Audeze LCD-X
Nov 23, 2013 at 7:29 AM Post #1,456 of 12,748
  A newbie jumping right into one of the best headphones on earth? I like your style, bro 
beerchug.gif

Well...I figured what was the point of starting with lower-end gear, and eventually getting a high-end rig? I would "save" some money by starting at the top. Or at least...that's how I justify it to my wallet... 
tongue.gif

Nov 23, 2013 at 7:36 AM Post #1,457 of 12,748

I have a feeling that both of these phones are so much better than anything I've ever heard that I won't regret either purchase. However, it would be nice to get input from much more experienced audio folks. I hope I'm not asking too much here. Thanks very much! 
biggrin.gif

Just a word of caution about high expectations and reading too much into the hype on this site. When Audeze came up with the LCD-2 I kept reading the first reviews over and was frothing at the month knowing it would be THE PERFECT headphone and that I just had to get a pair. 
I was lucky  enough to be  able to try it before buying it so saved quite a lot of money.

Nov 23, 2013 at 8:02 AM Post #1,458 of 12,748
For those not willing to commit to a sale (even with the 30 day guarantee many sites offer), why not 'rent' from The Cable Company headphone library. Only down side is you are sort of committed to buying something from them, if not the headphones you end up auditioning, since you end up racking up credit at their store. They charge your credit card 5% of the total cost of the headphone you are auditioning, plus shipping. You could audition both LCDX and 3 at the same time, although it may take a while for both to be available at the same time. They have yet to have the LCDX available, but that should be soon. They don't have all headphones; I was interested to check out the Fostex TH900, but not available. Anyhow, just another option for those on the fence. If you do return headphones from companies with 30 return policies, there will be shipping costs involved (likely, both ways).

Nov 23, 2013 at 8:15 AM Post #1,459 of 12,748
  Well...after about 3 weeks with these fantastic headphones, I've finally got around to publishing my own review here:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/audeze-lcd-x/reviews/9976

Yet another winner by Audeze IMHO and I couldn't recommend them any higher. 
smile.gif

The LCD-X by a hair over the LCD-3s 
eek.gif
  Never thought I'd read that.  Good review Peter, really like the music you used, I really could relate.

Nov 23, 2013 at 8:48 AM Post #1,461 of 12,748
leesure,

Having just noticed on your profile that you are using the legendary Celestion SL600 speakers - one of my all time favorites - I am looking forward to auditioning the LCDX soon, as it appears we may share similar tastes in hi fi. Since you also own the XC, if sound isolation were not so much of an issue, could you say which of the two headphones would be your preference?

thanks!

Nov 23, 2013 at 9:24 AM Post #1,462 of 12,748
Hello Head-Fi, I'm a total newbie when it comes to audio, and am looking for advice. I'm hoping someone who owns either the LCD-X's or LCD-3's (perhaps both?) can answer a couple questions for me, and help me make up my mind between the LCD-3's and LCD-X's. I don't have much experience with headphones of this quality, and have only owned a variety of gaming headsets for awhile now. The closest I've come to a quality listening experience (recently) are Corsair 2500 speakers plugged into a STX Essence. I'm looking to buy one of these headphones as my primary (and only) headphone for possibly a long time. From all I've read about the many high-end phones, it seems the Audeze's would agree with me the most. For a little background... I listen to a variety of music, but mostly: classical (mostly romantic and modern classical such as Stravinsky, Prokofiev, etc), classic rock (Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, etc), and electronic (Daft Punk, Kraftwerk, Vangelis, etc). I would also be using the headphones very often to watch movies and anime.

I've read here that the X's support more genres of music comfortably, while the 3's excel in rock, but are outclassed in classical for example due to the X's supposed better highs and soundstage. I've seen the X's described as "neutral" and "airy" in the highs. The 3's are apparently "darker" and more "musical" and easier to listen to for extended periods. Without actually hearing both myself, the immense amount of rhetoric written regarding these headphones has led me to several different questions...

LCD-X

-Is the treble excessively sharp or bright? To the extent that they might be considered harsh? Or does that only apply as a comparison to the darker 3's? I've always found excessive treble to be very difficult and straining to listen to.

-The headphones have been described as "neutral" and "flat". This doesn't necessarily imply lifelessness, but are the headphones also "fun" to listen to? I'm not really interested in incredibly analytical headphones. I would like a pair that I could listen to for very long periods, and have a "natural" listening sound... if I'm even making sense.

LCD-3

-Is the soundstage significantly inferior to the X's? For example, if I were listening to a large orchestra, would the 3's feel congested by comparison? Or are they very close?

-In that vein, I've read that the 3's handle treble poorer than the X's. Does this make the X's a clearly superior option when listening to, for instance, baroque classical music?

Finally, what headphone amp would you recommend for the X's? The 3's? Preferably $1000 or under. I've heard good things about the Schiit Mjolnir or Lyr, Burston Soloist, and some Woo Audio stuff. Pointing me in the right direction here would be greatly appreciated! I'll probably use my STX as a dac for the time being, and perhaps upgrade to a Bifrost/DA-160/etc later.

I have a feeling that both of these phones are so much better than anything I've ever heard that I won't regret either purchase. However, it would be nice to get input from much more experienced audio folks. I hope I'm not asking too much here. Thanks very much! :D  

One thing I need to say to you as a n00b. Please...please...please listen for yourself. Opinions are like elbows...everyone's got 2 or three. But you have to live with your decisions. It's fine to read to some reviews, but they will NOT serve as a substitute for hearing things for yourself. Find a meetup near you or rent them for places like The Cable Company. Listen for yourself!

Nov 23, 2013 at 9:27 AM Post #1,463 of 12,748
leesure,

Having just noticed on your profile that you are using the legendary Celestion SL600 speakers - one of my all time favorites - I am looking forward to auditioning the LCDX soon, as it appears we may share similar tastes in hi fi. Since you also own the XC, if sound isolation were not so much of an issue, could you say which of the two headphones would be your preference?

thanks!

If sound isolation is not an issue, is choose the X's. The XC's are very good, but they are voiced differently and I prefer the X's voicing. I'd sound isolation IS an issue, the XC's are a very good option.

Where in Upstate NY are you?

Nov 23, 2013 at 9:36 AM Post #1,464 of 12,748
If sound isolation is not an issue, is choose the X's. The XC's are very good, but they are voiced differently and I prefer the X's voicing. I'd sound isolation IS an issue, the XC's are a very good option.

Where in Upstate NY are you?

+ thats some good advice there. 

Nov 23, 2013 at 9:44 AM Post #1,465 of 12,748
Well...I figured what was the point of starting with lower-end gear, and eventually getting a high-end rig? I would "save" some money by starting at the top. Or at least...that's how I justify it to my wallet... :p

You need to listen to both the LCD-X and LCD-3 to make a decision. As zenpunk mentioned, you may prefer something else entirely to the Audeze sound (and weight). The LCD-X treble is detailed and present, but not overbright or shrill. The LCD-3 soundstage (one of the most used, but worst defined terms on headfi) doesn't strike me as significantly different from the LCD-X.

Classical and acoustic music benefit greatly from detailed transparent headphones that accurately reproduce the timbres and subtle harmonics of instruments--both the LCD-3 and LCD-X fit these criteria. In my opinion, headphones that run a little bright are best with dense orchestral music. If I listened to a steady diet of symphonies, I'd probably get an HD800.

TL;DR. Audition as many headphones as you can before buying, using a decent amp/source.

Nov 23, 2013 at 1:16 PM Post #1,466 of 12,748
If classical music is what you listen to, then the LCD-X sounds like the best choice.  If you want a jack of all trades (sounds good with any type of music you throw at it), then the LCD-X is the one you want.  If you like anything but classical music and don't want your ears to feel fatigued at all, then LCD-3 is your man.  It sounds like the LCD-3 is like an older distinguished gentleman you enjoy the company of for hours at a time while you are drinking a single malt Scotch and smoking a nice cigar.   I haven't actually heard the LCD-3 and the LCD-X, but there appears to be a consensus here from what I've been able to ascertain.  Let's say that both are the best at what they are supposed to do.  For me, it would be the LCD-X since I listen mostly to classical music and daddy needs smooth but extended treble!!!.  By the way, the LCD-2 is atrocious with classical music (i.e., atrocious being a relative term, since it is only so relative to the performance of the T1, HD800, TH-900, HE-6, PS-1000, and K701) given that it is so thick sounding, with no treble to speak of, and has a soundstage is the size of a matchbox (all relatively speaking, though, since it does everything but classical music superlatively).  I would expect the LCD-3 to be more of the same with classical music, albeit with more finesse, a larger soundstage, and a bit more treble.  By what I've been reading, the LCD-X strikes me as the equivalent to the T1, which is a great all-rounder.  If you know what you like, you'll know where to find it.  They are all great headphones with the right kind of music.

Haven't heard the LCD-X yet, but the LCD-3 can be very enjoyable with classical music. While very amp dependent, those lush mids can make stringed instruments sound great. And while the sound signature is very different from, say, the HD800's, the LCD-3 treble is not lacking. I have both of these phones and listen almost exclusively to classical. They are a great complement to one another.

That said, if you are looking for 1 set of phones to do it all, and you listen to a lot of classical, the HD800 and LCD-X should probably be auditioned prior to the LCD-3. If, however, you already have HD800's, then the LCD-3's are worth a listen, as they may just be different enough to offer a very enjoyable alternative soundscape.

Nov 23, 2013 at 1:37 PM Post #1,468 of 12,748

The LCD-X by a hair over the LCD-3s 
eek.gif
  Never thought I'd read that.  Good review Peter, really like the music you used, I really could relate.

Thanks Darryl.

One thing I need to say to you as a n00b. Please...please...please listen for yourself. Opinions are like elbows...everyone's got 2 or three. But you have to live with your decisions. It's fine to read to some reviews, but they will NOT serve as a substitute for hearing things for yourself. Find a meetup near you or rent them for places like The Cable Company. Listen for yourself!

Agreed completely.

You need to listen to both the LCD-X and LCD-3 to make a decision. As zenpunk mentioned, you may prefer something else entirely to the Audeze sound (and weight). The LCD-X treble is detailed and present, but not overbright or shrill. The LCD-3 soundstage (one of the most used, but worst defined terms on headfi) doesn't strike me as significantly different from the LCD-X.

Classical and acoustic music benefit greatly from detailed transparent headphones that accurately reproduce the timbres and subtle harmonics of instruments--both the LCD-3 and LCD-X fit these criteria. In my opinion, headphones that run a little bright are best with dense orchestral music. If I listened to a steady diet of symphonies, I'd probably get an HD800.

TL;DR. Audition as many headphones as you can before buying, using a decent amp/source.

Sound staging is about the same between them, but instrumental separation and location is better on the LCD-X to my ears.

Nov 23, 2013 at 2:04 PM Post #1,469 of 12,748
Aw man...what's with all these sensible solutions? I was hoping for a cut-and-dried, unanimous recommendation...
tongue.gif

Thanks for your suggestions, even though I think I already knew the right answer. I should demo both of these before buying. The Cable Company option sounds like a good method. 

Nov 23, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #1,470 of 12,748
  Aw man...what's with all these sensible solutions? I was hoping for a cut-and-dried, unanimous recommendation...
tongue.gif

Thanks for your suggestions, even though I think I already knew the right answer. I should demo both of these before buying. The Cable Company option sounds like a good method. 

Hey man, it all depends on how rich you are. If you got $$$ to splash around. Why not? You can sell back the gears you don't like you'll lose a few hundred dollars here and there, but you probably won't care and enjoy the ride anyway.

If not there are plenty of places with 30-day no questions asked return policies so.... you're pretty safe either way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back