Audeze LCD-X
Mar 15, 2021 at 5:07 AM Post #11,927 of 12,748
I have the original LCD-X when it came out. I also have a Schiit Loki. Does anyone have recommendations what to set the Loki to so as not to have the LCD-X sound so dark?
Try reveal plugin with audeze lcd-x preset. I know eq... But it does make a positive change.

Mar 15, 2021 at 8:42 AM Post #11,928 of 12,748
Give it a shot man - boost the 2k knob about half way or something like that and see if you like the sound a bit more. I don't have the LCD-x frequency response in front of me but it won't be anything close to perfect but it won't be nearly as dark. In the end getting Reveal+ was really easy when I upgraded to Audirvana

Mar 15, 2021 at 3:20 PM Post #11,929 of 12,748
Is it worth LCD-X for 50% over the cost of LCD-2C? what do you guys think? I can't test them. Not sure if I would prefer 2C actually, which are cheaper, or if I would prefer the LCD-X performance better even for the extra cost...

Mar 16, 2021 at 5:49 AM Post #11,930 of 12,748
Is it worth LCD-X for 50% over the cost of LCD-2C? what do you guys think? I can't test them. Not sure if I would prefer 2C actually, which are cheaper, or if I would prefer the LCD-X performance better even for the extra cost...
Only you can tell if it is worth it for you, but I can share my thoughts regarding the two headphones as I have owned them for years.
The X is noticeably heavier than the 2C, which you might want to keep in mind.

Sound-wise The 2C's only advantage is a slightly warmer midrange, tad nicer vocal tone. In everything else the X is a clear step up from the 2C. Better bass and treble extension, improved clarity across the range, more details. Brighter (but not too bright) and much more insightful treble and overall sound. The 2C is more laid back and softer, the X is more dynamic and punchy. That's it in a nutshell.

For 50% more it might or might not worth it for you. Every now and then a secondhand 2020 LCD-X pops up for about the new price of the 2C. For that money I think it is a no-brainer.

Mar 16, 2021 at 12:10 PM Post #11,931 of 12,748
Only you can tell if it is worth it for you, but I can share my thoughts regarding the two headphones as I have owned them for years.
The X is noticeably heavier than the 2C, which you might want to keep in mind.

Sound-wise The 2C's only advantage is a slightly warmer midrange, tad nicer vocal tone. In everything else the X is a clear step up from the 2C. Better bass and treble extension, improved clarity across the range, more details. Brighter (but not too bright) and much more insightful treble and overall sound. The 2C is more laid back and softer, the X is more dynamic and punchy. That's it in a nutshell.

For 50% more it might or might not worth it for you. Every now and then a secondhand 2020 LCD-X pops up for about the new price of the 2C. For that money I think it is a no-brainer.

While I agree with what you've said, I will add two more advantages the 2C has, one big, one small.

First, the bass impact on the 2C is outstanding for a planar, reaching into the level of a good dynamic driver. That's the reason I bought mine. Despite its quirks, the 2C really excels at the visceral feel of the bass. On the other hand, that bass is not as extended, detailed, or controlled as on the X, so there's a big trade-off there. You can also EQ the bass on the X to almost get to the sound of the 2C's bass, but, of course, EQ is not going to help the 2C achieve the better bass of the X.

Second, the 2C is easier to drive well. Out of a DAP or a small amp, it still sounds nearly as good. On TOTL gear, there is some improvement, but not enough to make you feel like you're missing out without it. The X is much more particular when it comes to smaller amps and scales considerably more. Worse, it's a bit unpredictable. On my DAP, the X sounds decent, but on my Black Label, with about three times the power, it doesn't. So, picking between the two headphones, you'll want to consider how you'll drive them.

Mar 16, 2021 at 12:21 PM Post #11,932 of 12,748
While I agree with what you've said, I will add two more advantages the 2C has, one big, one small.

First, the bass impact on the 2C is outstanding for a planar, reaching into the level of a good dynamic driver. That's the reason I bought mine. Despite its quirks, the 2C really excels at the visceral feel of the bass. On the other hand, that bass is not as extended, detailed, or controlled as on the X, so there's a big trade-off there. You can also EQ the bass on the X to almost get to the sound of the 2C's bass, but, of course, EQ is not going to help the 2C achieve the better bass of the X.

Second, the 2C is easier to drive well. Out of a DAP or a small amp, it still sounds nearly as good. On TOTL gear, there is some improvement, but not enough to make you feel like you're missing out without it. The X is much more particular when it comes to smaller amps and scales considerably more. Worse, it's a bit unpredictable. On my DAP, the X sounds decent, but on my Black Label, with about three times the power, it doesn't. So, picking between the two headphones, you'll want to consider how you'll drive them.
I agree with your points. Both are great headphones. The only thing I would add is that to my findings the X is able to reach the 2C's bass level on certain gear (for example adding a few dB-s on my ADI-2) while keeping the bass clearer than the 2C.
The 2C is better for a relaxed evening listening, the X is better if one really wants to rock out or just loves a more dynamic sound.

Mar 16, 2021 at 2:13 PM Post #11,933 of 12,748

Personally LCD-X is the true sweet spot in Audeze line up, in term of value and performance. The creator package price is well worth it the upgrade from 2C.

X is a bit heavy on head though, 2C considerably more comfort for long listening time.

Mar 16, 2021 at 2:32 PM Post #11,934 of 12,748
I agree with your points. Both are great headphones. The only thing I would add is that to my findings the X is able to reach the 2C's bass level on certain gear (for example adding a few dB-s on my ADI-2) while keeping the bass clearer than the 2C.
The 2C is better for a relaxed evening listening, the X is better if one really wants to rock out or just loves a more dynamic sound.

That is interesting, indeed. I could never get both the impact and the bass quantity of the X to match the 2C. But, the DSP of the ADI-2 is undoubtedly far better than the freeware Foobar add-on that I'm using for EQ.

On the other hand, since the X's bass is much better resolved it's never going to exactly match the 2C bass. Maybe that's just splitting hairs. I mean, I generally prefer the cleanest, clearest bass I can get. But sometimes, when no one is looking, I enjoy some big buzzy woolly bass too. (Don't tell anyone.) So, it's probably still a matter of taste. I was trying to convey that with my almost, but I wasn't terribly clear.

Mar 17, 2021 at 12:06 PM Post #11,936 of 12,748
I got some humming with my Violectric v200, so i am thinking about upgrading to a rme adi-2 dac or could my fiio m11 pro be plenty powerfull with balanced out?
Usually humming come from electricity problem. I don't think purchase RME will solve the problem.

Can you try with other music player, or perhaps with your phone as source to confirm not M11 Pro problem?

Mar 17, 2021 at 12:14 PM Post #11,937 of 12,748
Usually humming come from electricity problem. I don't think purchase RME will solve the problem.

Can you try with other music player, or perhaps with your phone as source to confirm not M11 Pro problem?
It is also possible that the V200 just delivers too much power to the X. The X scales well with amps, but due to its high sensitivity doesn't like too much power. I did get hum on some powerful amps, although only in high gain mode.

Mar 17, 2021 at 4:55 PM Post #11,939 of 12,748
1616014491566.png

1616014531056.png

1616014314533.png

Mar 17, 2021 at 7:12 PM Post #11,940 of 12,748
It is also possible that the V200 just delivers too much power to the X. The X scales well with amps, but due to its high sensitivity doesn't like too much power. I did get hum on some powerful amps, although only in high gain mode.

Do you think the Jotunheim 2 pairs well enough?
Maximum Power, 16 ohms: 7.5W RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 32 ohms: 6W RMS per channel

Singled ended preferable?
Maximum Power, 16 ohms: 2.4W RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 32 ohms: 2.0W RMS per channel

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back