Audeze LCD-X
Apr 1, 2014 at 5:34 PM Post #3,691 of 12,748
Now the weather is getting warm in the UK and after an hr. of using my LCD-X my ears get uncomfortable with the leather earpads.  I can feel my skin is sweating.

I tried to find a pair of vegan earpads from the distributors in the UK but unfortunately they did not have stocks.  What I did was to order the vegan earpads directly from Audeze in the US.  The service is wonderful and I received my earpads within a week of purchase.  Another thing that surprised me was that the vegan earpad was black in color instead of brown that I did not expect.  That is exactly what I wanted to have as it matches with the color of the LCD-X.

Here are the photos of my newly installed black vegan earpads.  The installation is relatively easy and it only took me 10 mins to complete the change. The vegan earpads are very soft and now my LCD-X is more comfortable to wear.  The SQ of using leather or vegan earpads are the same and I do not hear any difference.

Apr 1, 2014 at 5:49 PM Post #3,692 of 12,748
Wow, that looks very nice...I'm pretty smitten with the comfort of the leather pads...but you find the vegan pads MORE comfortable? Is that only in terms of keeping your ears cool, or the overall comfort is better, as well? 

Apr 2, 2014 at 12:41 AM Post #3,693 of 12,748
  Wow, that looks very nice...I'm pretty smitten with the comfort of the leather pads...but you find the vegan pads MORE comfortable? Is that only in terms of keeping your ears cool, or the overall comfort is better, as well? 

I found the vegan is even softer than the leather earpads thus felt more comfortable, but that is only my personal feeling 
wink_face.gif

Apr 2, 2014 at 9:53 AM Post #3,696 of 12,748
Is it possible to convert my XC to an X?  The reason being that my original need for closed is no longer a need and I prefer the weight and sound of the X to the XC.  Also I am using these at work for 6 hours a day and the weight is starting to get to me.  I noticed the weight of the X is quite a bit more comfortable.  Would love to just purchase the grill plate and swap out the wood if possible.

Apr 2, 2014 at 9:55 AM Post #3,697 of 12,748
  what is fazor ? Is it a piece of metal that stands infront of the diaphram ? Or is it a plate of magnet that improves, enhances the magnetic flux generated by the magnet arrays ? 

Check this out on Audeze's site: http://www.audeze.com/technology/tech-tour/audeze-planars

It has a diagram of what the Fazor is.  Not sure if it's metal or plastic (I think it's plastic), but it looks like it just helps shape the sound waves out and reduces flat reflections kinda like a diffuser.  When I compare the LCD-2 to the LCD-X, on the inside of the earcups, I can feel it is flat on the LCD-2 (kinda like --  --  -- when touched), whereas the LCD-X feels like they are pointy (kinda like /\  /\  /\ ).

Apr 2, 2014 at 12:18 PM Post #3,699 of 12,748
  I think the fazors are metal and Audeze is currently using them on their full line of headphones.

Indeed. All models have fazors now. So new versions of LCD-2 and LCD-3 should have better instrument separation and imaging. This also helps them scale more with a better DAC. Also their impedance could get smaller, because the fazors help move the membrane in a more efficient way, so they should also be easier to drive (if I understood correctly). 

So practically there are new revisions for LCD2 and LCD3 : LCD-2 rev 3 and LCD3 rev 3 (if we consider the first batch of darker ones)

Apr 2, 2014 at 12:49 PM Post #3,700 of 12,748
  Indeed. All models have fazors now. So new versions of LCD-2 and LCD-3 should have better instrument separation and imaging. This also helps them scale more with a better DAC. Also their impedance could get smaller, because the fazors help move the membrane in a more efficient way, so they should also be easier to drive (if I understood correctly). 

So practically there are new revisions for LCD2 and LCD3 : LCD-2 rev 3 and LCD3 rev 3 (if we consider the first batch of darker ones)

Dan,

That is the first I've heard of Audeze using the fazor's in all models now, can I ask where you heard that?

Apr 2, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #3,703 of 12,748
Cool, thanks guys, may have to make the upgrade to LCD-3 soon, anyone heard the new LCD-3 w/ Fazors? Curious how it sounds in comparison the previous version.

Apr 2, 2014 at 4:04 PM Post #3,705 of 12,748
Infrequent poster on here but I thought I would share my thoughts regarding my experience so far with the LCD-X's.
A little background first.....
I have long thought that the HD800's are underwhelming and a little boring if truth be known. I think I can safely say now I am rid of them that they totally lack character and tend to suck the life out of some music. Don't get me wrong...they are stellar with some types of music, particularly acoustic and small chamber ensembles. 
I have stuck with them for a couple of years convincing myself that they must be good because everybody says they are.
With rock and classical in particular I was always wanting more from them. I have tried various amps with them...perhaps not the high end esoteric brands....but that's a cost thing and mainly due to not being able to justify spending another couple of grand on top of the £1000 already spent on the HD800's. thinking back perhaps I should have got a lesser pair of headphones in the first place.....I suppose its a bit like buying a Ferrari and not being able to afford the petrol to put in it
I know now that some of you will say that I didn't get to hear the Sennheisers on the correct amp and I am prepared to accept that to a degree.
Anyway to cut a long story short...finally decided to sell the HD800's on and started researching for their replacement.
As most of you will know all roads investigated led to Audeze.......Just which model to choose?
In the end I plumped for the LCD-X's. ...why you ask?
Because they had slightly newer technology than the LCD-3's, higher sensitivity, so a little easier to drive from a number  of sources......and a huge number of reviews from pro users and amateur audiophiles which were predominantly positive.
I have now had the X's for a couple of weeks and from the moment I plugged them into my Benchmark DAC2 HGC headphone socket I knew I had made the right decision.
Straight out the box they sounded magnificent.
The Benchmark appears to be a good fit for the X's too as it has more than enough power to drive them and to high volume levels too.I was open to bying a new amp for the X's as I wasn't sure if the Benchmark would be up to the job.....but I needn't have worried

A few descriptive words to describe the sound/performance of the X's........
Holographic but euphonic and fruity. The bass is in a different class to any headphone I have ever heard. I owned a Bass beast in the Denon AH D7000's a few years ago and good as they were their bass was out of control when you compare it to the X's bass.
Voice reproduction is to die for....... particularly male voices to my ears.
I am a massive fan of big Orchestra's and Symphonic music...along with electronic music. Think Infected Mushroom and Shpongle......and the X's are just slayers of this genre of music.
Complicated mixes do not wrong foot them either.
Once again I am listening to music with a grin on my face...whereas with the Sennheisers I was always felt a bit short changed...but was in denial and wouldn't admit it to myself as I had spent so much money.
There are similarities in the two models.......but its as if the X's have taken everything great about the HD800's and then added some of their own magic and it is this which makes them such fun to listen to.......Clarity, Slam and superb P.R.A.T. On top of this they will go to ear damaging sound levels without distortion and they possess an intimate listening experience, particularly with the right material, that is rare in a closed back headphone let alone an open backed one.
Audeze have created something special with the X's......anybody still hovering their finger over the Buy button, have no fear and buy with confidence.
Rest assured,  you  will not regret it for one moment. And if you too are having doubts about just how good those HD800's really are......have a listen to the X's...and prepare to be amazed. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back