Audeze LCD-X
Apr 15, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #3,841 of 12,748
Dear ascNYC,

You can take-off the earpads without "cutting off" - but you have to be very carefull. The earpads on bottomside has a sort of "leather/rubber" paint on the fabric itself. And it's very easy to tear-off because of the strength of the double-sided tape. So you get a little damage on the earpad-bottomside. You can re-use again, but you know it's not virgin anymore. BTW Vegan pads are awesome :wink:

Sorry, hope you do understand my explanation - English is not my native language :wink: - and my typing is not that fast as Jerg's haha...

Apr 15, 2014 at 7:48 PM Post #3,842 of 12,748
I have been able to secure all four LCD models for a few days of comparison testing.  Pre-Fazor LCD-2 and 3, as well as the XC and X.

Curious if anyone has ideas on the kind of tests/comparisons which might be useful or interesting -- which I plan to conduct using the DA11/Phonitor combo.  As a baseline, I was thinking of creating a playlist with representative samples from several genres, as I did with the previous testing with HD800, HE-6, T1 and others (which I still have on hand, as it happens).

Any specific requests?

Apr 15, 2014 at 9:35 PM Post #3,844 of 12,748
  I have my Xs with vegan earpads. They are very comfy. They have definitely been revised from the brown vegan earpads used on the LCD2s and 3s. The browns were still comfy but much more firm. I wear glasses so I could still feel some pressure on the sides of my head. I don't have that problem anymore with the new black (gray) vegan pads. You'll be surprised how soft they are. Time will tell if they keep their shape for months or not due to their softness.

I think the same is true for the leather ones too. They definitely have become softer when I auditioned the Xs and XCs with both leather/vegan on SoCal Head-fi meet last month.

+1.  I also have recently fitted the black vegan pads onto my LCD-X and they are really soft and comfortable.  I prefer this against the leather pads.

Apr 15, 2014 at 10:46 PM Post #3,845 of 12,748
  I have been able to secure all four LCD models for a few days of comparison testing.  Pre-Fazor LCD-2 and 3, as well as the XC and X.

Curious if anyone has ideas on the kind of tests/comparisons which might be useful or interesting -- which I plan to conduct using the DA11/Phonitor combo.  As a baseline, I was thinking of creating a playlist with representative samples from several genres, as I did with the previous testing with HD800, HE-6, T1 and others (which I still have on hand, as it happens).

Any specific requests?

Live guitar. I'd ask for one of 2 tracks from Neil Young's Weld album:
   1. Crime in the City
   2. Cortez the Killer
I'm really interested in how one of these tracks compares with the HE-6.

Secondary might be something from Daft Punk's Tron soundtrack like "Recognizer" and something vocal like "San Andreas Fault" from Natalie Merchant's Tigerlily album.

Apr 15, 2014 at 11:08 PM Post #3,846 of 12,748

Any specific requests?

I would suggest checking out any of the Chesky test CDs as many of them have a broad range of music that tests specific elements of critical listening (i.e. base, holographic, resolution, transperancy). I have found these useful in the past when evaluating different headphones, amps, etc.

Apr 16, 2014 at 9:05 AM Post #3,848 of 12,748
You really cannot just easily swap between the leather and suede?  This is something I was not aware of when I placed the order.  The last thing I want to do is fight with a 1700 pair of headphones and ruin 200 worth of pads and headband,  Why did they epoxy them down so hard or at all? Sounds like over-engineering taken to it's extreme.

Apr 16, 2014 at 9:12 AM Post #3,849 of 12,748
  You really cannot just easily swap between the leather and suede?  This is something I was not aware of when I placed the order.  The last thing I want to do is fight with a 1700 pair of headphones and ruin 200 worth of pads and headband,  Why did they epoxy them down so hard or at all? Sounds like over-engineering taken to it's extreme.

Well, I don't think that is the case.  For me I just used less than 10 mins to change the pads and without causing any damage to the leather pads.  The leather pads are all intact.  I can re-use it whenever I like. Audeze sent me 4 double sided adhesive rings and I only used 2 of them on the vegan pads.  I still have 2 remaining as spare. 

See my post in #3692:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/684394/audeze-lcd-x/3690#post_10417103

Apr 16, 2014 at 10:09 AM Post #3,850 of 12,748
Good to hear - then I'm the only one damaging his earpads by changing leather into vegan ;-( Comfort of black vegan is great, but i don't know if quality of BLACK vegan is same as BROWN vegan earpads. Not because of color, but they really seems more soft to me. Also fabric (velours) looks a bit thinner - but still is quality!

Apr 16, 2014 at 8:46 PM Post #3,851 of 12,748
Earpads arrived... took about 10 minutes to pry off the leather pads and stick on the suede ones... no damage, very easy in fact.  Very glad it wasn't a big deal.  Micro-suede is definitely more comfortable, not necessarily cooler but none of the stickiness of leather.  Maybe even a bit warmer.  Sound is about the same, if anything a bit tamer up top, shifted slightly darker, perhaps a bit more forgiving on the source. A bit quieter with less impact on the high strikes like snare.

Apr 17, 2014 at 7:01 AM Post #3,852 of 12,748
anyone tried them with the liquid gold amp and the studio 6 by ALO? Which one would be better for this and the hd800 or something else in that price range? (around 4k usd)

Apr 18, 2014 at 12:15 AM Post #3,854 of 12,748
  Earpads arrived... took about 10 minutes to pry off the leather pads and stick on the suede ones... no damage, very easy in fact.  Very glad it wasn't a big deal.  Micro-suede is definitely more comfortable, not necessarily cooler but none of the stickiness of leather.  Maybe even a bit warmer.  Sound is about the same, if anything a bit tamer up top, shifted slightly darker, perhaps a bit more forgiving on the source. A bit quieter with less impact on the high strikes like snare.

Apr 18, 2014 at 2:20 AM Post #3,855 of 12,748
Just got the LCDX today -- must say, WOW! So impressed with detail, spaciousness and realism. I still consider myself newer to  hi-res audio and gear, but I was able to try a few other high-end models at the store -- HD800, LCDXC, etc and the LCDX sounded best to me by far. The most "real" and close to the aliveness of the music. I only have a dragonfly USB dad/amp right now, so I can't wait until my Hugo arrives, which is an amazing synergy. Very thrilled that I finally bit the bullet and got a pair of these headphones! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back