Audeze LCD-X
Nov 30, 2013 at 9:15 AM Post #1,711 of 12,748
  Another option is to get a better DAC with either the Soloist or the Mjolnir. They are transparent enough the SQ will scale. Many of the problems with the ocassional grit of the M/G are due to the G which is not sounding refined enough compared to higher end offerings.

oh?

maybe thats why i personally do not like the sound of the M/G stack even with audezes, and i find the lcd-2 to be the best match with it.

Nov 30, 2013 at 9:23 AM Post #1,713 of 12,748
I picked up a B.M.C. PureDac as an all-in-one to use with my -X.  When it comes in, I'll give some impressions.  I had the Mjolnir and Gungnir combo with me LCD-2 last year, and Gungnir with WA2 for my HD800, so this new DAC should sound different enough to what I'm used to for me to have an opinion.

Nov 30, 2013 at 10:24 AM Post #1,714 of 12,748
  Another option is to get a better DAC with either the Soloist or the Mjolnir. They are transparent enough the SQ will scale. Many of the problems with the ocassional grit of the M/G are due to the G which is not sounding refined enough compared to higher end offerings.

Man, now you've got me thinking. Can you name a few DACs that will pair well with the Mojo ?

Thanks

Nov 30, 2013 at 10:56 AM Post #1,716 of 12,748
Thanks.
Keep it coming Barry. 
popcorn.gif

Jason said Vali would output about 700mW into a 22 ohm headphone load. Would seemingly be plenty for the LCDX.

Nov 30, 2013 at 1:12 PM Post #1,717 of 12,748
+2

I haven´t used the Gungnir for a long time, because the NAD M51 is simply a superb DAC in comparison. M51 + Mjolnir + any Audeze = Oh yeah.

Quote:

Nov 30, 2013 at 1:52 PM Post #1,718 of 12,748
  Man, now you've got me thinking. Can you name a few DACs that will pair well with the Mojo ?

Thanks

The DAC market is very competitive these days. In the higher tiers I generally found the very good DACs are both very technical but at the same time sounding refined, organic and not too "digital" or harsh. And it's not the laid back and warm kind of "organic", but again very technical and precise with strong instrument separation, clean background and open sound. I am actually starting to favour a very neutral and as transparent as possible amplifier with one of these bad boys DACs to do the "voicing".

There are so many and I would start looking at NAD M51, PWD2 (used they go for a lot cheaper than RRP - $1.7-2k these days), Chord QuteHD. The Soloist/MJ amps are good enough to let you hear a startling difference up to something like a MSB Analog (this one I've not heard, just quoting friends). Obviously SQ also improves with better amps, so in the end one would want both at the highest level possible. :)

Nov 30, 2013 at 2:17 PM Post #1,719 of 12,748

The DAC market is very competitive these days. In the higher tiers I generally found the very good DACs are both very technical but at the same time sounding refined, organic and not too "digital" or harsh. And it's not the laid back and warm kind of "organic", but again very technical and precise with strong instrument separation, clean background and open sound. I am actually starting to favour a very neutral and as transparent as possible amplifier with one of these bad boys DACs to do the "voicing".

There are so many and I would start looking at NAD M51, PWD2 (used they go for a lot cheaper than RRP - $1.7-2k these days), Chord QuteHD. The Soloist/MJ amps are good enough to let you hear a startling difference up to something like a MSB Analog (this one I've not heard, just quoting friends). Obviously SQ also improves with better amps, so in the end one would want both at the highest level possible. :)

I totally agree. I just couldn't believe my ears how the sound quality scaled with MSB Analog Dac and Burson Conductor. It was just amazing. I am curious how it would have sounded with a better amp but from then I am quite positive that if you already have a potent amp, dacs make a bigger difference.

Nov 30, 2013 at 3:06 PM Post #1,720 of 12,748

This was my first reaction on LCD-3 vs LCD-2 as I said to you :

With the convincing yourself that is another story. I however never had to convince myself, because I usually had the opportunity of hearing the product before buying it.

Well posted, Dan.  You've brought a lot of logic, reason, color and even music to this thread.  Thanks.

Nov 30, 2013 at 3:20 PM Post #1,722 of 12,748

For the LCD-3s, I'd say an amp that could do about 2W into 50 ohms would be sufficient for them to really open up. For the LCD-X, quite a bit lower...even 500mA sounded fantastic driving them.

Thanks, MH.  That sounds great as I just ordered my first DAC/amp combo to arrive mid-December.  The B/A2.  Really looking forward to hearing the X powered by a decent stack for the first time!!

Nov 30, 2013 at 6:58 PM Post #1,723 of 12,748
Well I bit the bullet and went with a pair of LCD-2's for the Black Friday $800 price tag. Hopefully they be a good start for me since I'm coming from a pair of B&W P5's.

Nov 30, 2013 at 10:34 PM Post #1,725 of 12,748
+1 

next to beats and bose and the grado ps1000,  the p5 rank amongst the worst headphones i've heard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back