Audeze LCD-X
Dec 17, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #2,236 of 12,748
Just an FYI, but our hearing's "frequency response" changes depending on level. At lower levels, we are less sensitive to the lowest and highest frequencies, and midrange becomes more dominant. As you go up in level, the response begins to get more even. You can see this in the classic Fletcher-Munson equal loudness curves and is why stereos back in the day commonly had a "loudness" switch which gave a bit of boost to the lows and the highs so that things would sound a bit more natural when listening at lower volumes.

se

Leave it to Steve to just level set things. Very well stated sir.

Dec 18, 2013 at 8:04 AM Post #2,237 of 12,748
Dec 18, 2013 at 9:13 PM Post #2,240 of 12,748
  The lcd-x is very sensitive to amps tried many different amps from tube to ss, this phone can sound almost bad or to one of the best around (top 4).Didn't like it with OTL and powerfull ss amps(b22 etc.), best match i found with Audiobyte Silver Dragon.Stock cable is also problematic q-audio and Forza sound better (mids).These are difficult phones so good luck for all of you to find the right amp.(Mids are problematic with lcd-x it can sound from crap to amazing )

I do not experience this, at all.

Dec 18, 2013 at 9:48 PM Post #2,241 of 12,748
  I did give this phone continuous 60 hours brutal high volume burn in time (take care that the phone not depart this life), the result is a much more liquid phone with wonderful midrange and soundstage wich is almost on par with HD-800.Example ,on Brendan Perrys album Ark/Boy the echo is now much longer. very liquid.I don't know why this phone reminds me now quite close to Stax Omega 1 with little bit more dynamics,very nice i like it.

That's quite a statement. Comparing it to Omegas?!

I have heard a lot of serious praise of LCD3 and when I heard it I was unimpressed. Perhaps it was because mr expectations were set so high, or maybe because I value things in my presentation that are other from what the LCD3 does well (i.e I love spacious presentation and 3d imaging).

Thinker's post makes me think that LDCX is a departure from audeze's "wall of sound" (meaning 2d flat image) presentation, I experienced when I auditioned the LCD3. 
I would like to preface this though by saying that I think that LCD3 does a lot of other things really well.Just not my cup of tea/ 

So does LCD X really improve on 3d imaging over the other Audeze models and is it comparable to other HPs that do this well (i.e. HD 800 or Stax cans)?  i would appreciate more insights. Thanks!

Dec 18, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #2,242 of 12,748
Hi everyone! 
smile.gif

I decided to take a break from talking about these for a little while - partially because I've been crazy busy - but also because some people got the impression that I was trying to hype these.  But now that people have had a chance to hear for themselves, I can stop being all tight-lipped about some of my enthusiasm.

I've been running both the LCD-X and the LCD-XC for about 6 weeks now, with an LCD-3 on the side for comparative purposes.  Outside of occasionally driving them with an AK120, I've been using a laptop > Mytek 192 > WA7 (with EH tubes) for them.  I'm actually liking this combination quite a bit.  The WA7 adds some pleasing warmth and musicality to the pairing.  I've already staked my claim on a new WA7 PSU, and am eagerly awaiting that upgrade to this rig.

I'm working with some of my Audio360 brethren on a rather comprehensive review of these.  But I'd be happy to answer any questions I can in advance of that review being done.

For those that are interested, I've also been using three different cables with the LCD-X for most of my impressions:  stock, Cardas Clear, and a prototype for an upcoming LCD cable from WyWires.  And while I would say the Cardas Clear is the most neutral sounding of the bunch, I personally enjoy the WyWires prototype the most at moment.  It seems to:  add some weight and extension to the low end; bring the mids forward (especially the upper mids); and add some extension to the highs.

Dec 18, 2013 at 11:02 PM Post #2,243 of 12,748
...So does LCD X really improve on 3d imaging over the other Audeze models and is it comparable to other HPs that do this well (i.e. HD 800 or Stax cans)?  i would appreciate more insights. Thanks!

I'll bring my pair to the next DC meet and maybe you can listen yourself. I think they're a substantial improvement over the LCD-2 imaging and the LCD-3 as well. If you noticed in this thread, there were some people wondering why Audeze came up with a headphone so similar to an HD800-style headphone, but  some people feel like the LCD-X isn't that different from the LCD-2/LCD-3 sound. I think the LCD-X is a satisfying cross between "Audeze voicing" and a brighter presentation with more air like the HD800. But it's not a cross like a fader midway between the two signatures. The LCD-X's strong points are neutrality and resolution of fine detail. Those qualities leave a lot of air around instruments, but probably don't do much for channel separation. Are there some binaural recordings people use to test 3D imaging? Because stereo studio recordings don't give much basis to judge spatial imaging.

Dec 19, 2013 at 12:29 AM Post #2,244 of 12,748
Have you heard the Amber Rubarth   Sessions from the 17th ward cd from Chesky records?  It' s a binaural recording that was recommended on the 2013 winter buyers guide.  It's available on spotify and it has great 3d imaging.  I plan on purchasing it on hdtracks.com simply to help support the binaural recordings.  Some of them truly are magical and i hope they add more genres.

Dec 19, 2013 at 1:07 AM Post #2,245 of 12,748
Have you heard the Amber Rubarth   Sessions from the 17th ward cd from Chesky records?  It' s a binaural recording that was recommended on the 2013 winter buyers guide.  It's available on spotify and it has great 3d imaging.  I plan on purchasing it on hdtracks.com simply to help support the binaural recordings.  Some of them truly are magical and i hope they add more genres.

Doctacosmos, which ones would you recommend as some of the best to check out?

Dec 19, 2013 at 2:50 AM Post #2,247 of 12,748

Doctacosmos, which ones would you recommend as some of the best to check out?

I would highly recommend Sessions from the 17th Ward, or Explorations in Space and Time. I've got a few other Binaural+ recordings, but these are my favorite. Can't wait to try them out with LCD-X when they arrive. 

Dec 19, 2013 at 3:29 AM Post #2,248 of 12,748
Dec 19, 2013 at 4:10 AM Post #2,250 of 12,748
The LCD-X's strong points are neutrality and resolution of fine detail.

For me the LCD-X is far away from beeing neutral. Bass impact is to much and drowns the mids and treble.
Maybe the sound signature changed after burn in (40h of continious use). I don't listen to it in the last 1,5 days but today in the evening I will.
Hopefully the the signature changed more into neutral than into warm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back