Audeze LCD-X
Nov 30, 2013 at 4:24 AM Post #1,696 of 12,748
You guys are trying to make this difficult on me! I just read the Woo Audio WA7 Fireflies works well with the LCD-3 & X, and it only puts out 1 watt @ 32 ohms, so I figure the Peachtree Audio NovaPre headphone output might be just about as good too. It's got a pretty good DAC in it too like the fireflies.

Nov 30, 2013 at 4:38 AM Post #1,697 of 12,748
You guys are trying to make this difficult on me! I just read the Woo Audio WA7 Fireflies works well with the LCD-3 & X, and it only puts out 1 watt @ 32 ohms, so I figure the Peachtree Audio NovaPre headphone output might be just about as good too. It's got a pretty good DAC in it too like the fireflies.

I may have missed your earlier posts but what genre of music do you prefer ?

Nov 30, 2013 at 4:45 AM Post #1,698 of 12,748
mostly rock, electic & acoustic, some jazz but no classical

Nov 30, 2013 at 4:52 AM Post #1,700 of 12,748
ok good to know, i kind of figured they were more geared towards rockers with a name like schiit

Nov 30, 2013 at 4:58 AM Post #1,701 of 12,748
ok good to know, i kind of figured they were more geared towards rockers with a name like schiit

You got it. While I have sampled only a limited range of amps, for some reason, I find the Hifimans to pair better with the Burson while the Schiit stacks up better with the Audez'es 9got both the Bifrost/Lyr and the G/M). Again, only my observations so take it with either a pinch or a whole barrel of salt 
wink.gif

Nov 30, 2013 at 5:11 AM Post #1,702 of 12,748
so what schiit amps would you recommend for the different Audeze's? LCD2/3/X, all of which I'm considering. Is there any pairing that works exceptionally well?

Nov 30, 2013 at 5:23 AM Post #1,703 of 12,748
The Mjolnir works exceptionally well with all of those three. 

Nov 30, 2013 at 5:40 AM Post #1,704 of 12,748
I was leaning strongly towards the LCD-X, but with these Black Friday prices I could purchase a pair of Sennheiser HD700's, HiFiMan HE-400's and Audeze LCD-2.2's all for only $50 more than the LCD-X.

Nov 30, 2013 at 6:25 AM Post #1,706 of 12,748
  +1. I prefer Bifrost/Lyr for the 2.2, the G/M combo for the 3 and the XC. Don't get me wrong....the G/M is great for the 2.2, except I keep the 2.2 in my office with the Bifrost/Lyr (lucky to get an office to myself 
biggrin.gif
).

I love the LYR with the 2.2 ... just bear in mind that you need to get the right tube ... with the right tube (at least in my system) it beats the Mjolnir (to my preference), but this would be an unpopular opinion - and even then it is close ... the Mjolnir is safer ... but I'm happy where I am for the time being.

Nov 30, 2013 at 6:41 AM Post #1,707 of 12,748
From my experience with Burson and Schiit amps, I found Schiit Lyr to be a fine pairing with both LCD-2 and HE-500, but not LCD-3. The Lyr could also drive the HE-6, but it wasn't ideal. Schiit Mjolnir, on the other hand, was an exceptional pairing with LCD-3, but poor with HE-6 despite delivering more power.

The Burson Soloist was also superb with LCD-3, a tad warmer than Mjolnir and IMO better than the Mjolnir when it comes to driving the LCD-3. The Soloist was also one of the best sub-$1K amps I've heard with HE-500, but with HE-6 it was just lacking in power.

I think the LCD-X will fare well with both Soloist and Mjolnir, based on what people are saying.

Nov 30, 2013 at 7:47 AM Post #1,708 of 12,748
Burson's are great all-rounder amps. The fact that they often get compared to competition twice or even thrice their price speaks says a lot. The HE-6 is a special exception since it only seems to work when driven by an Imperial Star Destroyer, but for most of the other summit-fi offerings, Bursons are more than adequate.

Nov 30, 2013 at 7:56 AM Post #1,709 of 12,748
Burson's are great all-rounder amps. The fact that they often get compared to competition twice or even thrice their price speaks says a lot. The HE-6 is a special exception since it only seems to work when driven by an Imperial Star Destroyer, but for most of the other summit-fi offerings, Bursons are more than adequate.

Does it?  I hear that exact sentiment about every piece of gear that people praise on this board.  I'm calling shenanigans on that whole concept.  It's meaningless (almost marketing) nonsense.

Although, I've heard that about the Bursons. :)

Nov 30, 2013 at 8:10 AM Post #1,710 of 12,748
Another option is to get a better DAC with either the Soloist or the Mjolnir. They are transparent enough the SQ will scale. Many of the problems with the ocassional grit of the M/G are due to the G which is not sounding refined enough compared to higher end offerings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back