Audeze LCD-X
Jun 23, 2014 at 6:52 PM Post #4,396 of 12,748
Whew!

I've got to say I was a bit nervous about spending the money I did on these (especially without hearing them first), but I'm practically in shock right now.  Even straight from my MBP, these are magnitudes better than my old HD650s in every way.

The soundstage is just massive.  Separation is outstanding.  They're so much faster, the bass is so much more precise and full, voices are so much more forward.  Ain't no Senn veil here!  The new Led Zeppelin remasters sound absolutely amazing.  I can't wait to explore the rest of my library.

My Schiit stack arrives on Wednesday.  I can't imagine what it'll all sound like then.  
blink.gif
 This makes me feel like a total noob again!  Weeeeeeeeeeee... back to the candy store! 
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Jun 23, 2014 at 8:40 PM Post #4,398 of 12,748
these are magnitudes better than my old HD650s in every way

I'm currently in the same joyous place...been rocking LCD-X out of a Soloist for a couple of months now. I still have 650s, and occasionally put them on for comparison or less intensive listening--it's fun hearing how the Senns scale with better gear, but I quickly get into the music and then switch to X for that extra level of pleasure.
Though I did get a chance to hear them out of Taurus when I auditioned...dangerously good

Jun 23, 2014 at 9:40 PM Post #4,399 of 12,748
  Whew!

I've got to say I was a bit nervous about spending the money I did on these (especially without hearing them first), but I'm practically in shock right now.  Even straight from my MBP, these are magnitudes better than my old HD650s in every way.

The soundstage is just massive.  Separation is outstanding.  They're so much faster, the bass is so much more precise and full, voices are so much more forward.  Ain't no Senn veil here!  The new Led Zeppelin remasters sound absolutely amazing.  I can't wait to explore the rest of my library...

Congratulations. I like the HD650's a lot, but I could hardly listen to them for a few weeks after i got my LCD-X. Truthfully, almost every other headphone sounded disappointing after the X. Now that I've had them for a while, I can enjoy the 650's again, but I've been spoiled for a lot of mid-level gear. The LCD-X's scale, but in a completely different way than the 650's. The 650's scale very linearly, tracking closely along with the quality of amps, The LCD-X's reach a fairly high level quickly and plateau along until you get to top tier amps--which take the X to new level.

Jun 24, 2014 at 1:05 AM Post #4,400 of 12,748
Great comments about the 650s vs the X. I had a demo X, and was blown away how great they sounded on my cheap HiFiMan amp. My own pair arrive tomorrow, followed shortly by a GS-X. I will try and post some comments about how the 650s stack up against the Xs with totl ss amplification.

Jun 24, 2014 at 1:18 AM Post #4,401 of 12,748
Great comments about the 650s vs the X. I had a demo X, and was blown away how great they sounded on my cheap HiFiMan amp. My own pair arrive tomorrow, followed shortly by a GS-X. I will try and post some comments about how the 650s stack up against the Xs with totl ss amplification.

Lucky boy. 2 presents so close together.

Jun 24, 2014 at 1:25 AM Post #4,402 of 12,748
Truth. But I have been waiting almost a year for the GS-X. Turns out the wait time afforded me the opp to demo and then purchase the Xs from Justin. I was originally set on the LCD-2s this time last year, but dat fazor blew me away. Also, I think the 2s and the 650s would have been too similar ...

Jun 24, 2014 at 1:30 AM Post #4,403 of 12,748
Truth. But I have been waiting almost a year for the GS-X. Turns out the wait time afforded me the opp to demo and then purchase the Xs from Justin. I was originally set on the LCD-2s this time last year, but dat fazor blew me away. Also, I think the 2s and the 650s would have been too similar ...

Btw have you gotten tracking info or final payment request. I got mine a couple weeks ago.

Jun 24, 2014 at 3:40 AM Post #4,405 of 12,748
  Yup. I received the final payment request around the same time you did. Hence the simultaneous move on the Xs (wink wink). I should have them burned in by the time the amp arrives.

If you can put white or pink noise through them for 100+ hours you will be well rewarded. Mine continue to get better and better as the burn in progresses.

I have been listening to some Elvis this evening. For an Elvis fan, 'Kentucky Rain' and 'In the Ghetto' on a Vega/Taurus/LCD-X rig is a near religious experience. This is why I bought headfi gear, rather than replacing my car. Screw the car - I'll happily drive my craptastic 2001 Subaru for a another year or two to enjoy music like this.
dt880smile.png

Jun 24, 2014 at 8:47 PM Post #4,406 of 12,748
  This is why I bought headfi gear, rather than replacing my car. Screw the car - I'll happily drive my craptastic 2001 Subaru for a another year or two to enjoy music like this.
dt880smile.png

Amen!  I just can't put these things down.  I honestly had no idea what I was getting myself into.  I don't have any audiophile friends or relatives, though I may have converted a coworker.  I am sure if you spend thousands more than this you can get something even nicer, but these things are already way beyond my imagination and crush any expectations I had.

My only quibble thus far is that un-amped, the low end bass isn't quite as powerful as I'd like it to be.  Though it did get a rather noticeable boost with my wimpy FiiO E7.  It's probably not even worth my breath- I'm sure Mjolnir will significantly change things.  Tomorrow... 
cool.gif

I think I'm going to get sick after the FedEx truck comes in the morning... yeah, sick... 
devil_face.gif

I was talking with a friend about it yesterday and I find it incredibly difficult to determine the worth of the gear and the hobby.  Music keeps me sane most days.  I'm not sure a price can really be put on that.  I only regret not getting into it sooner.

Jun 24, 2014 at 8:50 PM Post #4,407 of 12,748

Amen!  I just can't put these things down.  I honestly had no idea what I was getting myself into.  I don't have any audiophile friends or relatives, though I may have converted a coworker.  I am sure if you spend thousands more than this you can get something even nicer, but these things are already way beyond my imagination and crush any expectations I had.

My only quibble thus far is that un-amped, the low end bass isn't quite as powerful as I'd like it to be.  Though it did get a rather noticeable boost with my wimpy FiiO E7.  It's probably not even worth my breath- I'm sure Mjolnir will significantly change things.  Tomorrow... 
cool.gif

I think I'm going to get sick after the FedEx truck comes in the morning... yeah, sick... 
devil_face.gif

I was talking with a friend about it yesterday and I find it incredibly difficult to determine the worth of the gear and the hobby.  Music keeps me sane most days.  I'm not sure a price can really be put on that.  I only regret not getting into it sooner.

Right on     
beerchug.gif

Jun 24, 2014 at 9:09 PM Post #4,408 of 12,748

...  Music keeps me sane most days.  I'm not sure a price can really be put on that.  I only regret not getting into it sooner.

On board with all the above. For me the key selling point is that you can get near to the top end in terms of sound quality for a small fraction of what a traditional system built around floorstanders would cost. I could never justify (or afford) those sorts of numbers, but I can do a Vega/Taurus/LCD-X setup that delivers a big sackfull of enjoyment every day.

Added benefit is that I don't annoy the neighbours.

Jun 24, 2014 at 9:51 PM Post #4,409 of 12,748
  On board with all the above. For me the key selling point is that you can get near to the top end in terms of sound quality for a small fraction of what a traditional system built around floorstanders would cost. I could never justify (or afford) those sorts of numbers, but I can do a Vega/Taurus/LCD-X setup that delivers a big sackfull of enjoyment every day.

Added benefit is that I don't annoy the neighbours.

amen brethren.

Jun 25, 2014 at 12:06 AM Post #4,410 of 12,748

cool.gif

Yep, for me, the amping makes the biggest difference in the low end. I have used my Xs with my iPhone, Kindle, Chromebook, Laptop, Fiio E11, Little Dot 1+. and my Meier rig. The Meier amp puts over 4watts into these things and they really bring out the low end. It's not nearly as present with my other options. I'm sure the Mjolnir will make them thump!

The other area I notice really shines with the better amplification is imaging. The Xs have ridiculously good three dimensional imaging that has absolutely floored me on many occasions. It seems to be less prominent with my other amps/sources. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back