Audeze LCD-X
Dec 10, 2013 at 9:07 AM Post #1,996 of 12,748
Sounds like you think the 'X' is reasonably good figaro :D

When you've got time I'd like to hear how they sound with the Taboo :popcorn:

The taboo is next in line...I'm afraid that tubes will make them cross the line and get closer to the LCD-3 in sound (i.e., lush; from what I've heard, since I have never owned or listened to the LCD3s).  But since everything sounds great out of the Taboo, I wouldn't be surprised if the LCDXs shine with them too.

I have the LCD3s and I think that more than "lush" they are more neutral by a good bit than were the LCD2.2s were. From this review I could be forgiven for thinking you were describing the LCD3 phones. BUT listening via the Gungnir/Mjolnir and everyone says that is a forward slightly bright tilted amp so maybe that is a preface that should be stated. Also the Silver Widow has put the final polishing touches on the system but would love to audition the LCD-X to compare with the 3s. While it is compelling to consider getting the LCD-X, I just have to wonder how the next-gen LCD flagship might sound if the LCD-X are as good as everyone is raving about them. Because I can guarantee my LCD3s are other-worldly great. And this is with a source and amp that is not in the ultra-high dollar range...

Since I own the 3s and they are simply sounding sublime I will likely wait for the new flagship phones to be offered and go from there. Suffering thru listening to the 3s but oh well someone has to do it... Plus just spent 8 grand on a set of new Garrett ball bearing twin turbochargers for my beloved cummins turbodiesel so kind of tapped out for now. Would like to read some more reviews of the Audeze phones!

Dec 10, 2013 at 10:30 AM Post #1,997 of 12,748
My Taboo MK3 and balanced Toxic Silver Widow just came in. I am floored! I cannot believe my ears! 

Ok...I am entering my honeymoon now... Please do not disturb... :))

Dec 10, 2013 at 1:24 PM Post #1,999 of 12,748
*knock* *knock* *knock* *knock* Housekeeping...
very_evil_smiley.gif

se

It looks sooooo...good and sounds so damn good that you just want to :

h01E3.gif

:))

Dec 10, 2013 at 2:26 PM Post #2,000 of 12,748
It looks sooooo...good and sounds so damn good that you just want to :

http://songdrops.com/pug-licking-screen-clean/ 

Hmmm. Not getting anything (perhaps a Flash issue since I'm on my iPad), but it did have a description.

When a friend of mine sent me a photo of him gripping a guitar cable I made for him in his teeth, I thought of doing a spoof for a brand of cables called Flav-R-Cables where the cables were offered in various flavors. Maybe someone should run with that. Perhaps tie in with the Jelly Belly folks. :D

se

Dec 10, 2013 at 4:13 PM Post #2,001 of 12,748
Hmmm. Not getting anything (perhaps a Flash issue since I'm on my iPad), but it did have a description.

When a friend of mine sent me a photo of him gripping a guitar cable I made for him in his teeth, I thought of doing a spoof for a brand of cables called Flav-R-Cables where the cables were offered in various flavors. Maybe someone should run with that. Perhaps tie in with the Jelly Belly folks.
biggrin.gif

se

It was a flash, yes . Edited the message above with a gif :D 

h01E3.gif

Dec 10, 2013 at 9:41 PM Post #2,005 of 12,748
  Okay...so today I received the LCD-Xs.  I listened to them for approximately three hours.  The gear I used: Oppo BDP-95 Universal Player; Ray Samuels Darkstar Headphone Amp (connected by balanced Black Dragon [copper] Moon Audio interconnect cables); Moon Audio Silver Dragon replacement headphone cable (balanced, 4-pin).

Only three hours listening to them (listened to both classical and rock, more specifically the Mahler 6th symphony SACD recording conducted by Ivan Fischer and Dire Straits Greatest Hits double album).  Since I just got them, no burning time was given to the headphones.  The Silver Dragon cable arrived today with the headphones, so they have not been burned either.  Just as a point of reference, I own multiple headamps besides the Darkstar (i.e., CSP2; Taboo; Headroom Ultra Desktop Amp; Burson Soloist; Grace 902B).  I also have a large collection of top-of-the-line headphones that include the HD800, HE-6, T1, Ultrasone ed. 8, Ultrason ed. 12, Fostex TH900, Audio Technica's Raffinato and ATH3000anv, AKG 701, Beyer T5p, Audeze LCD2, Grado PS-1000, and Grado RS1.  The ones I've never heard are the SR009, LCD3, Sennheiser Orfeus (or for that matter, I've never heard an electrostatic headphone).  I am prefacing my impressions of the LCD-Xs with this information so that you are aware about my experience regarding headphone listening and where I am coming from with regard to what I hear from the LCD-Xs.

Let me start by saying that these are, without a doubt, the most perfect pair of headphones I've heard in my life.  Mind you, I haven't burned these, and I don't truly expect them to get any better than the way the sound right out of the box.  It is, in my opinion, not even close...these are the best I've heard, PERIOD!  One can always say with a pair of headphones something like..."it has great treble, but...", "it had great mids, but..", "it has great bass, but...", "it has a big soundstage, but...", etc.  Believe me when I say that the LCD-Xs are the first pair of headphones with which I found myself saying, "there is nothing to fault...there is nothing to nitpick at...this is perfection!".  Even though there is a somewhat dark mahogany hue to the sound that is extremely seductive and addictive, nothing is really colored or overly prominent with these miraculous headphones.  I guess this is what they call "neutral" or "monitor-like".

These headphones sound amazing with large orchestral classical; they also sound amazing with Rock.  Three hours listening to them and I could have gone 10 straight hours without experiencing ear fatigue.  There is no sibilance, period.  The bass is there with just the right amount and quality; the mids are liquid and creamy, the treble is extended, yet never fatiguing; the soundstage is large, but not unnatural so or artificial/cavernous like I feel that of the HD800s can sound at times; they are detailed, but the details do not distract you from the gestalt of the music.  This is not a U-shaped sounding headphone, yet it is still a supremely FUN pair of headphones to listen to.  Everything is just in the right place...they give the listener (or at least this listener) everything he/she wishes for.  Even though the reviews at Head-Fi have been virtually unanimous in praising these headphones, they have been, if anything rather tame considering what I heard tonight.

Since my LCD2s are probably my least favorite pair of headphones in my stable, I was definitely not expecting the LCD-X to floor me the way they did.  This is a mixture of clinical and romantic sound, blended together, that I just thought  would be impossible to produce in a pair of headphones.  You just sit there, with the headphones on top of your head, and you just forget about the gear...you are simply there in a real venue listening to the musicians...nothing is highlighted; nothing is intrusive...you are just there enjoying the performance.  Not a cacophonous, piercing, or flabby sound emanates from these headphones.  It is just sublime perfection.

It is worth mentioning that the LCD-Xs feel, if anything, less heavy than the LCD2s.  I think the engineers and designers at Audeze have done a remarkable job at evenly distributing the weight of these headphones in a way that they just simply disappear from one's head after a while despite their weight.  Moreover, the pads are very comfortable (and they have that lovely smell of new car to them) and cushy.  I was afraid about weight and fit since the Audeze LCD2s are, probably, the most uncomfortable pair of headphones I have in my stable - the HE-6s running a close second in that regard - and I can't even wear them for more than 30 minutes without feeling like my head is inside a vise and holding the weight of the world.

I have no idea how the Audeze engineers were able to come up with perfection.  Maybe the Orpheus and SR009 are even better than the LCD-Xs, but I find it just impossible to think that anything can sound better than these.  I am just in awe of these headphones...it sounds like they have been designed by God himself.  Maybe my Darkstar and balanced cables are major contributors to the magic I am experiencing...who knows.  Are these supposed to get better following a burn-in period...I can't truly imagine that perfection can get any more perfect.  Oh, my goodness....We have a new King of Kings.  This is not hyperbole, new toy syndrome, or me wanting to like them because I just spent $1,700 and they are being driven by a trophy headamp.  I had never experienced this feeling, with regard to headphones, before in my life.  I just feel like I have just reached the apex of Mount Everest...and when I look around I see much smaller mountains each bearing the names of the rest of the headphones in my collection.  You owe it to yourself to listen to these.  Words cannot describe what I experienced tonight...Figaro is in a trance...in ecstasy!

Great write up! I agree with your sentiments on just how great these cans are!

Dec 11, 2013 at 1:01 AM Post #2,007 of 12,748
Now, here we go again with the LCD-Xs, but now being driven (single ended) by the Decware Taboo.  My taboo is the SE84TS (from about two to three years ago), not the newer version.  This one uses the 12AX7/12AT7/12AU7/5751 variant tubes at the input stage; the new version uses the 6922 tube at the input stage (i.e., I am thinking that the newer version is better sounding than mine since I love the 6922 tubes and I've never been to0 crazy with the 12AX7 et al tubes).  So, I tried various tubes and I always got similar results.  To put it bluntly, the Taboo is unable to take the LCD-Xs to the lofty heights of Mount Olympus.  I don't think the problem is with the Taboo itself...rather, it is a problem of using a tube amplifier, period!  The problem is that once you tube-it-up, so to speak, with the LCD-Xs, the sound is no longer as tight, pristine, dynamic, and awe-inspiring as it was with the powerful solid-state Ray Samuels Darkstar.  Okay, so they don't sound awful either, but suddenly the Audezes no longer stand head-and-shoulders above the other flagships, but rather, it starts to sound closer in quality to the HD800s and T1s of the world...suddenly it has become a horse race and one is left undecided as to which of the three is the best of the of the bunch.  Moreover, the Audezes have always had a magic of their own in the mid range...adding more wetness and cream in that area of the spectrum via tubes is like gilding the lily...I truly consider it to be unnecessary and crossing the line into being "too lush" for its own good.  Out of the Taboo the sound is more diffuse, warmer...in a word, more LCD-2-like in quality of sound.

I am starting to think now that the way to go with the LCD-Xs is by using a powerful solid state amp.  I am thinking that the Burson Soloist (4 watts, it I remember correctly) and the EF-6 (which are obviously much cheaper than my Darkstar) are going to do quite a job with the LCD-Xs.  Since I have both in my headamp stable, I shall report how they perform with the Audezes within a couple of days.  While efficient, my ears are telling me that lean and mean (as is clear-as-a-whistle, high-powered solid state) is the way to go with the LCD-Xs.  Although it may ultimately be that the Darkstar is better than the Soloist and EF-6, I have the suspicion that such is not going to be the case...it is probably a matter of pure power (or current, I don't know which of the two) rather than high cost that will likely prevail in this case.  The magic that I have experienced with the Darkstar is just not there (maybe 85% of it) with the Taboo.  Oh, I also have to consider that the Darkstar is fully balanced...that may ultimately be the reason (maybe not) why the LCD-Xs sound so good out of the Darkstar.  I played the Audezes with the Darkstar again right after driving then with the Taboo and the difference is not subtle...it is clearly patent.  I used brighter-sounding, neutral-sounding, and darker sounding tubes, but nothing really worked the way I wanted...I was always left lusting for the sound that the LCD-X and the Darkstar make.  I still have plenty of amps to play with, so we'll see how things turn out.  So, all in all, kinda disappointed with the Taboo in this one, even though it plays most of my other headphones superbly.

Dec 11, 2013 at 1:43 AM Post #2,009 of 12,748
  Looking forward to reading your impression with the EF-6! If you could compare to the HE-6 on the same amp, that would just be perfect!

The HE-6 SUCKS being driven out of the EF-6, yet most of my headphones sound wonderful being driven by the EF-6 (go figure).  I'm not kidding...six watts is not enough power for the HE-6s...some people even think that the Darkstar does not have enough power (I think otherwise) to drive the HE-6s to their full potential.  I am betting that the EF-6/LCD-X combo will be awesome...but I may be wrong.  I am making such an assumption given that the EF-6 is a warmer-sounding powerful amp just as the Darkstar is.  The only potential pitfall is that the unlike the Darkstar, the EF-6 is not fully balanced (i.e., they cannot be connected to a balanced source...you have to connect the amp with RCA cables) even though you can connect the headphones to the amp via a four-pin balanced cable (i.e., in other words, it is for all intents and purposes it is single-ended just as the Burson Soloist is).  We'll see how things start to develop within the next couple of days!

Dec 11, 2013 at 3:52 AM Post #2,010 of 12,748
On Saturday I will have the opportunity to listen to the new LCD-X but I'm a little bit scared about the measurement http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AudezeLCDX.pdf
The differenz between channel left and right (chapter THD and noise) are significant like sometimes measured from LCD-3. It seems they have some quality issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back