the X as "reference" sound, but compared to the HD800 it's a warm, inviting sound that pulls you deeply inside.  And of course, the detail is super.

BTW, Happy Birthday.
Cheers,
RCBinTN

Users who are viewing this thread

Back