Audeze LCD-X
Jun 25, 2014 at 2:56 AM Post #4,411 of 12,748

I was talking with a friend about it yesterday and I find it incredibly difficult to determine the worth of the gear and the hobby.  Music keeps me sane most days.  I'm not sure a price can really be put on that.  I only regret not getting into it sooner.

-Agreed. Or, as I say to a co-worker who is sympathetic to the cause, but not yet aboard - a good pair of headphones (or lenses, in the case of my other (potentially) expensive hobby) is probably the investment which will give you the best bang/buck ratio enjoyment-wise.

I fully expect to enjoy my LCD-X for at least a decade; thus, I will get to enjoy them for significantly less than a dollar an hour as long as I can devote some time to use them - granted, I'll have to spend some $$$ on an amp and some source material, too - but head-fi is (well, can be) pretty cheap entertainment once the initial investment is done.

Jun 25, 2014 at 10:20 AM Post #4,412 of 12,748

This is why I bought headfi gear, rather than replacing my car. Screw the car - I'll happily drive my craptastic 2001 Subaru for a another year or two to enjoy music like this.
dt880smile.png

Amen!  I just can't put these things down.  I honestly had no idea what I was getting myself into.  I don't have any audiophile friends or relatives, though I may have converted a coworker.  I am sure if you spend thousands more than this you can get something even nicer, but these things are already way beyond my imagination and crush any expectations I had.

My only quibble thus far is that un-amped, the low end bass isn't quite as powerful as I'd like it to be.  Though it did get a rather noticeable boost with my wimpy FiiO E7.  It's probably not even worth my breath- I'm sure Mjolnir will significantly change things.  Tomorrow... 
cool.gif

I think I'm going to get sick after the FedEx truck comes in the morning... yeah, sick... 
devil_face.gif

I was talking with a friend about it yesterday and I find it incredibly difficult to determine the worth of the gear and the hobby.  Music keeps me sane most days.  I'm not sure a price can really be put on that.  I only regret not getting into it sooner.

PLEASE provide some feedback on how the X sound with the Mjolnir! I am on the ragged edge of trading in my LCD3(C) for the X if for no other reason than to satisfy my curiosity about more air, sound stage, attack, and neutrality than my LCD3 provide. Not that they don't sound good (they sound great) but I just think they could be better. The other option is sending them in to get fazored... Would greatly appreciate some info on how the X work with the Mjolnir.

Jun 25, 2014 at 10:24 AM Post #4,413 of 12,748
Also how much burn-in seems to be requisite... I have well over a thousand hours on my LCD3 (listen while trading every day so the hours pile on) and wondering if all X phones require a lot of burn-in as a rule or is that just some do / some don't?

Jun 25, 2014 at 10:26 AM Post #4,414 of 12,748
PLEASE provide some feedback on how the X sound with the Mjolnir! I am on the ragged edge of trading in my LCD3(C) for the X if for no other reason than to satisfy my curiosity about more air, sound stage, attack, and neutrality than my LCD3 provide. Not that they don't sound good (they sound great) but I just think they could be better. The other option is sending them in to get fazored... Would greatly appreciate some info on how the X work with the Mjolnir.

I'll be sure to post my impressions in a few days after stuff has broken in a little.  I don't really have anything else to compare it to at the moment, aside from my memory of how my HD650 Bifrost/Lyr combo sounded and the LCD-X unamped.

It is torture sitting here at work next to a box of schiit.

Jun 25, 2014 at 10:38 AM Post #4,415 of 12,748
I am having problems with my new Xs. Something is wrong with either the headband or the earpads that keeps pulling the right earpad aschew so it won't rest on my head properly, thereby creating a noticeable gap between the ear and pad. The left earpad rests just fine. I did not have this problem at all with the demo units I had on my head for a week. Anyone else experience this? I'm about to call audeze

Jun 25, 2014 at 10:52 AM Post #4,416 of 12,748
I am having problems with my new Xs. Something is wrong with either the headband or the earpads that keeps pulling the right earpad aschew so it won't rest on my head properly, thereby creating a noticeable gap between the ear and pad. The left earpad rests just fine. I did not have this problem at all with the demo units I had on my head for a week. Anyone else experience this? I'm about to call audeze

I think the alignment of the ear piece with the head band is not correct.  Try loosing the screw at the bottom of the pillar and turn the ear piece a bit and re-tighten the screw.  Don't worry it will not damage the ear piece, it is a very simple job.

Jun 25, 2014 at 10:55 AM Post #4,417 of 12,748

This is why I bought headfi gear, rather than replacing my car. Screw the car - I'll happily drive my craptastic 2001 Subaru for a another year or two to enjoy music like this.
dt880smile.png

Amen!  I just can't put these things down.  I honestly had no idea what I was getting myself into.  I don't have any audiophile friends or relatives, though I may have converted a coworker.  I am sure if you spend thousands more than this you can get something even nicer, but these things are already way beyond my imagination and crush any expectations I had.

My only quibble thus far is that un-amped, the low end bass isn't quite as powerful as I'd like it to be.  Though it did get a rather noticeable boost with my wimpy FiiO E7.  It's probably not even worth my breath- I'm sure Mjolnir will significantly change things.  Tomorrow... 
cool.gif

I think I'm going to get sick after the FedEx truck comes in the morning... yeah, sick... 
devil_face.gif

I consider the Mjolnir a perfect match for the LCD-3s because it thins out the mids a bit and does a good job articulating the treble. I've heard the LCD-3s with more neutral amps and for my personal taste--the mids start to get too thick and the treble sounds recessed. The LCD-Xs don't have the mid-centric signature of the LCD-3s, and have very well-articulated highs out of the box. The LCD-X's are very detailed, airy, and have a tremendous soundstage with the Mjolnir, but the mids sound too lean to me. I reluctantly sold my Mjolnir after hearing other amps with great detail and soundstage, but richer mids, with the LCD-Xs.

Jun 25, 2014 at 10:56 AM Post #4,418 of 12,748

I purchased my Xs a few months ago and have had the (expensive) opportunity to own three separate amps for them: the mjolnir, the audio gd phoenix, and the bryston bha-1.

First, a little bit of back story. I demo'd a pair at Hanson Audio in Dayton, OH. I was able to demo the LCD-Xs, 2s, 3s, as well as the HD800s and some Grados. I went in thinking I would get the 2s. At first I hooked up my Fiio X3 with all FLAC files to one of their smaller amps (I forget what it was). I listened to the 2s and was surprised at how veiled they sounded. Next I went to the 3s just so that I could honestly say that I demo'd them. I was again surprised to find that they didn't sound that great. Finally, I moved to the Xs. They were very good - much, much better than the 2s or 3s. I started to wonder why and noticed that the amp I was using seemed a bit puny. So I asked if I could unplug some of the inputs into the Bryston BHA-1 they had nearby. The salesman agreed and after letting it warm up during a nice conversation, I switched the Fiio into that. Let me say that the difference was extreme. I found that the LCD2s and 3s improved immensely. The 3s sounded amazing. They really needed the extra power to reach their full potential. At that point I was leaning heavily toward the 3s... until I swapped back to the Xs. I loved the extra air to the Xs and their more neutral sound.

Sorry for the rambling. Anyway, I ended up with the Xs. I already had a mjolnir at home that I bought only a week before. When the Xs arrived in the mail I hooked them up to the mjolnir and my fiio, but was a little disappointed in the sound - it wasn't quite what I remembered. I thought this might be due to burn-in, so I let them play for a few days. I came back and listened again and was still a bit disappointed as I remembered them sounding better in the store. I then saw an ad on the classifieds for the Audio GD Phoenix. I decided to buy it since it offers a much larger array of input/output options. A few days later I had the Phoenix to compare the mjolnir to. I actually found them to be somewhat similar. The Phoenix is a bit darker (just a tad), but nothing else really stood out. I was hoping the get the soundstage and imaging that I remembered when I first demo'd the Xs.

So just another few weeks later I saw another classified for the Bryston BHA-1 and, of course, jumped on it - desperately hoping that I could sell off the mjolnir. Only a few days later I had the BHA at home and hooked up to the same setup. I was relieved when I heard the Xs through it - it was exactly what I remembered. The soundstage was bigger, the imaging was better, and the music just sounded a bit more natural. I'm pretty bad with 'audiophile' descriptions. I won't say that the mids were luscious or chocolately or anything like that, but I can say that I found myself lost in the music again with the BHA.

Having said all this, all three of these amps are very good. I'm being a bit nit-picky with any differences as they are somewhat subtle. Also, I'm only speaking to my personal preferences. But I can say that I have also listened to the Xs straight out of my iPod, X3, and out of the X3/E12 and there is a noticeable improvement compared to the more powerful amps described above. So I think the general trend is that even though the Xs are efficient, they still love more power. Sure you can look good in a Ferrari driving down the highway, but it's not until you take it onto a racetrack that you really get to enjoy it. Same with the Xs and a powerful amp.

In short (just my opinion, mind you):

Mjolnir --> Phoenix (so many inputs/outputs) --> BHA

(I'm currently selling my like-new Mjolnir on the classifieds if anyone is interested, btw
beyersmile.png
)

Jun 25, 2014 at 11:50 AM Post #4,419 of 12,748
I've been engaging in a little to-and-fro with one of the regulars in the Hugo thread re whether any of our headphones need a dedicated amp with the Hugo and - to my complete annoyance - I have to admit that the X sounds pretty danged good straight out of the Hugo. The only headphones I own which I believe demand the Taurus are my HD800s and those are cans that I'm simply not prepared to part with regardless of how good the X is now or will prove to be over the coming weeks. Oddly, the only other headphone which really tempts me atm is the HE-6, having read what they are capable of with enough fire in the belly, but I cant buy more headphones when I already have a mint pair of LCD-2s staring at me every day. C'est La Vie kids :wink:

Jun 25, 2014 at 12:47 PM Post #4,420 of 12,748
Well all this kind of confirms suspicions that the X -may- be more at home with a different amp as compared to the LCD3s which are a little less neutral by nature and that the Mjo characteristics are such that combined with the 3s the result is a very nice match. While the X being more neutral may then not be quite as synergistic a match with the stack I have. All conjecture of course. Unfortunately no funding available at this time (ramping up the business) to acquire a different amp AND the X. Maybe someday. As for potential system components I would like to evolve to either the Vega/Taurus or the Liquid Glass/MSB dac with more emphasis on the latter... Champagne taste on a beer budget? One can dream I suppose.

Jun 25, 2014 at 1:38 PM Post #4,422 of 12,748
Jun 25, 2014 at 2:24 PM Post #4,423 of 12,748
  I think the alignment of the ear piece with the head band is not correct.  Try loosing the screw at the bottom of the pillar and turn the ear piece a bit and re-tighten the screw.  Don't worry it will not damage the ear piece, it is a very simple job.

Good idea, but I'd rather not violate the 30 day total warranty since I just got them. In fact, Audeze responded quickly and said it might be a serious problem, and I should send them down to LA for inspection and repair. Just wanted to upvote their fantastic customer service.

Jun 25, 2014 at 3:58 PM Post #4,424 of 12,748
Also how much burn-in seems to be requisite... I have well over a thousand hours on my LCD3 (listen while trading every day so the hours pile on) and wondering if all X phones require a lot of burn-in as a rule or is that just some do / some don't?

It took around 80-100 hours for the treble to settle down on my LCD-X. I put white (or pink) noise through it every night from my laptop and it continues to improve. The upper mids and treble are perhaps still a little too prominent, but that might be a problem with my ears rather than the headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back