Audeze LCD-X
Apr 28, 2014 at 6:25 AM Post #3,961 of 12,748
Guys, the fazors are just marketing speak for those metal slits that as assume help direct the sound waves coming out of transducers. It shouldn't so anything to the efficiency etc. my guess is that fazors just helping control reflections in ear cup and hopefully making the sound better. There is no magic. If stats have changed then audeze is doing something to transducers etc.

Waveguide technology is not marketing speak. It will certainly have an effect on the sound

Apr 28, 2014 at 11:19 AM Post #3,962 of 12,748
Guys, the fazors are just marketing speak for those metal slits that as assume help direct the sound waves coming out of transducers. It shouldn't so anything to the efficiency etc. my guess is that fazors just helping control reflections in ear cup and hopefully making the sound better. There is no magic. If stats have changed then audeze is doing something to transducers etc.

Quote:
Waveguide technology is not marketing speak. It will certainly have an effect on the sound

I think you are misinterpreting my statement or not reading through my post.   I didn't say waveguide technology is marketing speak, but that the word, "fazor" is.  The fact that you used the term waveguide technology instead of fazor proves that point.  Also, if you read through my statement, I never said it didn't do anything to the sound.  I am saying it does not magically change the sensitivity, efficiency, etc., but that the waveguide technology are metal slits that help guide the sound waves in the earcup which my guess will reduce or make more predictable reflections etc in the ear cup.

Apr 28, 2014 at 12:44 PM Post #3,963 of 12,748
I believe the Fazors are more to reduce diffraction grating effects from the stator to the very close coupled ear. A pure waveguide deals with the original wave propagation and not a correction to other in-path irregularities.

Apr 29, 2014 at 7:20 AM Post #3,964 of 12,748
I recently got an LCD-X for my own. When I first heard that LCD-X and XC is positioned between LCD-3 and LCD-2, I did not believe that LCD-X would be so superior to LCD-2, because those price of those two are merely different about 500$s. However, at the first listening of LCD-X in the shop, the sound was stunning!! Actually, I tried to listen to LCD-2 to buy. So I really didn't hope that LCD-X would better than LCD-2. But except the very low deep bass response, everything else is superior in LCD-X than LCD-2. In Korea, LCD-X was hard to get that time, I tried to get it through On-line shop of AUDEZE. Importers were established in Korea, I waited and get the one. I have very short and unstable experience with LCD-3 but I like the sound texture of LCD-X better than LCD-3. It could totally dependent on the individual tastes. I just now wonder that STAX SR-009 is better than LCD-X. Long time ago, SR-007 and their paired amplifier system did not satisfy my taste at all. So I actually doubt that SR-009 would better than LCD-X. If they are better, I wonder how SR-009 is better than LCD-X. If anyone can explain the differences, please answer me. : - )

Apr 29, 2014 at 10:56 AM Post #3,965 of 12,748
  I recently got an LCD-X for my own. When I first heard that LCD-X and XC is positioned between LCD-3 and LCD-2, I did not believe that LCD-X would be so superior to LCD-2, because those price of those two are merely different about 500$s. However, at the first listening of LCD-X in the shop, the sound was stunning!! Actually, I tried to listen to LCD-2 to buy. So I really didn't hope that LCD-X would better than LCD-2. But except the very low deep bass response, everything else is superior in LCD-X than LCD-2. In Korea, LCD-X was hard to get that time, I tried to get it through On-line shop of AUDEZE. Importers were established in Korea, I waited and get the one. I have very short and unstable experience with LCD-3 but I like the sound texture of LCD-X better than LCD-3. It could totally dependent on the individual tastes. I just now wonder that STAX SR-009 is better than LCD-X. Long time ago, SR-007 and their paired amplifier system did not satisfy my taste at all. So I actually doubt that SR-009 would better than LCD-X. If they are better, I wonder how SR-009 is better than LCD-X. If anyone can explain the differences, please answer me. : - )

My order of preference, assuming these headphones were amped well:
SR-007MK1 = LCD-X > SR-009 > SR-007MK2

All electrostatic headphones were tested on the BHSE with Psvane EL34PH tubes. I'm not sure which SR-007 you tried, but the SR-007MK1 is better and more natural sounding than the SR-009 IMO. The BHSE/O2MK1 is heavenly, but it somewhat lacks the feeling of tactility and engagement that is the signature sound of planar magnetic headphones. I would say that SR-007MK1 is more polite, while the LCD-X is more aggressive. I eventually ended up with LCD-X in the end, though.

Apr 29, 2014 at 11:01 PM Post #3,967 of 12,748
Hi LCD-X thread,

I have decided the LCD-X will be my next headphone. I am also about to get a new amp which I will probably buy first. My current top headphone is the Alpha Dog which is closed and I don't plan on giving it up, so the amp must be able to drive it as well (AD is much less efficient.) So, help me choose a new amp.

I tend to like a slightly warm but still highly resolved sound. I definitely love tubes, but am open to pure SS options

The amps I am considering right now...

1.) Burson Soloist
2.) Auralic Tuarus mkii
3.) Woo WA22 - heard at a meet and definitely thought it was excellent
4.) Cavalli Liquid Glass - I heard this at a a meet and it was astounding
5.) Headamp GS-X mkii - heard at meet and thought was great, but not quite the magic of the Cavalli Liquid Glass, but perhaps the purest headphone amp I have ever heard

Any comments by those who have heard these? Are there any other obvious options that should certainly be considered? $3k is probably my upper limit.

Thanks in advance.

Apr 29, 2014 at 11:12 PM Post #3,968 of 12,748
  Hi LCD-X thread,

I have decided the LCD-X will be my next headphone. I am also about to get a new amp which I will probably buy first. My current top headphone is the Alpha Dog which is closed and I don't plan on giving it up, so the amp must be able to drive it as well (AD is much less efficient.) So, help me choose a new amp.

I tend to like a slightly warm but still highly resolved sound. I definitely love tubes, but am open to pure SS options

1.) Burson Soloist
2.) Auralic Tuarus mkii
5.) Headamp GS-X mkii - heard at meet and thought was great, but not quite the magic of the Cavalli Liquid Glass, but perhaps the purest headphone amp I have ever heard

Any comments by those who have heard these? Are there any other obvious options that should certainly be considered? $3k is probably my upper limit.

Thanks in advance.

Great choice in headphones! I love the LCD-X...for amps, I'm certainly partial to the GS-X Mk2, but be prepared to ensure that your source is up to snuff. It won't hide what's upstream (may or may not be a good thing 
wink.gif
). Otherwise, for the $1k or less, the Soloist is hard to beat.

Apr 29, 2014 at 11:13 PM Post #3,969 of 12,748
Hi LCD-X thread,

I don't mean to deviate away from your intended amp search, but in truth, given your budget and sound quality goals... make sure you first listen to the Chord Hugo with the X.  The Hugo is a world class DAC, yes, but you might be shocked at how well it drives the X.  The synergy with the X is stellar, and the sound quality it outputs is liquid.

That said, if you're well set on a DAC, my top amp preferences for the X right now would be the Auralic Taurus or GSX-MkII.

Apr 29, 2014 at 11:26 PM Post #3,970 of 12,748
  Hi LCD-X thread,

1.) Burson Soloist
2.) Auralic Tuarus mkii

Thanks in advance.

Consider the Allnic HPA-3000 (around $2,500). It's a recently released headphone amp so it's not as widely known as the ones you mentioned above, but boy does it sound phenomenal with both LCD-X and HD800. It is the little brother of the more expensive HPA-5000, but is said to be more versatile and could drive a wide range of impedance cans effectively. I prefer it over the Bakoon HPA-21.

Alternatively, the Pathos Aurium (around $1,500) has gotten favorable reviews, especially how it matches well with LCD-3/X.

Trafomatic Audio will soon release the Head 2 amp (around $2,500), which is a fully balanced tube amp. Can't comment on its sound, but I'm also looking forward to hearing it as well.

Apr 30, 2014 at 12:13 AM Post #3,971 of 12,748
I used to have Burson Soloist and audition Taurus, WA22 and Liquid Glass. I agreed that Soloist is hard to beat under 1k. And I like NAD M51 as well (based on my audition). Maybe also add to the list Luxman p700u and DNA Stratus. I quite like both of them with LCD-X.

IMO, it's better to buy the next amp based on audition (at meet or shop), not based on others impression. I, for example, prefer Soloist over Taurus, as Taurus gave me a slight etch with LCD-X (and HD800). But a lot other people quite like it though. I like its vega dac quite lot.

I wish I can audition GS-X

Apr 30, 2014 at 10:50 AM Post #3,972 of 12,748
  Hi LCD-X thread,

1.) Burson Soloist
2.) Auralic Tuarus mkii

Thanks in advance.

Don´t forget to set the Audio-GD Master 9 on your list. It has a fantastic synergy with the LCD-X and I would describe its sound the same way you like it to be: slightly warm but still highly resolved. Add an excellent seperation of instruments and huge soundstage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back