Audeze LCD-X
Jan 20, 2014 at 7:06 PM Post #2,686 of 12,748
What about the WA7 with LCD-X compared to Mjolnir/Gungir?

My Schiit stack was stolen last week along with my PC, and thankfully my LCD-X didn't arrive for another few days. (They didn't take my LCD-2.2, because I guess thieves don't value them as highly as Beats...) As much as it sucks having my Schiit taken, it does give me an opportunity to start from scratch.

As much as I liked my setup, I felt like what I was hearing was too dependent on where the volume knob was set, meaning that, by the time I had the setting up where I wanted, the highs seemed too aggressive, unfocused and grainy. When I turned the volume down to fix this, the bass response and impact weren't quite where I wanted.

I'm wondering if the WA7 would be generally considered an improvement for starters, or if the tube aspect wouldn't make it a good match. Also, would it be able to drive the X sufficiently in comparison?

Jan 20, 2014 at 7:24 PM Post #2,687 of 12,748

My Schiit stack was stolen last week along with my PC, and thankfully my LCD-X didn't arrive for another few days. (They didn't take my LCD-2.2, because I guess thieves don't value them as highly as Beats...) As much as it sucks having my Schiit taken, it does give me an opportunity to start from scratch.

As much as I liked my setup, I felt like what I was hearing was too dependent on where the volume knob was set, meaning that, by the time I had the setting up where I wanted, the highs seemed too aggressive, unfocused and grainy. When I turned the volume down to fix this, the bass response and impact weren't quite where I wanted.

I'm wondering if the WA7 would be generally considered an improvement for starters, or if the tube aspect wouldn't make it a good match. Also, would it be able to drive the X sufficiently in comparison?

I just sold my Mjolnir. It's a reasonable choice for the LCD-X if you want a very tight and lean sound with a large soundstage. I liked it a lot with the LCD-2, but it was a little leaner sound than I like with the LCD-X. I wouldn't rule out tube amps--I tried several and they sounded very good with the LCD-X.

The I'm on the hunt for a neutral and powerful SS amp or a tube amp with a wide soundstage. I have some doubts about the M9. Very tempted to try building a KSA5 clone--crazy!

Jan 20, 2014 at 8:52 PM Post #2,688 of 12,748
  Would I like the LCD-X or LCD-XC?

I kinda liked the LCD-2 first and thought they were even better than the LCD-3 (snappier, tighter and a bit more treble, although a smaller soundstage). But ever since getting the SR-009, HD 800 and TH-900 the LCD-2 just sounds so muffled. The upper mids are totally sucked out and I don´t like that, it´s very unnatural sound, but I understand how many like this "soft" sound.

So would I like the LCD-X or LCD-XC?

If you can go with open headphones, I'd recommend the LCD-X. They are a bit more open sounding and more natural. Both are truly outstanding. If you need a closed headphone, then the LCD-XC are my "go to" headphones. The LCD-X / GS-XMk2 really push my SR-007Mk1 / KGSSHV combination (and I do prefer the former my a small margin FWIW).

Jan 20, 2014 at 9:46 PM Post #2,689 of 12,748
Just bought a WA22 amp, what DAC would you guys recommend to go with it?

I'm quite enjoying my WA22 from the Schiit Gungnir and from the A-GD NFB-10 DAC section. The former more than the latter. Whatever you choose, make sure it's a balanced output...the WA22 sounds closed and muffled from the SE inputs, but awesome from the balanced ins.

What tubes are you running?

The Mjolnir is a great amp with the LCD-X's as well, IMO.

Jan 20, 2014 at 11:22 PM Post #2,690 of 12,748
  Isn't that contradictory to what you said before?
So, the LCD-XC would be closer to a HE-500 then, right?

I actually bought the LCD-X based on your comment on the pairing with the EF-6 but I was disappointed. They are good headphones, no question, but they certainly are not a "HE-6 killer" or anything close.

Plus they are super uncomfortable for me. The stupid (hard) bumps in the headband make 2 pressure points on top of my head and they are they tire my neck even while I'm lying in bed, the head on my pillow. That's the very first headphone that gives me such discomfort in bed. The AKG K/Q-701 being another headphone I didn't really like because of the huge cup that end up on my jaws.

Oops, I made a mistake...it's the other way around: if you play the XCs out of a warm source and the Xs out of a brighter source, they sound surprisingly similar.  That's what I meant...my bad.  By the way, the EF-6 driving the Xs worked for me, but only when using silver interconnects and silver headphone replacement cables.  Using cooper made the EF-6/X combination sound too warm for me.  Also bear in mind that I was using the Oppo 95 universal player, which some have accused of being a brighter-sounding source.  Too many interchangeable factors, I know...but for me, under the aforementioned conditions, the EF-6/X combo was a winner, even though I prefer how the Xs sound out of my RS Darkstar and Decware Taboo amps.

Jan 21, 2014 at 10:59 AM Post #2,691 of 12,748

Congratulations, I'm sorry. :)

I'm also considering replacing my source (DA8) and amp (Mj).  If I don't sell my -X, I probably will... just not sure what I'll do.  I was thinking M9.  Also WA22.  I dunno.  I should really just concentrate on selling it and getting out of this hobby.  Or get some planar speakers.  Or a turntable.  

Maybe I'll just start doing heroin and get over the whole thing.

Jan 21, 2014 at 11:07 AM Post #2,692 of 12,748
  Congratulations, I'm sorry. :)

I'm also considering replacing my source (DA8) and amp (Mj).  If I don't sell my -X, I probably will... just not sure what I'll do.  I was thinking M9.  Also WA22.  I dunno.  I should really just concentrate on selling it and getting out of this hobby.  Or get some planar speakers.  Or a turntable.  

Maybe I'll just start doing heroin and get over the whole thing.

Heroin would most likely prove cheaper in the long run, but perhaps be less satisfying...

Jan 21, 2014 at 9:29 PM Post #2,694 of 12,748
got my pair in today...had a bit of a scare cause all I had available was my iPhone....note to self- LCD-X needs an amp!

Now that I have them fired up on the Meier gear I'm getting more of what I expected. But wow, did they ever lack involvement an sound thin for a minute there. 

Early impressions are that they are less forgiving with average-to-poor recordings than the LCD-2s. Can't tell any increase in weight over the 2s. Still love these ear pads. 

Jan 22, 2014 at 12:02 PM Post #2,695 of 12,748
got my pair in today...had a bit of a scare cause all I had available was my iPhone....note to self- LCD-X needs an amp!

Now that I have them fired up on the Meier gear I'm getting more of what I expected. But wow, did they ever lack involvement an sound thin for a minute there. 

Early impressions are that they are less forgiving with average-to-poor recordings than the LCD-2s. Can't tell any increase in weight over the 2s. Still love these ear pads. 

Would love some impressions as to how they sound with the Jazz I see in your signature (if you still have it), as that is my current amp of choice.

Jan 22, 2014 at 1:19 PM Post #2,696 of 12,748
I almost..almost pulled the trigger on LCD 3 yesterday....but then, after i read through this thread, it made me think again.

I always love the mid/vocal, currently using MJ/GUN with HE500, which one will give me the best mid/vocal, LCD-X or LCD-3?

Thank you very much!

PS: sorry for bad english :p

Jan 22, 2014 at 1:59 PM Post #2,697 of 12,748
  I almost..almost pulled the trigger on LCD 3 yesterday....but then, after i read through this thread, it made me think again.

I always love the mid/vocal, currently using MJ/GUN with HE500, which one will give me the best mid/vocal, LCD-X or LCD-3?

Thank you very much!

PS: sorry for bad english :p

It depends on your tastes. LCD-3 has a fuller sound with warmer voices and better lower midrange with fuller instrument extension while LCD-X has cleaner (and more natural in my opinion) voices, especially the female vocals and more present upper midrange.

Jan 22, 2014 at 2:03 PM Post #2,698 of 12,748

It depends on your tastes. LCD-3 has a fuller sound with warmer voices and better lower midrange with fuller instrument extension while LCD-X has cleaner (and more natural in my opinion) voices, especially the female vocals and more present upper midrange.

Thx Dan,

Your review in your blog really, literally stopped the trigger on Lcd-3, and i am now really tempted to get the Lcd-X.

I always love to hear the vocal like i am sitting infront of the singers. 

Since i am going to pair the cans with the Mj/Gun combo, will the LCD-X turns out to be similar to the sound of HE-500?

Thx you for your time. :)

Jan 22, 2014 at 2:50 PM Post #2,699 of 12,748
I found the LCD-2 dark and heavy, not poor sounding just too dark with a restricted soundstage and laid back mids.  I purchased the LCD-3 thinking there would be a substantial difference...there WAS NOT.  Sold them too.  I'm now hoping against hope that the LCD-X will be the ticket for me.  Looking for a neutral sound with more upfront mids and a "sparkle" to the highend BUT still warm and full bodied (I may be fooling myself here and asking for the impossible).  I can deal with the weight issue.  I enjoy the Grado 225's (terrific mids) and the Senn 650's (smooth and rich)  along with the Hifiman 500's (open soundstage and a bit of sparkle).  I guess I am looking for a melding of the three.  Amps/DACs are Woo WA6SE, Schiit Mjolnir, Benchmark HGC2, Grace M903.  No shortage of great sources just looking for that magic headphone I've not yet found (although the HIFIman 500 is close)...should I take another chance on the LCD-X (I think I've answered my own question...no).

Jan 22, 2014 at 2:53 PM Post #2,700 of 12,748
Originally Posted by MaJoMax /img/forum/go_quote.gif

...I always love to hear the vocal like i am sitting infront of the singers. 

Since i am going to pair the cans with the Mj/Gun combo, will the LCD-X turns out to be similar to the sound of HE-500?...

The HE-500 signature is very different from both the LCD-X and the LCD-3. I think the Mjolnir pairs better with the LCD-3, since the forward brightness of the amp tempers the lush thick sound of the LCD-3s.  To me, the LCD-3 is a more mid-centric phone than the LCD-X. The M/G is still very nice with the LCD-X--especially if you like a a very spacious, neutral, and lean sound. The HE500 with the M/G is bright and somewhat harsh to my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back