Audeze LCD-X
Dec 2, 2013 at 11:14 PM Post #1,817 of 12,748
  Or you can do what I do (as I also listen to mostly CDs); use your CDP as a transport only and output the digital to a better DAC. 
evil_smiley.gif

That could be done...But I am kind of lazy and electronics illiterate...You may as well be talking in Chinese to me (LOL).

Dec 3, 2013 at 6:20 PM Post #1,820 of 12,748
I think AA is suggesting different gear suits the LCD3 than the LCDX, and that this might make a larger difference than genre as to which of the two phones is preferable for a given listener.

Seems a reasonable hypothesis to me although - it being early days for the LCDX - I think a lot more experience with a lot more gear is needed to know whether it's right or wrong.

Dec 3, 2013 at 6:27 PM Post #1,821 of 12,748
I think AA is suggesting different gear suits the LCD3 than the LCDX, and that this might make a larger difference than genre as to which of the two phones is preferable for a given listener.

Seems a reasonable hypothesis to me although - it being early days for the LCDX - I think a lot more experience with a lot more gear is needed to know whether it's right or wrong.

I have lots of gear (except that my sources are an Oppo universal player and a Marantz SACD, both of which are simply wonderful).  I'll adjust what needs to be adjusted to make them sound great with classical.  Trial and error.  But I'm not getting another CD player or a DAC...I think changing Amps, Tubes, and cables (i.e., silver vs. copper) will be enough to make minor adjustments to get the best out of the LCD-X when it comes to classical recordings.  The Oppo and Marantz are just fine in my book...no need to upgrade these.  Now, I played music straight out of a computer or memory drive, of course I would be looking for a DAC; but since, I don't, I won't.  Remember...I'm a Neanderthal.

Dec 3, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #1,822 of 12,748

Yeah, I was scratching my head about that one too, but I think you (AiDee) are right in your interpretation.

I have high hopes that the LCD-X will not be as picky (at least in terms of amps) as other orthos, especially considering their efficiency. 

Dec 3, 2013 at 7:12 PM Post #1,823 of 12,748
  Yeah, I was scratching my head about that one too, but I think you (AiDee) are right in your interpretation.

I have high hopes that the LCD-X will not be as picky (at least in terms of amps) as other orthos, especially considering their efficiency.

From what I can gather, The Burson Soloist (which I own) could be a great match.  I have the Ray Samuels Darkstar, which is supposed to be darker sounding, yet it does an amazingly good job with the LCD2s even with copper interconnects (from Moon Audio) and headphone replacement cable (from ALO audio), so I have high hopes for the LCD-X...and I have the Decware Taboo with many different tubes to roll to see how if tubes add something positive to the mix.  It will be interesting once the stork brings my new babies home!!!

Dec 3, 2013 at 10:50 PM Post #1,824 of 12,748
^ The Taboo is certainly a great match with the LCD2, and it's very responsive to tube-rolling.

I don't yet have an X, and can't comment on that match. From the descriptions so far I imagine quite different tubes would be needed. Impedance-matching should not be a problem as Taboo II was originally designed for 6-16 ohm speakers...

Dec 3, 2013 at 11:13 PM Post #1,825 of 12,748

Smack on. Thanks AiDee.  That's exactly what I'm thinking... 

Sorry for the lack of clarity...

The reason for such hypothesising and taking it a little further:

Been reading this thread and thinking about the LCD3 and the LCDX. Seriously, I hear the strengths of the LCDX and think - yeah that's what I really want. Then read of the relative strengths of the 3s and think - I need that.

For someone only wanting to own one set of headphones, your trying to find the right compromise. Or perhaps to the contrary, the one with the least compromise. Listen to classical (at least the more complex variety) and it's suggested: LCDX, it's more open with a bigger soundstage and perhaps better imaging. Fine. But also love unaccompanied Cello and Jazz and it's suggested: Go the 3s. Etc et al... and I guess  you can add the 2s and say it's an edgier approach to Rock.

If you really enjoy all genres of music, what do you do? Buy one and influence the sound further with Amp and aftermarket cable selections? Perhaps buy the Xs and warm the sound up a little with certain tubes to get back a little of the 'yummy' and 'liquid' sound the 3s seem to be famous for, and the Xs are said to lack. Or buy the 3s and work back the other way with balanced sliver cables and a pretty straight playing amp. Or if you already have a decent amp... maybe that governs to some extent which phones would be better in attempting to play the sound down the middle and tick more boxes associated with relative strengths of each of this Audeze phones...

Just thinking aloud.. maybe even more unclear... I've only ever used one amp. and one set of phones so I'm speculating beyond both experience and knowledge... I'm thinking of a new system and involving a set of Audeze in that....

I'll keep reading...

Dec 4, 2013 at 1:56 AM Post #1,827 of 12,748
^ The Taboo is certainly a great match with the LCD2, and it's very responsive to tube-rolling.

I don't yet have an X, and can't comment on that match. From the descriptions so far I imagine quite different tubes would be needed. Impedance-matching should not be a problem as Taboo II was originally designed for 6-16 ohm speakers...

The taboo is lovely with the LCD2s.  Siemens tubes and a Philips rectifier do the trick for the LCD2s.

Dec 4, 2013 at 1:58 AM Post #1,828 of 12,748
  Smack on. Thanks AiDee.  That's exactly what I'm thinking...

Sorry for the lack of clarity...

The reason for such hypothesising and taking it a little further:

Been reading this thread and thinking about the LCD3 and the LCDX. Seriously, I hear the strengths of the LCDX and think - yeah that's what I really want. Then read of the relative strengths of the 3s and think - I need that.

For someone only wanting to own one set of headphones, your trying to find the right compromise. Or perhaps to the contrary, the one with the least compromise. Listen to classical (at least the more complex variety) and it's suggested: LCDX, it's more open with a bigger soundstage and perhaps better imaging. Fine. But also love unaccompanied Cello and Jazz and it's suggested: Go the 3s. Etc et al... and I guess  you can add the 2s and say it's an edgier approach to Rock.

If you really enjoy all genres of music, what do you do? Buy one and influence the sound further with Amp and aftermarket cable selections? Perhaps buy the Xs and warm the sound up a little with certain tubes to get back a little of the 'yummy' and 'liquid' sound the 3s seem to be famous for, and the Xs are said to lack. Or buy the 3s and work back the other way with balanced sliver cables and a pretty straight playing amp. Or if you already have a decent amp... maybe that governs to some extent which phones would be better in attempting to play the sound down the middle and tick more boxes associated with relative strengths of each of this Audeze phones...

Just thinking aloud.. maybe even more unclear... I've only ever used one amp. and one set of phones so I'm speculating beyond both experience and knowledge... I'm thinking of a new system and involving a set of Audeze in that....

I'll keep reading...

Now it's clear.

Dec 4, 2013 at 3:21 AM Post #1,829 of 12,748
AudioAspirant it is already said that LCDX have Audeze housesound even out of the Mjolnir..so what do you want to know more, I guess it is sure still darker hp than most but a little more neutral than LCD3 (for me more neutral means better hp). If you want more universal hp, LCDX seems to be clear choice.  And if LCD3 will be a little better with some songs, honestly who care :D..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back