Audeze LCD-X
Mar 28, 2014 at 1:57 AM Post #3,676 of 12,748
Have you thought about a Burson Conductor? It's one of the best DAC/AMP combo pairings with Audeze headphones.

Mar 28, 2014 at 4:27 AM Post #3,677 of 12,748
  Hi,

I just received my set of LCD-X's 2 days ago and I am not sure that my current amplifier is a good fit for them. I have a HeadRoom Ultra Desktop with dedicated power supply.  To my ears the sound is just not as emotionally involving as I had expected it would be based on all the posts I have read in this forum.

I am using a portable Sony dvd player as a inexpensive transport and sending the digital output to the HeadRoom amplifier, which has its own dac.  I really don't believe the dvd player is the problem.   I concede that a good transport might make some difference (because of less jitter, etc.), but I generally subscribe to the belief that  "numbers are numbers" and that the dac and amplification are much more important to good sound.   Also, I would like to stay with a dac/amp combo rather than buy separate components.

I would really appreciate any recommendations for a dac/amp combo which would sound significantly better with these headphones than what I am currently using.  If possible, I would like to keep the price to around $1500 or less.  Any suggestions, or am I just being unrealistic?  Much thanks!

Have you tried other input sources?  I still believe good CDP makes a lot of differences.

Mar 28, 2014 at 8:23 AM Post #3,679 of 12,748
Have you tried other input sources?  I still believe good CDP makes a lot of differences.

I have used other input sources, but nothing I would consider better than the DVD player. I have used an iPad Air, a portable Panasonic CD player, and an iPod Classic. These only provide analog output, which is why I consider them inferior to the DVD player, which at least uses a standard cd and also provides digital output.

Mar 28, 2014 at 9:15 AM Post #3,680 of 12,748
I have used other input sources, but nothing I would consider better than the DVD player. I have used an iPad Air, a portable Panasonic CD player, and an iPod Classic. These only provide analog output, which is why I consider them inferior to the DVD player, which at least uses a standard cd and also provides digital output.

FWIW, for $29 you can get a digital output from the iPad Air via the Lightning-to-USB adapter.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD821ZM/A/lightning-to-usb-camera-adapter?fnode=3a

Mar 28, 2014 at 9:43 AM Post #3,681 of 12,748
FWIW, for $29 you can get a digital output from the iPad Air via the Lightning-to-USB adapter.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD821ZM/A/lightning-to-usb-camera-adapter?fnode=3a

Thanks, but the most that gets me (assuming I start using lossless music files) is an iPad Air that sounds as good as the Sony DVD player/HeadRoom amp combination. My goal here is to improve on that sound for $1500 or less, if possible.

Mar 28, 2014 at 9:50 AM Post #3,682 of 12,748
Thanks, but the most that gets me (assuming I start using lossless music files) is an iPad Air that sounds as good as the Sony DVD player/HeadRoom amp combination. My goal here is to improve on that sound for $1500 or less, if possible.

That's fine...I was simply offering an alternative for digital source using what you already have. As to your original question, it's been asked and answered about 100x in this thread...on fact, it was asked and answered within the last page or two.

Mar 28, 2014 at 10:23 AM Post #3,683 of 12,748
That's fine...I was simply offering an alternative for digital source using what you already have. As to your original question, it's been asked and answered about 100x in this thread...on fact, it was asked and answered within the last page or two.

I have read many (but certainly not all) the posts here and I have seen lots of discussions and recommendations for the best matching amps and dacs for these headphones. However my question was specifically about dac/amp combos. Some of the equipment recommended may well have fallen into that category; but if it was not so stated in the discussion, I would not have known. If you can point me to one or two possibilities that you would recommend, I would really appreciate it.

Mar 28, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #3,684 of 12,748
I have read many (but certainly not all) the posts here and I have seen lots of discussions and recommendations for the best matching amps and dacs for these headphones. However my question was specifically about dac/amp combos. Some of the equipment recommended may well have fallen into that category; but if it was not so stated in the discussion, I would not have known. If you can point me to one or two possibilities that you would recommend, I would really appreciate it.

One page ago, the same question was asked and received at least 4 recommendations.

I don't mean to seem rude, and you seem a decent fellow, it's just a pet peeve of mine when people want to be spoon fed without doing at least a bit of research.

Here's where the last person asked the same question and was answered...

http://www.head-fi.org/t/684394/audeze-lcd-x/3660#post_10400040

Among the suggestions were the Chord Hugo, Woo WA7, Burson Conductor and Benchmark DAC2 HGC.

Mar 28, 2014 at 10:45 AM Post #3,685 of 12,748
One page ago, the same question was asked and received at least 4 recommendations.

I don't mean to seem rude, and you seem a decent fellow, it's just a pet peeve of mine when people want to be spoon fed without doing at least a bit of research.

Here's where the last person asked the same question and was answered...

http://www.head-fi.org/t/684394/audeze-lcd-x/3660#post_10400040

Among the suggestions were the Chord Hugo, Woo WA7, Burson Conductor and Benchmark DAC2 HGC.

Thanks for the links.

Mar 28, 2014 at 3:48 PM Post #3,686 of 12,748
Thanks for the links.

Milton61,

Regarding your question on getting better sound that what you're currently getting from your CD player Benchmark published an interesting article yesterday on "What is high resolution audio" that can be found here: http://benchmarkmedia.com/blogs/news/13174001-what-is-high-resolution-audio?mc_cid=25eeb65974&mc_eid=351ba02cd8

Although it doesn't specifically answer your question about specific equipment recommendations (that, as others have written, has been answered many times over) it does provide some additional food for thought on achieving better resolution in listening to your music.

-andrew

Mar 28, 2014 at 8:44 PM Post #3,687 of 12,748
  Milton61,

Regarding your question on getting better sound that what you're currently getting from your CD player Benchmark published an interesting article yesterday on "What is high resolution audio" that can be found here: http://benchmarkmedia.com/blogs/news/13174001-what-is-high-resolution-audio?mc_cid=25eeb65974&mc_eid=351ba02cd8

Although it doesn't specifically answer your question about specific equipment recommendations (that, as others have written, has been answered many times over) it does provide some additional food for thought on achieving better resolution in listening to your music.

-andrew

Andrew,

Thanks very much for the link to the article.  I enjoyed it.  I will definitely be doing some critical listening and decision making within the next month.  There is a place relatively close to me which sells Audeze products, and had demos of the lcd 2's and 3's.  At the time they did not (and still do not) have the X's in stock.  But based largely on what I read here, I decided to order the lcd-x's anyway, from a store online.  I have a little less than a month to return them or trade them in for other phones. So far my impression is that I liked the sound of the lcd-3's at the store better. So now I need to figure out if it is the phones or the electronics that make me like the 3's.

Mar 29, 2014 at 10:52 AM Post #3,688 of 12,748
Comparison of LCD-X; HD-800 and HE-500 using Hifiman EF-5 Headphone amplifier

Recently I have completed modding my Hifiman EF-5 and used it to run the LCD-X; HD-800 and HE-500 for a comparison.

If you are interested you can find my impression of the three different CANs in the following link:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/711004/hifiman-ef-5-headphone-amplifier-mods-and-rolls#post_10406452

Apr 1, 2014 at 2:13 PM Post #3,689 of 12,748
my pair of lcd x should be coming in Thursday.
I love the hd800 on classical/jazz/film score and this will be my hp for electronica/rock/rap replacing the hd650 / he500 / lcd2 as I wanted something that was a clear upgrade and not a sideway step.

once I get these I'll have to decide what to do as far as amping.  Are there any amps that are really excellent with boht hd800 and lcd X so that its the only amp one would need?
I hate having all these boxes around would love to replace it with one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back